Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Northland was a big thing in it's day. Even in the '80s, it was a delight to go to. I've already reminisced about that particular [[to Marshall Fields to Macy's) Hudson's location.
    This loss will clearly mark the end of Northland Mall [[in Southfield) and it's history. I was none too happy when Tel-12 became an outdoor strip deal. They used to have a food court, Video Game Arcade, and have antique shows or early Lego displays of landmarks. And Wonderland...well, I worked there, my brother used to buy records in the Harmony House when it was an outdoor deal, so...yeah..I have my memories with that, as well. Even a scant mall with a tiny, cramped micro-plex theater deal can hold some memories of movies I went to go see.
    Malls are sucking now. By having no book stores, no restaurants, no music store, but installing lots of chincy food courts or letting these awful kiosks flourish are what hurt them a lot. I don't worry about "type of clientele" shopping there. What gets me is seeing completely abandoned wings.
    Oh, and as a Christian-without going into a huge trademark rant here-I thoroughly despise mega-church malls. They embody all Jesus would get pissed off about [[did I say "piss"?, sounds like a King James word-like in the book of Kings or something) and take a whip to....learn to appreciate old wine and beware the wide path that leads to destruction-in everything, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Oh, and as a Christian-without going into a huge trademark rant here-I thoroughly despise mega-church malls. They embody all Jesus would get pissed off about [[did I say "piss"?, sounds like a King James word-like in the book of Kings or something) and take a whip to....learn to appreciate old wine and beware the wide path that leads to destruction-in everything, folks.
    Jesus would be a downtown shopper.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Regarding Eastland, I've heard the reason Macy's is still there is that they actually own their building.
    I don't believe that is true anymore. IIRC whatever interest Hudson's had was sold before the change to MF and Macy's. could be wrong though. They just shut down the top two floors....I'd imagine they did it so save on rent. I don't know how they stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I don't believe that is true anymore. IIRC whatever interest Hudson's had was sold before the change to MF and Macy's. could be wrong though. They just shut down the top two floors....I'd imagine they did it so save on rent. I don't know how they stay open.
    The logistics at Eastland are a bit different than Northland, which is probably why Eastland's marginally healthier.

For lower eastsiders, besides maybe Macomb Mall, it's really the only major shopping destination for miles [[I.E. for Grosse Pointers, how far is the next nearst Macy's, Target, Lowes and Home Depot?)

Northland, meanwhile, has to complete with nearby Tel-Twelve shopping center, Fairlane and even Oakland Mall..

Northland Mall will be soon added to the list of Metro-Detroit DEAD MALL list.

1. Summit Place Mall

2. Tower Center Mall [[Detroit)

3. Tel-Twelve Mall

4. Livonia Mall

5. Wonderland Mall

6. Universal Mall

Eastland Mall will be next after Northland Mall closes.
    Last edited by Danny; January-12-15 at 12:22 PM.

1. Summit Place Mall [[ Blame it on anchor stores, Great Lakes Crossing and black people.)

2. Tower Center Mall [[Detroit) [[Blame it on black people.)

3. Tel-Twelve Mall [[ Blame it on anchor stores and black people.)

4. Livonia Mall [[ Blame on anchor stores and Laurel Park Place.)

5. Wonderland Mall [[ Blame it on anchor stores, Laurel Park Mall and black people.)

6. Universal Mall [[ Blame it anchor stores, Oakland Mall and its back up strip malls.)

Eastland Mall will be next after Northland Mall closes. [[ Its going to be blamed on anchor stores and black people. )

Well it least a big mega church may save what's left of Northland Mall.

To be fair Danny, I know some people blamed blacks for the demise of Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The logistics at Eastland are a bit different than Northland, which is probably why Eastland's marginally healthier.

For lower eastsiders, besides maybe Macomb Mall, it's really the only major shopping destination for miles [[I.E. for Grosse Pointers, how far is the next nearst Macy's, Target, Lowes and Home Depot?)
    Target, Lowes and Home Depot get the GP patrons... but I'm not sure that Macy's has the same draw.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    To be fair Danny, I know some people blamed blacks for the demise of Universal.
    As I remember, the anchor stores got into corporate trouble on their own [[Federal Dept Store and i forget the other).

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    As I remember, the anchor stores got into corporate trouble on their own [[Federal Dept Store and i forget the other).
    Montgomery Ward, Woolworth's, Ben Franklin and Mervyns were the other four

No one ever replaced the old Mervyns [[who closed all of their Michigan stores due to financial problems) and Montgomery Ward while store space and the old Woolworth's was demolished to make room for Burlington Coat Factory [[similar to what happened ar Eastland).

When the mall demolition began, only Crowley's [[which became Value City), a new A.J. Wright [[now Marshall's) inside the old Ben Franklin space and Burlington Coat Factory were to remain, but it just so happen 3 months later Value City announced it was closing all of its stores [[which then just left Burlington and A.J. Wright/Marshalls).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Montgomery Ward, Woolworth's, Ben Franklin and Mervyns were the other four

No one ever replaced the old Mervyns [[who closed all of their Michigan stores due to financial problems) and Montgomery Ward while store space and the old Woolworth's was demolished to make room for Burlington Coat Factory [[similar to what happened ar Eastland).

When the mall demolition began, only Crowley's [[which became Value City), a new A.J. Wright [[now Marshall's) inside the old Ben Franklin space and Burlington Coat Factory were to remain, but it just so happen 3 months later Value City announced it was closing all of its stores [[which then just left Burlington and A.J. Wright/Marshalls).
    Other than the seasonal Halloween stores, no one ever replaced the Southland Center Mervyn's either and it's now going to be torn down for a movie theater.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Other than the seasonal Halloween stores, no one ever replaced the Southland Center Mervyn's either and it's now going to be torn down for a movie theater.
    what movie theater and when does it open?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what movie theater and when does it open?
    Cinemark, fall 2015, according to this article:

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...xgen_movi.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3