Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1395

What Is Going On At Red Wings Arena Site?

Well, apparently the Ilitches are destroying more historical buildings:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nta-apartments

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Honestly, that's what pisses me off about this.We're talking about a guy who is going to stand to profit from all of this immensely, a guy who just spent $100M on a house in LA, and you're telling me you can't give Detroit a break and shell out $35M to get this deal done?

If Gores wanted to build a HUGE amount of goodwill around here and take on a persona other than Absentee Owner, he could have. Instead, he went for the cash, as you mentioned, that he knew he had a good chance of getting.
    That would have required him to be a less greedy billionaire. That's always unlikely to happen with the billionaire class. No matter how many billions, its never enough. Its always a game; always about "winning'.......hmmmm, someone else is coming to mind.

Honestly, that's what pisses me off about this.We're talking about a guy who is going to stand to profit from all of this immensely, a guy who just spent $100M on a house in LA, and you're telling me you can't give Detroit a break and shell out $35M to get this deal done?

If Gores wanted to build a HUGE amount of goodwill around here and take on a persona other than Absentee Owner, he could have. Instead, he went for the cash, as you mentioned, that he knew he had a good chance of getting.
    In fairness to Gores, he is doing a lot for the city, its youth, etc. with this move. There is a lot of give back to the community. I wouldn't describe it as a pure one sided deal.

From a Freep article back around Thanksgiving time:

It was announced the Pistons have agreed to donate $2.5 million over six years to create more than 60 basketball facilities in Detroit. The Pistons also agreed to give 20,000 tickets per year to city residents and youths as part of community benefits for the move downtown.
    The DDA hopes to have all approvals completed by March. Both the Detroit City Council and the Michigan Strategic Fund will have to approve the deal. "It's going to be a busy first quarter next year," Duggan quipped at the meeting.
    Gores, Duggan and Ilitch are expected to be on hand this afternoon at Cass Tech High School, as the Pistons are set to confirm that the NBA team will play at Little Caesars Arena, which is expected to be completed by the 2017-18 NBA and NHL seasons.
    Under the agreement, the Pistons will also agree to:

• Employ Detroit residents in 51% of the construction jobs for their practice facility
    • Award at least 30% of the value of all construction contracts to Detroit-based companies.
    • Partner with the Mayor’s Office to provide mentorship opportunities for young Detroiters.
    • Host free youth basketball camps, clinics, and other events to promote youth basketball in Detroit.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-20-17 at 03:37 PM.

$34 million for free basketball camps? Looks like a win to me!

It sounds like you assume that Gores mixes his business and personal money. I very much doubt he does. His businesses and investments were successful, and they paid him a salary and other returns, enough to spend a ridiculous amount on a house that looks like an airport terminal.

The Pistons are run like a business, though, and businesses don't just decide to leave $30M on the table.

If he wanted to donate $30M to the area, that would have to come out of his personal fortune, not his business.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    The Pistons are run like a business, though, and businesses don't just decide to leave $30M on the table.
    Nail on the head. Businesses are not charities, even if the optics aren't great.

Just reported on WJBK: A construction worker has fallen 75 feet to his death at LCA.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    It sounds like you assume that Gores mixes his business and personal money.
    I'm not assuming it in the least. I would expect it. Illitch had to plop down several hundred million dollars of his own money to fund a portion of the stadium. You're telling me Gores can't come up with $30M for the necessary renovations to allow for Bball, whether it's his own money or financing or money pulled from Piston's profits?
    Last edited by mikeg19; June-28-17 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Just reported on WJBK: A construction worker has fallen 75 feet to his death at LCA.
    Most likely a suicide as reported on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Most likely a suicide as reported on the news.
    I saw it was "not a construction related incident" but I wasn't sure what they meant by that.

I know a new posh hotel is planned as part of Little Ceasar Arena, wondering what brand is being considered. Surprise no renderings or details about how it will look or how tall it will be has been released. I do hope it's tall enough and unique, like the Ritz Carlton next to the Staple Center.

Other note, whatever happen to the other hotel planned in Brush Park? I believe it was a JDV hotel.

bridge from the fox to new LC HQ is underway and connected

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I know a new posh hotel is planned as part of Little Ceasar Arena, wondering what brand is being considered. Surprise no renderings or details about how it will look or how tall it will be has been released. I do hope it's tall enough and unique, like the Ritz Carlton next to the Staple Center.

Other note, whatever happen to the other hotel planned in Brush Park? I believe it was a JDV hotel.
    Given the complete dearth of high-end hotel chains downtown [[especially since Omni left the market), I'm betting it will be a luxury hotel. It would be awesome if Omni and the Ritz-Carlton returned after leaving back during Autopocalypse. Besides, I understand the professional sports community in particular has very expensive taste when it comes to extended stays and won't just settle for any ol' lodging [[which is why they would always stay at the Townsend Hotel in Birmingham).

In fact, as I mentioned in another thread, it wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple high-rise hotels announced soon, given the events at LCA that are being lined up already. Look at Nashville for example [[a city only 1/3 Detroit's size). After the completion of Music City Center back in 2011, nearly 15 high-rise hotels [[ranging from 10 to 35 stories) were suddenly announced just in the downtown area, most of which are now open or are under construction.

Personally, I think a couple 20-story or so hotels would fit perfectly on those lots along Woodward in front of Comerica Park.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-28-17 at 11:53 PM.

I'm not assuming it in the least. I would expect it. Illitch had to plop down several hundred million dollars of his own money to fund a portion of the stadium. You're telling me Gores can't come up with $30M for the necessary renovations to allow for Bball, whether it's his own money or financing or money pulled from Piston's profits?
    Of course he can. For that matter, Palace Sports & Entertainment - the holding company that owns the Pistons - could come up with the money, too. I get your point, but a business wouldn't put up the money, if they thought they could talk someone else into it, like the city. They might even get bad publicity from it but, hey, it's way less than Illitch got.

There's a plot in Brush Park that JDV announced that would make for a great high rise hotel site. Other plots in that area owned by a NY developer [[John R, Adelaide, Brush) have height restrictions so that won't work. Maybe Brewster-Douglas area. Now that would be perfect.

One of those Comerica lots would be perfect. Centrally located to all 4 Detroit sports teams. Where did opposing NHL teams stay in the past? I've seen the NFL away team staying at the Westin before.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    One of those Comerica lots would be perfect. Centrally located to all 4 Detroit sports teams. Where did opposing NHL teams stay in the past? I've seen the NFL away team staying at the Westin before.
    The Lions themselves also stay at the Westin the night before a home game. Most visiting hockey teams stay there. For some reason I think MLB teams still stay outside the city.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Sadly, Ilitch tore down the Wolverine Hotel for a parking lot. And yes, NHL/MLB teams have stayed at the Book-Cadillac. Not sure on NFL though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Sadly, Ilitch tore down the Wolverine Hotel for a parking lot. And yes, NHL/MLB teams have stayed at the Book-Cadillac. Not sure on NFL though.
    It's too bad he did not foresight signs of things to come in 2017 when he decided to implode the Wolverine. That could've been restored into a high-end hotel had it still been around today with all this new development a short walk away.

Why haven't more big brand hotels jump on board with these small boutique hotels popping up downtown. I'll like to see a Hyatt Regency, W Hotel [[not a concept like Aloft), Ritz Carlton etc..in the near future in Detroit.

Just NE of the Arena district on Woodward is former First Presbyterian Church, now a Seminary...which was put up for sale for $4.8 million. Rumor has it that it was sold for $5 million [[not 100% sure, but there were several folks interested in the 2 acre historic property).

Most churches have a church-like look to them [[basilica style with long nave and sloped roof) and would look awkward if repurposed as a commercial property... but this church is built on a vertical Greek Cross plan, and would make an awesome grand lobby space for a classy hotel, with a huge lantern tower with lots of Tiffany stained glass. I think that this would make a nice hotel right next to the arena. Even the main entrance was move from Woodward to Edmund Place during the 1930s widening of Woodward.... thus not having the Q-Line interfere with the entranceway....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ed...!4d-83.0533724

Some images of the interior of the Richarsonian Romanesque red sandstone historic structure....
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Gistok; June-30-17 at 02:37 AM.

What Is Going On At Red Wings Arena Site?

A electrical engineer just died from suicide!!!

[QUOTE=gthomas;528134]Why haven't more big brand hotels jump on board with these small boutique hotels popping up downtown. I'll like to see a Hyatt Regency, W Hotel [[not a concept like Aloft), Ritz Carlton etc..in the near future in Detroit.[/QUOTE

The high end hotels such as those rely on a very strong corporate clientele. There are still very few large private companies downtown compared to other cities.

[QUOTE=401don;528170]
    Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Why haven't more big brand hotels jump on board with these small boutique hotels popping up downtown. I'll like to see a Hyatt Regency, W Hotel [[not a concept like Aloft), Ritz Carlton etc..in the near future in Detroit.[/QUOTE

The high end hotels such as those rely on a very strong corporate clientele. There are still very few large private companies downtown compared to other cities.
    That, or high levels of tourism.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    In a video tweeted out by Bill Shea yesterday there is discussion of an organ at LCA. I do not know the context around the discussion or if it was a joke. I would be happy to see this throwback to the original six era though if one was included. Can anyone confirm that there will be an organ at LCA?

I know recently Winnipeg added an old school organ to their arena as well.

Check out @Bill_Shea19's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Bill_Shea19/stat...821132293?s=09
    so i've been trying to track down information on this... I did notice that you can see an organ loft set at the very top of the arena. fingers crossed there are some actual pipes attached to this!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  56.3 KB

Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 ... LastLast