Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 46 51 52 53 54 55 56
Results 1,376 to 1,395 of 1395

I apologize for the terrible quality of the images, but I attended the CBO for the District Detroit. Below were some renders that I had not seen and a timeline of projects. A powerpoint should be available tomorrow which should be much better quality than some zoom screenshots.

Attachment 42368

Attachment 42369

Attachment 42370

Attachment 42371

Attachment 42372

Attachment 42373

Attachment 42374

Attachment 42375

Attachment 42376

Attachment 42377

Attachment 42378

Attachment 42379

Thanks ShadowSoarer... maybe we can call this District Detroit III...

Maybe EMU_Steve will come back to root for this on DYES!!

But wait... the other shoe still has to drop... as the Ilitches are so good at hoodwinking city government! There's still that little thingy... more public financing... all those nice images will entice the city to pay up!! After all the city/state are still paying for 1999 District Detroit I, and 2017 District Detroit II.

You can almost smell the pork!!

Just for the hell of it, let's say Illich and Ross complete this vision in the next 8 years [[assume economy holds up, these are all built as envisioned or better, all of this looks ambitious for 5 years, so give it to 2030).

Would this alter the perception of Olympia in your eyes? Maybe Mike's place is cemented, does this show that Chris actually wants to see this District Detroit vision come to fruition? Does it undo some of that angst we all hold against this company?

Personally, the only reason I think any of this has merit is due to Ross being involved. But if this did actually get built out as shown, I think the perception certainly changes of Olympia. How much? Don't know.
    Last edited by mikeg19; November-30-22 at 11:45 AM.

mike19... I agree that the addition of Stephen Ross to the development may be a game changer, since he is behind NYC huge Hudson Yard development. One can only hope so.

The terms "fool me once..." and "fool me twice...". If there is a 3rd time for the public/city getting fooled, the embarrassing thing is there is no such term for "fool me a 3rd time..."

If Olympia pulled this off in eight years, I would definitely believe that something had changed for the better within their organization. This project is incredibly ambitious. I suspect some of it will get built and much of it will get changed, scaled down, delayed or just never spoken about again.

Saw this on Crains Detroit today...

Bills would give Huntington Place new funding, flexibility as it seeks to lure hotel on JLA site

New bills quickly advancing in the Legislature would authorize the authority that oversees Detroit's convention center to enter into public-private arrangements, increase its funding, and expand the facility's definition to include nearby roads.The bills would also extend a $5 million annual subsidy for the QLine streetcar for an additional 17 years.
    The Republican-led Senate approved the measures 24-12 and 27-10 on Tuesday after discharging them from a committee, which held no hearing since their introduction about three weeks ago. The Republican-controlled House could vote on the legislation next week before adjourning for the year.
    The impetus is "allowing Huntington Place to have a little more money, a little more flexibility," said the sponsor, Republican Sen. Wayne Schmidt of Traverse City.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/politi...ntington-place

I've uploaded some of screen screenshots from the presentation, 7 new projects and 5 renovations. Below is the link to the full presentation:

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitmi.localhost/files/2022-11/District%20Detroit_Community%20Meeting1_11.29.2022 _FINAL.pdf

Attachment 42382
    Attachment 42383
    Attachment 42384
    Name:  Untitled4.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  Untitled5.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  Untitled6.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  Untitled7.jpg
Size:  79.9 KB
    Name:  Untitled8.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  74.5 KB
    Name:  Untitled9.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  75.9 KB
    Name:  Untitled10.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  Untitled11.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  71.8 KB
    Name:  Untitled12.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  72.1 KB
    Name:  Untitled13.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  64.5 KB

Also detroityes needs a better way to upload images rather than uploading one at a time as well as remove attachment limitations. I tend to hit the limit and have to delete past attachments then some of my posts will end up with broken links for images.

i don't see it elsewhere in any better resolution, but the district detroit website has one overview render of all these proposed buildings, and more.

notably the quad lawn south of the dci building in the renders from that original announcement is not present, presumably because they're showing a lawn off of montcalm/clifford instead. sad to see no plan for the surface lot around the UA building too. still, if Ross can be the missing party to finally actualize this it'll be huge. Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 4.57.57 PM.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  82.8 KB

Only 10-11 buildings included in that rendering that weren't mentioned in the announcement as well as a capped freeway and new park. Classic Olympia.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Only 10-11 buildings included in that rendering that weren't mentioned in the announcement as well as a capped freeway and new park. Classic Olympia.
    And still no word on the boarded up Blenheim Apts. behind the new Little Caesar's HQ, and still mum on the Fine Arts facade. You would think that existing buildings that have been moldering away would get some attention. Good to see the Moose Lodge and American Hotel as "being mentioned".

My big fear is that Stephen Ross is already in his 80s... and that he may not be around long.

Seems that the biggest complaint that people have on the news about this project is that it would be eliminating too many parking spaces. That is awesome and hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    Seems that the biggest complaint that people have on the news about this project is that it would be eliminating too many parking spaces. That is awesome and hilarious.
    While you're chuckling at us for being cynical, maybe a bigger question is what have you been doing since you joined DYES in 2013?

Here's a reminder why many of us are cynical... the HBO Documentary on the failed District Detroit, back in 2019.

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...strict+Detroit

This is just one thread on DYES about Ilitches failed promises, there are many that go all the way back to Comerica Park, and the failed promises of spillover development of that project.

But to put it as simple as possible, since the Ilitches first came downtown with the renovation of the Fox Theatre in 1988, they have in the past 1/3 of a century not brought a single hotel room or housing unit online... NOT ONE... until the city was finally fed up with them and was going to take action against the Ilitches with the Eddystone project [which is now finally complete].

But back in 1998 with Comerica Park coming online, there were wonderful plans to turn Columbia Street into an "Agora" with a Hard Rock Cafe at Woodward and Columbia [never happened], and all the wonderful images of crowded streets amid a festival atmosphere in 2015 for the Little Caesar's Arena District Detroit development online images. Not surprisingly, all 5 of the District Detroit areas planned back in 2015 disappeared from their District Detroit website... until now, when we have the current proposal... which will of course be time #3 for their Entertainment district. But we all know that they will be back with their hat in hand asking the city/state to cough up many millions more in public money to help develop the 3rd iteration of Detroit's entertainment district.

We just pray that 82 year old developer [of NYC famed Hudson Yards development] Stephen Ross lives to a ripe old age. His co-development [with the Ilitches] of District Detroit may finally be a winning combination... if the Ilitches don't scare him off, like they have so many other businessmen.

Just checked... the Ilitches got $115 million in public money for Comerica Park back in 1997, and $324 million for LCA. Now they will be back at the public teat for more...

I'd expect a big ask in the next couple of years for Comerica Park renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    I've uploaded some of screen screenshots from the presentation, 7 new projects and 5 renovations. Below is the link to the full presentation:

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitmi.localhost/files/2022-11/District%20Detroit_Community%20Meeting1_11.29.2022 _FINAL.pdf

Attachment 42382
    Attachment 42383
    Attachment 42384
    Name:  Untitled4.jpg
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  Untitled5.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  Untitled6.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  Untitled7.jpg
Size:  79.9 KB
    Name:  Untitled8.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  74.5 KB
    Name:  Untitled9.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  75.9 KB
    Name:  Untitled10.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  Untitled11.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  71.8 KB
    Name:  Untitled12.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  72.1 KB
    Name:  Untitled13.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  64.5 KB

Also detroityes needs a better way to upload images rather than uploading one at a time as well as remove attachment limitations. I tend to hit the limit and have to delete past attachments then some of my posts will end up with broken links for images.
    This feels extremely ambitious, especially with an economic downturn looming. My instinct is to think this is an huge overpromise which they will underdeliver with one or two completed project here or there, nothing like the renderings.

And it's fair that on this forum we are skeptical after decades of broken promises from Illitch, but having Related Companies on board does lend this project some credibility. They've delivered large mixed-use projects in the past, such as Hudson Yards in New York and Kings Cross in London.

Granted these are just renderings but the office building in front of Comerica and the apartment tower at DCI look like they have already been value engineered into far less interesting structures from their first iterations. The only thing ambitious about this plan is the number of structures. The designs for most leave a lot to be desired especially when you compare to some of Related's other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    i don't see it elsewhere in any better resolution, but the district detroit website has one overview render of all these proposed buildings, and more.

notably the quad lawn south of the dci building in the renders from that original announcement is not present, presumably because they're showing a lawn off of montcalm/clifford instead. sad to see no plan for the surface lot around the UA building too. still, if Ross can be the missing party to finally actualize this it'll be huge. Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 4.57.57 PM.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  82.8 KB
    If this vision actually came to fruition by 2035, I'd be pretty stoked.

If anyone wants to do a little light reading this weekend, only 700+ pages...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbbqeyobhs...02023.pdf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    If anyone wants to do a little light reading this weekend, only 700+ pages...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbbqeyobhs...02023.pdf?dl=0
    Don't need to. I'm sure everyone on council studied it in depth before rendering their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Don't need to. I'm sure everyone on council studied it in depth before rendering their decision.
    It also has to be approved by the Brownfield Development Authority and the Michigan Strategic Fund...

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 46 51 52 53 54 55 56