Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    My thoughts as well. But would it make sense to market the tower separately? Is that even an option?

At this point in time, I don't know how you justify dumping a gigantic amount of cash in rehabbing a theater when you have an abundance of options currently in the area. Adding another concert/theater venue just doesn't seem to make sense financially. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but just from what I'm observing.
    If the United Artist's Building was to go Hotel and apartment condo mix, the rehab of the theatre portion would be almost a given, as the space would be needed for events and could be used a banquet/ballroom/event space. The UA in Los Angeles is being used as a muli-event facility.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    If the United Artist's Building was to go Hotel and apartment condo mix, the rehab of the theatre portion would be almost a given, as the space would be needed for events and could be used a banquet/ballroom/event space. The UA in Los Angeles is being used as a muli-event facility.
    Our auto companies seem to do so well with paying big bucks for naming rights for theatres.... IN OTHER CITIES... Just maybe one of them could step up to the plate here in Detroit.... Ford paid big bucks for the naming rights for the Ford Center [[Oriental) in Chicago, and GM paid big bucks for the naming rights of the "Cadillac Palace" [[Palace) Theatre there as well.

They tried to get the naming rights to the Detroit Opera House so bad.... but MOT General Director David DiChiera wisely avoided that so as not to turn off the money spigot from any of the rest of them, should one of them get the building naming rights.

Perhaps the Detroit United Artists could go up for Marquee naming rights to help pay for the badly needed restoral work that 20 years of neglect brought on. The U/A could double as a theatre and ballroom space.... it's not too large to be a ballroom, and not too small to be a performance venue.