Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
I'm with Tom Walsh on this: If the city wants folks to build, renovate, etc. time to start trusting one another and get things moving. A city proves itself when it minimizes red tape, delays, etc. [[and man, I hate when these common councils in cities can't agree and things drag on and on and folks just get frustrated and the air gets poisoned).

Sometimes folks need to see the 'big picture' and run with it.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...elay/25749763/
They have given Olympia house and home on this project, all they want is an assurance that the building stays. Why is that so hard for them? Show proof that these are really your plans.

This deal sets precedent for future developments in the city. If you like the fabric of old buildings downtown then you should commend what council is doing. This is how real cities operate, not by letting developers tear down anything and everything in their path. That was old Detroit, you know the one operating on a hope and prayer that some development would be a cure all. The mayor has a vision, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Good Cop/Bad Cop scenario going on with the Council/Mayor in regards to their negotiations with Olympia.

Call me crazy but I think Duggan wants the assurance as much as Council...

As for the stadium development,its not going to get cancelled. i could see the Illitich team pulling out the threat card, something like threatening to pull some part of the development they never really intended on doing. illitch is pretty slimy. I can empathize with the critics of the whole development, look at all the promises for Copa that never came to fruition.

IMO The council has every reason to be skepical when the city has already been suckered on promises for the area around Copa.