Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Never went to the Field Street Honest John?'s. But have really enjoyed the Selden Street location for many years. At one point, we were there for breakfast every weekend! Through the years, I took pretty much every out-of-town visitor that I was squiring around the city there for a meal. Didn't matter whether they were work colleagues here on business from the West Coast or abroad, or visitors from Europe, Asia, and across the U.S. Everyone could find a tasty meal [[vegan, vegatarian, or meat) at a decent price and a good local brewn. We even brought our parents down once or twice [[and made sure they took a gander at the graffiti in the johns). It's on my list of "must see" Detroit places. So I sure hope it remains as is!!
    Last edited by Kathleen; January-03-15 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Please, please don't say "craft cocktails" again.
    Amen! I hope HJ's continues to be known for cold Kessler's and not craft cocktails.

If the new owners do a promotion offering absolution and dispensation to all the customers JT barred from the place, they could pay off the mortgage in no time. If they read this, what about it guys...? Set a date! I know at least two priests, one Roman Catholic and one Episcopalian and one Luheran pastor who are in the "barred for life" crowd...pehaps they would happy to make it "official"...sort of like a exorcism.
    Last edited by detroitbob; January-04-15 at 11:33 PM.

I’ve been several times, been there when they opened up @ 7:00 am, and have had lunch a few times as well. I have never run into, or ever seen John to my knowledge. I love the food, which is not a good thing for me – I’m on a diet and the sandwiches – which are delicious, are not on my diet. Breakfast is great – heck everything I’ve had to eat is excellent.

Good idea detroitbob. When John first opened the Selden HJs he went on a spree of barring people. Ralph Hogg [[RIP) and I were one of the first. When we heard of so many others being barred we had the idea of starting a club of Barred from Honest Johns Patrons. It didn't go anywhere but was a fun idea. Three religious pastors and priests who have been barred? Wow, that has to be some kind of record.

The juke box was written up several times and I'd say one of the best I've ever seen. They had Tim Buckley on it. I also miss the old location. I helped several times to deliver turkeys and wrap Christmas packages.

Two priests, one Roman Catholic and one Episcopalian and one Luheran pastor walk into a bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I left with a $50 tab. I will always love John but will probably never pay that tab.
    I'm sure that's one of many debts you owe around the city.

Good idea detroitbob. When John first opened the Selden HJs he went on a spree of barring people. Ralph Hogg [[RIP) and I were one of the first. When we heard of so many others being barred we had the idea of starting a club of Barred from Honest Johns Patrons. It didn't go anywhere but was a fun idea. Three religious pastors and priests who have been barred? Wow, that has to be some kind of record.
    I was never violated by Catholic Priests, nor barred from Honest? John's. What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I was never violated by Catholic Priests, nor barred from Honest? John's. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe I'm wrong but I'll try this...

1.You are Protestant and thus never presented your scrumptious self to a priest .
    2. You spent your time in the John the whole time you went to Honest John's.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    I do have a few debts around the city but they are to friends who know they can call me if they need something.

Checking your profile and going over your posts Robert I wondered if you ever say anything positive?

I am far from perfect as well.

Dude, find something good and comment on it, it feels good. You need a hug.

http://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/...estj-16531.jpg

That was Selden Drugs, at the corner. I worked at Henry Drugs, at Third and Forest, in the late sixties. The stores would occasionally trade off overstocked items, like cigarettes, and prescriptions. Selden Drugs had a rougher crowd.

I do have a few debts around the city but they are to friends who know they can call me if they need something.

Checking your profile and going over your posts Robert I wondered if you ever say anything positive?

I am far from perfect as well.

Dude, find something good and comment on it, it feels good. You need a hug.
    Django, do something good. Send Thompson a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    Clearly you have never met Django. He is perhaps the most honest person I know. Honest almost to a fault, he tells his life like it is. He has a heart of gold and many talents he under values. I don't have to agree with his life choices, just glad to call him friend.

Thank you Sumas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Django, do something good. Send Thompson a gift.
    Ive already done nice things for JT. We met while I stacked rocks on Belle Isle. I came to his new house and did a small installation as well as at the new HJs for him. I will also continue to speak fondly of him, just as I think of him. Now that I think about it, he can eat that $50 lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2