Cass Corridor legend John Thompson has sold his bar/restaurant to Dave Kwiatkowski, who also owns the Sugar House in Corktown, Wright & Co. in downtown, and Café 78, a soon-to-open restaurant in the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, according to Crain's.

Honest?John's bar in 2009

It strikes me as a milestone of sorts - a passing of the old Cass Corridor arts bohemia dive-bar days to the bustling Midtown slick and upscale new arrivals, epitomized by the new opened Selden Standard just a stone throw away.

I say legend for those not familiar, in that he grew up on the old mean streets of the Cass Corridor as a semi-orphan. His mother was a hooker working those streets. But rather than beat him down it made it tough, savvy and, yes, a bit abrasive. I first met him when he was a bartender at artists-hangout Cobb's Corner Bar [Willis and Cass - Currently Del Pryor Gallery]. He was funny and scary.

He opened the first Honest? John's on Jefferson by the Belle Isle bridge and drew attention from his charitable fundraiser stunts - polar bear swims off Belle Isle in winter, his Easter 'Bunny Roasts' [yep served rabbit], and annual 'Moon Shot' - patrons lined up, dropped drawers/ hiked skirts for bare-ass groups shot.

When he decided to move to his current location on Selden at Third ["I bought the bar my mom hooked out of"] we thought he was crazy, well crazier than usual.... There was nothing there but trouble there, so it seemed.

He succeeded and prospered, unintentionally becoming a pioneer in a now increasingly vibrant district. I'm happy for him and hope he made a killing on the sale. He deserves every penny.

Honest?John's bar in January 2011

Honest?John's bar [right] surrounded by ruins in 2005 pre-hipster Cass Corridor

Any memories?