Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: White Castle

any more deetz on the veggie sliders.
    They plan to keep em around?

2:00 AM, at the 8 Mile Rd & Gratiot White Castle location, summer 1968. I was a long haired freak who was jumped by "greasers" as I walked across the parking lot. Got kicked and stomped pretty badly. Became really scared when I saw a group of MC club members wading toward me. They saved me, pulling the guys off of me, then one pulled me up, asked if I could stand, then told me: "If you can't take care of yourself, cut your fucking hair".

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    2:00 AM, at the 8 Mile Rd & Gratiot White Castle location, summer 1968. I was a long haired freak who was jumped by "greasers" as I walked across the parking lot. Got kicked and stomped pretty badly. Became really scared when I saw a group of MC club members wading toward me. They saved me, pulling the guys off of me, then one pulled me up, asked if I could stand, then told me: "If you can't take care of yourself, cut your fucking hair".
    That is a blast from the past. I haven't heard Greaser in years. I grew up on the GP/detroit borderline and there were cakes and socs, greasers and hoods. The last two generally wore pointed half boots with cuban heels and taps, called by themselves n''''''''stompers. Me I guess I was just a free spirit, too young to be a hippy, wore indian kurta, buffalo hide sandals or darshikis. I took a lot off bull for my attire but no one ever tried to beat me up. My hair was very long but I guess it was ok cause I was a girl. Most of my male friends had hair longer than mine.

I am on a mission today need to grocery shop, I always plot a course so as to waste minimum fuel. Aldis at Mack and Alter shoot to Gratiot, get some WC, will eat in car, buzz up to busy bee hardware, bread from Milano bakery on Russel in Eastern Market, [[their cannoles are to die for) Kay food wholesalers for cheeses circle to Jefferson,[[top that gas off), get an oil change and the car washed, last stop Harbor town for banking and the grocery store for items I can't get at other local stores.

The high point of these errands definitely White Castle.

... too bad they never started selling coney dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how a national chain that has nothing to do with Detroit would be considered an "institution", especially with all the good local slider places around here.
    Motz's -> Telway's -> Carter's -> White Castle.

Still, I've eaten my share of those little things. Particularly at Woodward near 8 Mile, Michigan past Tiger Stadium, and especially the late lamented outpost at Woodward and Sproat.

A few years back my partner and I tricked our adult kids into eating Thanksgiving stuffing made from W.C. plain burgers. Found the recipe online. All thought it was great until we told them the contents!! By the way it is very, very good just use plain [[no cheese or mustard, ketchup)

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by surenowinlife View Post
    A few years back my partner and I tricked our adult kids into eating Thanksgiving stuffing made from W.C. plain burgers. Found the recipe online. All thought it was great until we told them the contents!! By the way it is very, very good just use plain [[no cheese or mustard, ketchup)
    That's great story. Love it!

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    2am at 8 mile and Gratiot was the 'witching hour' when the Castle would be packed beyond capacity. Cars lined up out onto the street and people out the doors in line waiting to get burgers to soak up the booze and beer or whatever else they were stoned on that night. 8 mile hookers on break getting lunch, working class black and white people, drag queens, gay boys on the way home from the bars, motor cycle gangs, punks and robbers all waiting to 'pick up a sack'. The White Castle girls working behind the counter putting those frozen hockey pucks on the steam grill sitting on a bed of onions and then boxing and stacking them for the bag. Most of the girls were overly made up and looked like clowns to try to hide bad acne on their faces and sweating the makeup off from the hot steam. Some time fights breaking out in the restaurant between white girls and black girls in line [[ Whatcha lookin' at you white assed bitch?). MC gangs and people hanging in the parking lot. Lots of traffic cruising up and down Gratiot partying and looking for encounters. Police sirens and lights flashing as they pulled over cars of drunk kids...ahhhh the good ole days in Detroit!
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; January-02-15 at 09:39 AM.

^^^ Hah! I hear that. I was born/ raised on the near west side and recall that large WC on Warren and Livernois was packed out like that, when we used to go. It had loads of parking space and long chrome tables and seating.

My father jokingly referred to it as "Pimps Kitchen" for all the shenanigans that went on inside and in the parting lot!

I like to get mine made with "extra everything", but no cheese.

You wait a few minutes longer for them, but if made right, they are edge-to-edge with onions, ketchup and mustard.

Wear a napkin, cause that last bite or two usually contains a ketchup-mustard drip.

Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 451
Size:  63.0 KB

Taa Daaaaaaa

I've had my share of them too. I like stacking the empty boxes inside each other and putting neatly back in the bag. The french fried onion rings............. yummy.

In the White Castle parking lot.

She said "Your car is really hot".

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Hah! I hear that. I was born/ raised on the near west side and recall that large WC on Warren and Livernois was packed out like that, when we used to go. It had loads of parking space and long chrome tables and seating.

My father jokingly referred to it as "Pimps Kitchen" for all the shenanigans that went on inside and in the parting lot!
    They had a car reunion at your Castle. Check this out:

http://youtu.be/Uw_LHh83LTk

Curious to see if the majority prefer their sliders with mustard and ketchup or without. The default burger has only onions and the cheeseburger adds only cheese, but when I order them at the Telegraph and Nine Mile Rd. location in Southfield, I am always asked if I want mustard and ketchup. By the way, I say no. The double cheeseburgers [[au natural) are my favorite guilty pleasure.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thomprod View Post
    Curious to see if the majority prefer their sliders with mustard and ketchup or without. The default burger has only onions and the cheeseburger adds only cheese, but when I order them at the Telegraph and Nine Mile Rd. location in Southfield, I am always asked if I want mustard and ketchup. By the way, I say no. The double cheeseburgers [[au natural) are my favorite guilty pleasure.
    I like them loaded down with extra everything, pickles and onions

Quote Originally Posted by thomprod View Post
    Pickles, mustard, [[only) and extra onions.

I haven't had a White Castle in at least 30 years but I do remember them fondly. I may have to venture out for a sack of them today. My wife will not be pleased though. Oy! such stench they create.

Does anyone remember Top Hat burgers? They were very similar to White Castles but had a sweeter, less sour taste. The chain was owned by Elias Brothers. There was one on Gratiot near 14 Mile where the Art Van store is today.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I haven't had a White Castle in at least 30 years but I do remember them fondly. I may have to venture out for a sack of them today. My wife will not be pleased though. Oy! such stench they create.

Does anyone remember Top Hat burgers? They were very similar to White Castles but had a sweeter, less sour taste. The chain was owned by Elias Brothers. There was one on Gratiot near 14 Mile where the Art Van store is today.
    There was a Top Hat kitty corner from the White Castle at 8 Mile Rd & Gratiot. They caramelized the onions a bit more than White Castle.

There was a Top Hat at Telegraph and Van Born that's now a Burger King.

And there is a White Castle at Fort Street and Pennsylvania, but I haven't been there since the adjacent Super Kmart closed in October. That WC has been there for many years, as I fondly remember it being in that spot in the 1980's. There is another WC on West Road just west of Allen Road that's about to go into a remodeling into the latest format that still has a basement. And there is yet another WC further up Fort Street just a couple blocks south of Southfield where MC5 formed.
    Last edited by mtburb; January-03-15 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    If people are going to get goofy about AA not being "Detroit," calling a company founded in Kansas and HQ'd in Ohio a Detroit institution should really get their goat.

My biggest WC memory? watching people waiting outside DAYS before the first Joliet, IL location opened.

Detroit has its own slider legacies. and they are all FAR better than WC
    Thank you! Worse thread ever! White Castle is not even a local chain, let focus on locality here people. Not to mention we are talking about veggie sliders, WTH!? You want to talk Detroit sliders, then let's talk Green Dot Stables or Joe's in Wyandotte. #threadkiller.

DetroitBoy Guest

Then why dont you not read this thread? For some people, this was an important party of their younger years.

Go troll elsewhere and take your comments with you. Neither one of your posts are appreciated.

DetroitBoy Guest

The Top Hat chain sold off most locations in 1980 to Churches Chicken and most stores were converted to their own chicken restaurants. The last 3 were sold to Big Boy in the mid 80's with the hopes of the chain to continue on. The original owner of Top Hat was a long time White Castle employee that started the chain in 1955 on his own as Top Hat. Top Hat was the same porcelin type building but their colors were red and white. WC has always been blue and white.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; January-03-15 at 02:55 PM.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 451
Size:  63.0 KB

Taa Daaaaaaa
    Very cool! Look at this new concept kitchen they have. White Castle as theater for their patrons!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3645111.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast