Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    What evidence is there of widespread police misconduct?

I think we all accept that blacks are more often the victims of police brutality -- but that's not evidence of widespread misconduct. Its evidence of inequal distribution of crime -- the real problem we also need to solve.

What I'd like to see is statistical trends that show that police brutality or misconduct is an increasing problem. I think it is a decreasing problem.

In NYC and in Detroit, I believe it is generally safer for blacks than in the past.
    You said that blacks are more often the victims of police brutality but there is no evidence of police misconduct. Police brutality is police misconduct. That is exactly what people are protesting.

^^^ Precisely!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-01-15 at 06:37 AM.

aww... the police find it hurtful. lol
    Didn't think they were that sensitive. Their actions dont seem to suggest it

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    You said that blacks are more often the victims of police brutality but there is no evidence of police misconduct. Police brutality is police misconduct. That is exactly what people are protesting.
    I did not deny that there is brutality -- of course there is.

That more blacks are victim of police brutality is no surprise, given that blacks are disproportionately victims of crime too. And they statistically live in less safe areas. The 'more victims' means nothing without context.

I see great progress is our police departments as regards brutality. Statistics seem to suggest that the problem of brutality is being well managed and has been decreasing for years.

This old guy is tiring of graffiti and sniping between forum members. Now, pull your pants up and get off of my lawn!

This must be a really sloooooooow news day.... but never too slow to bring out forum follies....

Really? With all the REAL problems in the city, metro area and the world, you are quibbling over one graffiti image?

For real??

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I stand duly 'checked' as today's 'troll' I suppose. Sniffles... But opinions vary, and I post on various subjects. I happen to be home this morning.

"Think we're all fools" and name calling [[?) That is really a 'personal' stretch beyond my interest. Maybe time for a tea or coffee break for you? ok.

I go for times of posting nothing - when busy - everyone needs to maintain a life beyond keystrokes. That's the way of it, and should be. As I said I just ignore posts that don't interest me. Put me on your ignore list.

I stated my position clearly and precisely for posting the article.

To explain and debate further would entertain something beyond my original intent. Have a grand rest of the morning and day.

Don't worry Zach, I never detected a troll post from you. it never crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Do you honestly just park out at myfoxdetroit, and just find the most disturbing stories you can to stir sh%t?
    Why attack Zacha, an intelligent and informed poster? Zacha was not trying to whoop people. As I read it, just outraged at the insult to our police. Its a thankless and dangerous job.

Don't scare away sensible forumers, we have lost too many. Of course no one agrees with all others opinion, but "civil" discouse is most welcome. Dexlin you must have confused Zacha with some one else.

A note for Dexlin, I will be happy to give you a copy of our book if you apologize to Zacha, on line or PM. Send a PM with address or phone #. Of course you can come pick it up. People always tell us don't let strangers in your home, we do. Never a problem.
    Last edited by sumas; December-31-14 at 06:53 PM.

This building located right on Woodward, just north of West Grand Blvd!

Graffiti of angel holding police officer at gunpoint spurs outrage

From article: DETROIT, Mich. [[WJBK) - Both police and the director of a youth center in Detroit call a recent graffiti painting "hurtful."

The image is anything but angelic and to call it infuriating may be an understatement.

Someone spray painted an angel holding a police officer at gunpoint on the Youthville Building at the Plymouth Educational Center on Woodward.

The location is kitty corner to the Detroit Police Department Third Precinct.

"I don't believe looking at the painting that God would give an angel a gun to shoot a police officer," said Steve Dolunt, assistant Detroit police chief. "I think God gives angels to police officers to try to protect them."

Dolunt does not believe this painting represents how the vast majority of Detroit feels about its officers.

"Thirty-six times in the last 29 and a half years an angel wasn't there to help us," he said. "So I'm disheartened, dismayed, but I think we'll get through this."

In the painting the officer has his hands up - the same posture some witnesses say Michael Brown was in when a police officer was shot and killed this summer.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27...-spurs-outrage

Dpd has ignored graf and taggers for years now they care. Sad that when it impacts the communities and residents they give the middle finger and ignore it. Now that it is directed towards them they are now outraged. What a bunch of hypocrites. Of course that is nothing new with DPD.

Hmmmm

A case of paint first ask questions later, Art as a form of protest.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Dpd has ignored graf and taggers for years now they care. Sad that when it impacts the communities and residents they give the middle finger and ignore it. Now that it is directed towards them they are now outraged. What a bunch of hypocrites. Of course that is nothing new with DPD.
    I don't think tagging is high on their list of priorities. This blatant call to violence against police officers though must not be multiplied. There is a difference btwn this and staight tagging.

I find some of the responses dismissing this display of "art" ironic. If someone had sprayed graffiti of a white police officer pointing a gun at a black child on the side of the building would you still be so dismissive? I believe this is a legitimate issue...it further shows the lack of respect that some Detroit residents have for police officers and more importantly, the law in general. One must remember that these few "questionable" acts of police brutality pale in comparison to the number of times most inner city police officers are put in dangerous situations because of the brutality of the population they are policing. I wish there was this much outrage over black-on-black crime in the city of Detroit, which by the way accounts for the vast number of murders in the city. Maybe if there was more focus on this statistic and less about these rare questionable acts of police brutality, we would see a much more significant decrease in the number of murders each year.
    Last edited by Nem; January-01-15 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nem View Post
    . One must remember that these few "questionable" acts of police brutality pale in comparison to the number of times most inner city police officers are put in dangerous situations because of the brutality of the population they are policing.
    You could put this on a billboard and people wouldn't get it. The average person's attention span Is three or four words nowadays.

And we've become sheeple. We jump on whatever bandwagon we're spoon fed without question or looking @ the whole picture.

I find some of the responses dismissing this display of "art" ironic. If someone had sprayed graffiti of a white police officer pointing a gun at a black child on the side of the building would you still be so dismissive? I believe this is a legitimate issue...it further shows the lack of respect that some Detroit residents have for police officers and more importantly, the law in general. One must remember that these few "questionable" acts of police brutality pale in comparison to the number of times most inner city police officers are put in dangerous situations because of the brutality of the population they are policing. I wish there was this much outrage over black-on-black crime in the city of Detroit, which by the way accounts for the vast number of murders in the city. Maybe if there was more focus on this statistic and less about these rare questionable acts of police brutality, we would see a much more significant decrease in the number of murders each year.
    This is complete bullshit and utterly racist.

This is complete bullshit and utterly racist.
    THAT is complete bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    THAT is complete bullshit.
    And the only thing more fucked up than what he said is all of you acting as if there is some nuance about police killing innocent black kids.

Point well taken, and yet I believe as another poster pointed out that "Context and connotation make the difference" is impacting their response. I think most taggers work late and this had to be done fast.

Point well taken, and yet I believe as another poster pointed out that "Context and connotation make the difference" is impacting their response. I think most taggers work late and this had to be done fast.
    I agree that context is important but DPD has often stopped and let taggers go [[ignoring QoL for residents) and they also ignore the gang graf which is typically seen as a threat and often escalates to real violence but that is a 'low priority issue'

If the threat to officers [[which I question if it is a real threat) is so important than the others should be seen as more important. Police officers view their lives and the lives of other officers as much more important than the lives of residents. That doesn't go over well with me. Each life is equally important but it certainly isn't the case here.

Over the last week it is clear that the lives of GP kids and DPD officers are important and the lives of residents is still secondary [[or lower). I'd prefer nobody get hurt but I would expect that all lives are of same importance.

Agree 100% with this entire post, especially the bold type.

And the only thing more fucked up than what he said is all of you acting as if there is some nuance about police killing innocent black kids.
    ihd, calling the accidental shooting of black kids 'police killing innocent black kids' is inflammatory and irresponsible. Stoking this idea drives stupid people to stupid acts. Cops do so much more for black kids that you just completely discount. I see no evidence of even example of an 'innocent kid' being killed.

Over the last week it is clear that the lives of GP kids and DPD officers are important and the lives of residents is still secondary [[or lower). I'd prefer nobody get hurt but I would expect that all lives are of same importance.
    Don't fault parents and community for valuing their kids.

maybe its a Banksy? Banksy is known for graffiti like this. maybe the artist has ventured from NYC to detroit? banksy did a mural at the packard plant in 2010. maybe he/she is spreading these valuable graffiti "messages" to the D now? if you dont know who banksy is, then google

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Don't fault parents and community for valuing their kids.
    Yep, that is purely it. Crimestoppers was quick to offer a fair amount to find the killer of the GP girl. The local rags have run nonstop articles praising her as a saint. Certainly the same treatment all young victims in the city get. DPD has had tons of statements about it.

Call me what you will but the press and DPD have made it clear her life is more important than any other victim in the city. Sad that you don't see it. Even more sad is that you seem to imply that parents in the city don't value their kids. Some don't, the majority do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ihd, calling the accidental shooting of black kids 'police killing innocent black kids' is inflammatory and irresponsible. Stoking this idea drives stupid people to stupid acts. Cops do so much more for black kids that you just completely discount. I see no evidence of even example of an 'innocent kid' being killed.
    Yep, that kid in Cleveland deserved it. Your rhetoric and attempt to state things in an unbiased manner is garbage. Just call it how you really see it because your 'fair' way of looking at things is garbage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast