Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I never claimed to not have biases.

But I'm pretty amused by how the prevailing assumption every time this happens is that the victims are casualties of random violence perpetrated by scary black thugs... Until the full story comes out.

And no, it's not their fault that they were shot. It's not their fault that what happened to them highlights the biases of society. But it's worth talking about now just like it is when innocent black kids are gunned down by cops.
    Fair comments. I don't agree, but worth discussion.

Do you also see that cops as a group are not 'trigger happy', simply because of one incident? Or is this different? If so, how is it different. Does a Cleveland incident mean that all cops should be criticized by our leaders?

You may suggest that we should all know that all cops target blacks? And how is this different than thinking that all blacks are dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Do you also see that cops as a group are not 'trigger happy', simply because of one incident? Or is this different? If so, how is it different. Does a Cleveland incident mean that all cops should be criticized by our leaders?

You may suggest that we should all know that all cops target blacks? And how is this different than thinking that all blacks are dangerous?
    Of course I don't think that all cops are trigger happy, that is absurd. Just for the record, I have immediate relatives who are members of the Detroit Police Department. But the Cleveland cop was obviously a person who should not have been armed with a gun, much less a cop, as was the opinion of the police department he was fired from before being hired by the city of Cleveland. [[And a simple background check by the Cleveland media would have easily uncovered that but instead they reported on the kid's father, first?)

Of course I don't think that all cops are trigger happy, that is absurd. Just for the record, I have immediate relatives who are members of the Detroit Police Department. But the Cleveland cop was obviously a person who should not have been armed with a gun, much less a cop, as was the opinion of the police department he was fired from before being hired by the city of Cleveland. [[And a simple background check by the Cleveland media would have easily uncovered that but instead they reported on the kid's father, first?)
    I haven't seen the video, so I can't judge. But if we take your statement as truth, how does this justify convicting this cop. The result was not then caused by the cop, but by the broken system.

And btw, if the system is broken, perhaps the previous PD's firing of this cop was wrong? Maybe there was no justification and that PD was 'broken' too? You cannot selectively decide that only those who agree with you are competent.

GP Charles why would you alter your driving habits?

Have you not been actively following this thread? http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...side/20798333/

This was not an innocent bystander who was killed.

These were individuals engaged in criminal activity meeting face to face with another individual who engaged in criminal activity.

""They're scared to tell their parents what they're doing" in Detroit, Assistant Police Chief Steve Dolunt said today." Dolunt said he hopes police get "a straight story" from the teens."The kids in Grosse Pointe -- they think it can't happen to them," he said. "People shouldn't blame the people in Detroit; your kids are buying drugs there."
    Last edited by belleislerunner; December-23-14 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    GP Charles why would you alter your driving habits?

Have you not been actively following this thread? http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...side/20798333/

This was not an innocent bystander who was killed.

These were individuals engaged in criminal activity meeting face to face with another individual who engaged in criminal activity.

""They're scared to tell their parents what they're doing" in Detroit, Assistant Police Chief Steve Dolunt said today." Dolunt said he hopes police get "a straight story" from the teens."The kids in Grosse Pointe -- they think it can't happen to them," he said. "People shouldn't blame the people in Detroit; your kids are buying drugs there."
    Right. Don't blame Detroiters for murdering your kids because they wanted to buy some pot, they deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Right. Don't blame Detroiters for murdering your kids because they wanted to buy some pot, they deserved it.
    Can we stop using Detroit's denonym to refer to people who commit criminal acts? Detroiters did not shoot up this car. A person who lives in Detroit* murdered this girl, not Detroiters.

*Obviously we don't know for fact that the murderer lives in Detroit, but for argument's sake let's make this safe assumption.

Can we stop using Detroit's denonym to refer to people who commit criminal acts? Detroiters did not shoot up this car. A person who lives in Detroit* murdered this girl, not Detroiters.

*Obviously we don't know for fact that the murderer lives in Detroit, but for argument's sake let's make this safe assumption.
    And I quote the assistant police chief: ""They're scared to tell their parents what they're doing" in Detroit, Assistant Police Chief Steve Dolunt said today." Dolunt said he hopes police get "a straight story" from the teens."The kids in Grosse Pointe -- they think it can't happen to them," he said. "People shouldn't blame the people in Detroit; your kids are buying drugs there."

His words not mine. But you are right, I don't like it when people say that to me.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck".