Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
Hung up @ 21 minutes and change, never talked to anyone. Might try tomorrow if the car's still there. "Stolen-looking" meaning rifled-thru wallet/purse-clasp on front passenger seat, major scrapes across the entire back bumper at a consistent height, parked in an odd location in a neighborhood where stolen cars turn up regularly.

I was calling the # for "non emergency calls / abandoned cars": 313-267-4600, via here: http://www.detroitmi.gov/DetroitDash...edNumbers.aspx

As far as I can tell the options for responding to stolen & dumped cars are:
1. Call 911, feel like a jackass for thinking my petty shit is that important, probably get transferred to the non-emergency number anyway
2. call said number directly, wait on hold indefinitely
3. call a tow company and have them deal with it.

I'd go for #3 if it were missing wheels or windows, but this is still plausibly just a messy beat up car parked in an odd location.

In thinking on it further, I've had better luck [[read: someone answered the phone) in the past calling the local district directly. Maybe I'm just barking up the correctly labeled yet wrong tree.
Here's another idea. There's a chance that car was stolen from an adjacent city. Try calling the nearest city's non emergency number. Give them the plate, make and color. Lots of times they can't be started so thieves push them across the city limits and strip them.