Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

i posted about the petition on DETROIT LIVES!-- my site aimed at bringing out the good in detroit. detroitlives.org

As I understand it, the dispute over the alley were the start of a bigger argument. The mechanics bitched about the backyard of the Miami and asked if they had all the permits to have a backyard setting, a day or so later the inspector came by and said he reluctantly
    had to shut down the back yard until more permits were obtained. The permits may take six months, just in time for the middle of winter. For now the Miami is just trying to keep the backyard open. To be honest the petition may be written for the alley dispute and not the backyard dispute. I just wanted to call attention to the matter in hopes of someone who may be able to give some advice on the matter. Im not in the middle of this dispute, I just have a love for the bar and how its grown into something more than just an old Vet bar and want to help it keep going in a positive direction.
    Last edited by Django; May-03-10 at 03:37 AM.

Funny. I'll probably be there Friday night. Shall do.

I understand that there is going to be a benefit show at the Miami to raise money for legal fees.

Blarf Guest

Sounds like this mechanic is a real dick.

What a sad world where we need shysters to to iron out differences. It's probably not worth an outcome if we need lawyers to decide who wins.

Django - are you back in Detroit from Mexico now ? Just a visit or back in the D for good ?

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeabilly View Post
    What a sad world where we need shysters to to iron out differences. It's probably not worth an outcome if we need lawyers to decide who wins.
    I really didn't want to take this bait, but come on. Private ownership of property is a problem now?

And assuming you do believe in collective ownership of all land, you want to blame lawyers of a certain ethnic/religious group for the failure of your grand vision of peaceful coexistence? Or has "shyster" become an ethnic/religiously neutral term?

diver1369 Guest

Only one side of this story/dispute has been told. It's easy to take the side of the sentimental favorite for whom you have a sympathetic bias. Obviously, the mechanic has a legitimate issue that he has taken to the governing authorities. The Old Miami should try to work out their differences with the mechanic. If they're past that point then they need to get their house in order and in compliance with the existing regulations regarding their outdoor space.

It has nothing to do with collectivism, and everything to do with the "legal" profession being the beneficiary in a dispute. A shyster is a shyster, regardless of ethnicity.

diver1369 Guest

From the Online Etymology Dictionary,
    shyster
    "unscrupulous lawyer," 1843, U.S. slang, probably altered from Ger. Scheisser "incompetent worthless person," from Scheisse "shit," from O.H.G. skizzan "to defecate" [[see shit)

The Miamis backyard is back open. Temp weekend permits were pulled until the permenant permits are approved.

Ill try and post some pics asap of the coi pond, patio and backyard.

diver1369 Guest

Thanks for the update Django

Default The Old Miami backyard

Backyard @ the OM. For the folks who remember the old Old Miami, some big improvements have been made out back. A lot of ppl think its still just a hole in the wall bar. Danny the owner has really made this place a very cool hangout. Im sure this looks like shameless advertising but Im just a fan of this bar as its really become a local hangout for Detroit artists. If you come down and see someone sitting on a barstool sipping an ice water, he/she is probably a starving artist, so buy em a beer .

One more unless you want more of the handsome barstaff.

That's all very nice, but if they expanded illegally and are hurting the Mechanic's business, they need to go to court and get it resolved. Diver is right about this.

Petitions that support breaking the law are pointless. Not worth the paper they are written on.

This happened on my parents block at one time. The block basically backs up to property owned by a church,half of it is wooded. The people in the wooded area my parents included basically cleaned up the edge of the property line which was fine with the church. Yet the people two doors down ended up clearing about 50ft into the church property and started using it for camping and boat storage. That is when the Rev put his foot down . BTW the garden does look good and it would be sad if it were removed . Yet laws are laws.

I just talked to a lawyer in touch with the case and everything that needs to be done is being done. The Miami is in good shape except for lawyer fees. In September theres going to be a benefit for the cause.

I just think its a shame the mechanics moved in and didnt try and work out the problems after introducing themselves to the neighbors, instead theyve just been straight up aloof.

Question;

Those pictures above are date stamped 01/02/07. When did the mechanics move in? Do they have any standing at all if they took ownership after the property had already been modified?

Pics were taken yestersay, the date on my camera is off. The yard and patio have been as is for years while the mechnics moved in within the year I believe. Easement is the key word although I really dont understand what it mean legally.

diver1369 Guest

Here's a definition of easement that would apply to this case.
    easement |ˈēzmənt|
    noun
    1 Law a right to cross or otherwise use someone else's land for a specified purpose.

My understanding is that a designated space on your property [[the easement), say 6 feet deep, is made available for local utilities to run their lines to service your property and those of the community. You are not allowed to build on the easement or interfere with it's common use. Someone else may have a more definitive definition and I welcome their input. Perhaps the Old Miami built on the easement of their property, I'm guessing.

The easement in question may be the alley that was once used for trash pickup. Ive heard more than a few times over the years of property owners legally taking over the easement because it hadnt been used by the city for so many yrs or the easements use had become obsolete to the city.

Just speculation by me.

Big Punk Rock gig this weekend, patio open. Apparently they have this show every year and its always a blast. The temp is supposed to cool off by then also.

Could this possibly be an adverse possession issue? It appears to meet the HAVOC criteria.

Default julie

hi evryone new to this site but wanted to clear up a few things: 1st of all, the old miami applied to the city to take over the alley 18years ago. maryann mahfay helped us with this. the mechanics just moved in in dec of 08 w/o any permits or licenses to open a business & r stil operating illegaly as i write this. within a few days of opening they began dumping everything from gas tanks, batteries, transmissions, entire engines & thousands of break pads [[asbestos) etc. out their back door. everytime it rained the run off was going onto the old miami's property. we tried to talk to them a few times & met with irate tempers & a hatred for detroit. [[the owneres live in dearborn heights). so we finaly called the epa which took 6months for them to come out & ticket the auto shop. this infuriated them & is what led to the property dispute. they do not realy want the property. & yes we have hired a high priced property lawyer. the petition is for when they do finaly apply for the permits to be open-this will lead to a special land grant hearing that anyone can attend & or write a letter stating all the problems the place has caused for only being opend a short time [[illegaly). the owners of the auto shop also dumped 23 abandoned cars across the street from the bar in the art center music school parking lot. it took us a year & a half but we finaly got the eyesores towed away last week hurray! i hope this clears up some of your ?s. u can always stop in or check the old miami facebook page for updates or u can sign the petition directly on facebook. on a further note, 15 people who have had their cars worked on over there have written letters complaining about the quality of their repairs being terrible & the cost high. these r not bar customers, just people we have met at the midtown assoc meetings & around the neighborhood since we started investigating them further. thanks to u all for your intrest & to u django for posting this info. time to fight the good fight people, as the old miami does incredible things for the community & would b sorely missd.

I stopped by Saturday night since some pals were playing. No joke about the splendid backyard. I haven’t been back there since it was a rickety porch. Its meticulous lawn is the Whitney for the rest of us.
    Good luck on the legal battle. I like sludge Daddy’s idea of “hot Asian B-girls in black pajamas” as waitresses.
    I’m sure the few remaining vets would love to relive those Bangkok “Cowboy Soy” nights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast