Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hybrid View

The engineers shouldn't have install pizza sliced glass windows in such a bendable shape. Think of the gusty upper level winds.

What they should have done is make the windows squared and flat and design the tinted pizza slices.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/10/16/little-caesars-headquarters-detroit/1651522002/

DetroitYes is shouted out in this article. It also states that many of the pizza-shaped windows were cracking immediately after installation.

Yes, way to go DYES-ERS!! That will teach Chris Illitch not to wast money on foolish projects. Why can be like Dan Gilbert? He took over half of Downtown Detroit already.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/10/16/little-caesars-headquarters-detroit/1651522002/

DetroitYes is shouted out in this article. It also states that many of the pizza-shaped windows were cracking immediately after installation.
    Somewhat confusing, though. After explaining what a mystery the halt in window installation has been, it is mentioned that a truckload of windows was seen outside of the building this morning with seemingly no follow up. Where did they go from there? Were they brought inside? Were they taken away? Do we really care, or do we care more about the removal of that stupid page trumpeting "Wildcat Corner" and "Cass Park Village" on District Detroit's website that everybody hated and made fun of anyway?

The top two floors have no glass installed and have been covered with sheeting for the past six months. On Tuesday morning, a truck holding stacks of glass shaped like pizza slices was parked in front of the building. A Sept. 25 press releasesaid it will open "early next year."

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    Do we really care, or do we care more about the removal of that stupid page trumpeting "Wildcat Corner" and "Cass Park Village" on District Detroit's website that everybody hated and made fun of anyway?
    IIRC, SmithGroup designed the LC GRC and helped to generate the 'neighborhood' names
    Last edited by hybridy; October-17-18 at 11:15 AM.

The cracking pizza glass is no surprise. During the August downtown theatre tours, one of the managers at the Fillmore Theatre next door mentioned the cracking as the reason behind the stopping of the installation of the pizza glass. It didn't stop building, just facade construction.

One other point of interest was that around the 5th floor of the building a circular 3 story open space was added to the internal building design [[this was visible early on from the upper floors of the Palms Building next door). Wonder if this 3 story rotunda space is a design element built for the upper level executive offices, similar to the glassed in atrium on floors 6-8 in the Fox Building above the theatre lobby.

Here we see the rooftop Fox atrium, but it appears the Little Caesars rotunda will not have a rooftop component....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fo...!4d-83.0526662

I must say, as bad as their Illitches are in terms of food, sports and urban planning/design, I'm impressed with this. The facade looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I must say, as bad as their Illitches are in terms of food, sports and urban planning/design, I'm impressed with this. The facade looks pretty good.
    Shouldn't you be on the District Detroit thread saying "I told you so."? And no, this isn't sarcasm.

Walking by last night I noticed the plastic wrap has disappeared from the top floors of the building. I wonder if this means installation of the remaining windows is imminent, or if it is just aesthetics for the parade. Also I noticed what appear to be revolving doors on Columbia Street and exterior lights on the second floor balcony. This development is moving painfully slow.

They seem to have taken down the live web cam on the District Detroit site.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    They seem to have taken down the live web cam on the District Detroit site.
    http://www.earthcam.net/projects/ili...ittlecaesar_tl

I walked by this afternoon and noticed a crane on site and more of the glass windows ready to go. It appears this window work will be starting up again soon. From my vantage point it looked like a large amount of the building interior was complete. Does anyone have any updates on this slow moving project?

Speaking of window mess-ups, the Vista Tower - which will be the third tallest building in Chicago when completed - also had a major problem with glass that was only fixed relatively recently. Apparently, the general contractor chosen for the project was a big concrete company, and they poured all of the money into that material instead of getting the best trades for every part of the tower. So they got the windows, but the windows didn't fit right. lol So they finally had to adjust their budget and rebid and it finally got fixed. Glass construction was delayed for months.

The Columbia Street pedestrian area is now open. I'm not sure when the construction fences came down, but I walked through the strip this morning. It is very nice looking and construction is still on-going with lots of workers on site, but still no shops or restaurants open.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    The Columbia Street pedestrian area is now open. I'm not sure when the construction fences came down, but I walked through the strip this morning. It is very nice looking and construction is still on-going with lots of workers on site, but still no shops or restaurants open.
    Cool, thanks for the update. Will have to check it out.

Still windows missing on LC HQ though. Winter is coming. Might get drafty in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Cool, thanks for the update. Will have to check it out.

Still windows missing on LC HQ though. Winter is coming. Might get drafty in there.
    They will fix it. Whatever they get ready!

Final windows are [[supposedly) going up a year later....
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...hq/1921865001/

Now that the tough work is done they can finally get on with District Detroit.

someone is getting sued...that's for sure

took too long. But good for them, I guess.

I do agree with the lawsuit part. The vibrations and sound of the mechanical on the roof was causing glass cracking vibrations [[as well as distracting noises). Also, there is a 3 story rotunda in the upper floors of that building... so the rooftop noise even filtered down a few more floors than would otherwise be the case.

Also, this couldn't have happened to them at a worse time... reputation wise, which really is a shame... NOT!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8