Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

New update. Supposedly starting construction this summer. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oreUserAgent=1

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post
    New update. Supposedly starting construction this summer. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oreUserAgent=1
    I'll believe it when I see it. Ilitch has no credibility for projects that are not subsidized.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it. Ilitch has no credibility for projects that are not subsidized.
    Technically it IS subsidized... If the Ilitches spend $200M in the "district," the city will give them $70M over 30 years. Between this building [[$70M), and the parking garage on Montcalm currently being built [[+/- $20M) they are almost halfway there. The infuriating part, is they had plans to renovate buildings for Little Sleazers years ago, but obviously they waited until they got public funds to do so. It was all just overshadowed by the money doled out for the arena.

This link has the cost estimate:
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...esign-unveiled

The estimate for the garage I learned from a contractor that bid the job.
    Last edited by esp1986; June-22-16 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Technically it IS subsidized... If the Ilitches spend $200M in the "district," the city will give them $70M over 30 years. Between this building [[$70M), and the parking garage on Montcalm currently being built [[+/- $20M) they are almost halfway there. The infuriating part, is they had plans to renovate buildings for Little Sleazers years ago, but obviously they waited until they got public funds to do so. It was all just overshadowed by the money doled out for the arena.

This link has the cost estimate:
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...esign-unveiled

The estimate for the garage I learned from a contractor that bid the job.
    Whatever...

One can get into a discourse like St. Paul's on the body [[eye, foot, etc.) but the bottom line for the new arena effort is that it is a total project [[totality) consisting of a number of known [[planned) buildings and probably buildings not yet planned.

So it kind of hard to say that of the 70M so much [[dollars or percentage) is because of a single building or buildings when this project as known today is what 10 - 12 buildings including residential, parking garages, office buildings, etc.

It is STILL my belief that the Ilitches plan to spend many hundreds of millions doing many buildings in the decade to come.

The whole district area west of Woodward will probably evolve in ways we have no idea today. Some one will say I'm going to re-purpose 640 Temple. Someone else says I will re-purpose a building at nnn 2nd street or 3rd street or Ledyard or whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Whatever...
    Typical pie in the sky defense by emu steve of anything Ilitch touches or proposes [[the proposed, yet unfinished list is a lot longer).

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Typical pie in the sky defense by emu steve of anything Ilitch touches or proposes [[the proposed, yet unfinished list is a lot longer).
    I'd rather say that I love to debate the 'doubting Thomases' of Detroit who thought that M-1 wouldn't be built, the arena wouldn't be built, the LC's headquarters wouldn't be built, the new housing adjacent to Comerica won't be built, etc. etc.

For those into counting and checking things off of a list.

The Detnews article by Louis A. indicates that the Ilitches are in for 14 buildings:

"The headquarters is one of 14 planned new buildings the Ilitches intend to announce as part of its $650 million plan to transform 50 blocks of Detroit, mainly north of downtown, into an upscale area that will be anchored by the new home ice of the Red Wings."

Twelve more to go...