Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ummm, the raid the precipitated the 1967 Detroit riot was on an unlicensed bar operating after hours.
    Uhhhh, EastsideAl, don't you know that user mtburb knows all of these things better than you? And to everyone who thinks drunk driving won't be a problem, it's not like anyone drinks at home or has alcohol that they drink out of the designated hours of 7am to 2am.

Sarcasm aside, anyone who is Nancy Grace'ing this law needs to get over themselves. Drunk driving is going to happen regardless of the time bars close. You could even enforce prohibition and people will STILL find a way to get drunk and STILL find a way to drive and STILL find a way to injure innocent people. Saying 2am vs 4am is going to have any meaningful impact is hyperbole meant to enforce your rigid views on how other people should handle their vices.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Uhhhh, EastsideAl, don't you know that user mtburb knows all of these things better than you? And to everyone who thinks drunk driving won't be a problem, it's not like anyone drinks at home or has alcohol that they drink out of the designated hours of 7am to 2am.

Sarcasm aside, anyone who is Nancy Grace'ing this law needs to get over themselves. Drunk driving is going to happen regardless of the time bars close. You could even enforce prohibition and people will STILL find a way to get drunk and STILL find a way to drive and STILL find a way to injure innocent people. Saying 2am vs 4am is going to have any meaningful impact is hyperbole meant to enforce your rigid views on how other people should handle their vices.
    Lets also recognize it's only bars in designated downtowns and those bars are going to need to pay extra for the privilege.

the ridiculous thing is that this law's only chance was in a lame duck session.
    Last edited by bailey; December-05-14 at 01:33 PM.

I was just surprised that I would have to remind people of that crucial historical point.

When I lived in NYC I didn't see any particular problem with the 4 AM closing time. Even in the outer boroughs and suburbs where people drive a lot more there didn't seem to be any more drunk driving incidents than we have here in Michigan - maybe less.

The plain fact was that, except for certain places in Manhattan and some busy dance clubs, the crowds thinned out pretty significantly that late. Most bars really didn't make it to 4, especially on weeknights, and would just close up as the customers dwindled down to few or none sometime after 1 or 2.

You could even enforce prohibition and people will STILL find a way to get drunk and STILL find a way to drive and STILL find a way to injure innocent people.
    Motz, what you are saying is true. The fear is whether there will be MORE drunk drivers on the road and/or whether we've made it easier or more difficult for law enforcement identify and catch them before tragedy strikes.

Nighttime on the roads will get a little more dangerous. I kinda thought they were dangerous enough.

Motorcycle helmet laws repealed and alcohol serving hours extended. I never thought I'd see it.

TUS

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post

Nighttime on the roads will get a little more dangerous. I kinda thought they were dangerous enough.

TUS
    Actually, the only real danger will be that it is coldest before the dawn at about four in the morning. As long as no one passes out on the cold,cold ground before getting to their car or careening on a wet road that got rather icy at that time...God Forbid. Yet, it will also be rather vacant on said roads at that time.
    Last edited by G-DDT; December-05-14 at 11:54 PM. Reason: forgot road

Nancy Grace'ing! LOL! I don't do cable so I don't see her, but I get your point.

Setting that aside however, people have a right to not welcome these extended hours, and that cannot all be rendered as shrill. Booze, eh-er, alcohol has always had some form of regulation and rule of law [[failures to that end withstanding). Note, there's no law about what level of drinking in goes on in your home or what size bottle to buy on the way home [[yet).

Heck, in NY, ala their benevolence to monitor self-destructive 'behaviors', is on the nut regarding how much dog-gone soda pop you can consume! Duh!!

Anyway these extended hours are probably coming. And as individuals everyone just needs to adapt and engage as they need to. I will.

Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-14 at 10:26 AM.

I must say in younger days we knew the after hours joints. Tea coffee or booze. Just not worth it anymore.

Mostly I remember a two time Vietnam vet, two tours. Killed by a drunk at 8 am on the Lodge Eway. He was married only 7 days. His wife lost her mom a dear aunt and husband within months. She is dead now too. She couldn't handle all that loss. Suicide by drugs.