Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Willi Guest

Wayne State is MOST definitely recognized outside the state. I worked in New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey receiving great praise for attending a WELL known top notch university in Michigan.

People around the USA know damn well what city college provides in contrast to living way off at Moo U. Not everyone watches football or cares about it...and it has zero to do with credentials

Party schools versus Working Serious Education
    Last edited by Willi; December-04-14 at 04:19 PM.

I know quite a few WSU graduates. My fiancée went there, actually, and I lived in the Cass Avenue area for awhile. I think it's a quality school and a very unique location. I had a lot of fun in the area, and all the grads I know from there have had little trouble finding jobs.

That said, if I was going to school to be an accountant, I'd go to Michigan State. It's more distinguished and enriching, and the East Lansing/Lansing area is pretty fun for a young person.

Western is a lot like Wayne State, except it's in Kalamazoo. Kalamazoo is a lot smaller than Detroit, but it's a nice little city, and if you wanted to move away from home without the pressure of Big 10 academics, you could do a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Wayne State is MOST definitely recognized outside the state. I worked in New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey receiving great praise for attending a WELL known top notch university in Michigan.

People around the USA know damn well what city college provides in contrast to living way off at Moo U. Not everyone watches football or cares about it...and it has zero to do with credentials

I'm calling total BULL on this. I graduated from WSU and I can tell you it's barely recognized outside of Metro Detroit. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the recognition factor speaks fairly to the quality of the institution, it's just that there are so many schools... the big money 1-As and Ivy League schools are the ones that get the attention. Heck, I received my undergrad from LTU, which is a much higher quality institution than WSU, and even fewer people have heard of that school outside of very specific A/E circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post

Not an MSU grad or WSU grad, but I find it difficult to believe that WSU has a stronger national reputation than MSU.

Perhaps in some niche industries, but I don't think Wayne is really solidly national in terms of reputation [[which obviously has nothing to do with school quality, but I am still surprised that you were working in New York and Connecticut and received "great praise" for a Wayne State degree).

I mean, Ivy League grads are a dime a dozen in the NYC area- they're really yawning over Harvard grads and fawning over WSU grads? You're probably exaggerating just a little.
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-08-14 at 11:01 AM.