Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I think you mean "can't even fathom".
    I think you're right. Thanx...

Squatters eh?

There is a certain University town up here where there are some aging hippie wanna be's that think this community of squatters is soooooo cool.

I think it's kinda of naive on their part cause I grew up in area's like this and there is nothing cool about it.

http://archive.freep.com/article/201...r-neighborhood

Anybody intentionally living this way with kids is not doing the kids any favors what so ever.

^^^ Yeah, wayyy cooooool until it IS your home!

Hah! In a way some jerks hold up on your property are a 'phantom' of sorts and specter too, yet not of the ghostly kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I think you're right. Thanx...
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-01-14 at 12:24 AM.

We have much bigger problems than squatters if Phantoms are invading vacant homes in Detroit...

“They try to make it seem like, oh, you’re just not ready for ‘the change,’ ” Lions said. “But to me it’s like going backwards. It’s like we’re regressing into animalness. You’re living in a house where you don’t have any lights, you don’t have any water, you’re not washing up. You’re basically a caveman.”

dafuq is an aninmalness?

I'm a bit confused with this thread. I no longer live in Detroit so it's possible that I don't understand the situation. Where I live, I guess if I came home from a short vacation and there were people living, partying in my house, I could call the police and in probably 10 minutes there would be a swat team or something similar at my home. People would be arrested for a B&E which in most areas is a serious offense. I realize that there are situations where renters that don't pay the rent can sometimes remain in the residence for long periods of time. But is this thread compiling squatters, B&E's and homeless people desperate for a place to live and squatting in an abandoned house, all in one situation. I'm a bit confused. These all seem to be different situations. I realize that all these situations are a problem, but why people seem to consider them all the same problem, or the same crime is confusing to me. By the way, the video of the neighbors that thought the person that wasn't at their house 24/7 and was at fault because of that, was something that I couldn't perceive at any level. I think that for most people, and I don't care where you live, that would be unacceptable.

Why can't you just shoot them? They are in your house. Last I knew, if intruders were in your home you were allowed to shoot them since they are a threat.

That's pretty much along the lines that I was thinking. Just thought I'd elaborate a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I'm a bit confused with this thread. I no longer live in Detroit so it's possible that I don't understand the situation. Where I live, I guess if I came home from a short vacation and there were people living, partying in my house, I could call the police and in probably 10 minutes there would be a swat team or something similar at my home. People would be arrested for a B&E which in most areas is a serious offense. I realize that there are situations where renters that don't pay the rent can sometimes remain in the residence for long periods of time. But is this thread compiling squatters, B&E's and homeless people desperate for a place to live and squatting in an abandoned house, all in one situation. I'm a bit confused. These all seem to be different situations. I realize that all these situations are a problem, but why people seem to consider them all the same problem, or the same crime is confusing to me. By the way, the video of the neighbors that thought the person that wasn't at their house 24/7 and was at fault because of that, was something that I couldn't perceive at any level. I think that for most people, and I don't care where you live, that would be unacceptable.
    It all depends where it happens. The combination of lack of police response, vacant homes that are wide open, and extreme liberalism by the media is unique to the area. Everywhere else this would be a home invasion, police would respond and forcibly remove them. Shame on those media assholes for making people look sinister for protecting property.

Neighbors watching out for neighbors also helps. Scrappers can't even go through the garbage around here without getting stopped. Maybe the media will start sympathizing with them next.

Thinking needs to change around here. You are right - it's unacceptable to everyone but the liberal entertainment media that likes to make trouble, then stand back and report on it. Fuck 'em.

Two people have been killed and a third person is wounded. This is what it has devolved into.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ings/19717221/

As another poster predicted, “This can snowball quickly.” And this all happened in Rosedale Park – one of the nicer neighborhoods.

Father [[74 yo) and daughter [[37 yo) go to evict the occupants of a home they bought at a tax foreclosure auction. They brought along the eviction documents and called the police several times. Then they saw the occupants stealing fixtures from the home.

“Officers didn't immediately respond because there were other incidents with higher priorities. The woman and her father, armed, approached the house. Inside was the occupant, his son, an armed 22-year-old who is believed to be a nephew, and a 26-year-old woman, Woody said.

It's unclear who fired the first bullet, Woody said, but rounds were exchanged before the 37-year-old woman and her father were killed. The 26-year-old woman also sustained non life-threatening wounds.”

Detroit has 62,000 tax foreclosures at auction. How many are going to end up like this??

shouldnt it be easy to arrest a squatter?

i mean, arrest for 'in possession of stolen goods' or just have a cop try to buy one of the goods and now its 'selling stolen property' too!

Police Sgt. Michael Woody said the incident began when a woman called police to ask for assistance evicting the occupants around 3 p.m. Friday. The home's occupant — a man in his 50s — agreed, secured a moving vehicle and friends to help, Woody said.
    they actually got the guy to agree to move.

but when he started moving things they wanted... they got in a gunfight over it.
    a gunfight over some cabinets? a lamp? the couch?
    really?

Or possibly the original mantel, the original chandelier, the French doors, the pedestal sink, the library windows- the things that people really want that make the house valuable.

"DYes commentator SWMAP says its ok to shoot at people because they were stealing a sink and some doors."

two people are dead. over some french doors? some window glass?
    some bullshit reason to die. thats for sure.

This is how your squat in people's property:

1. Look for a vacant home that was recently brought or owned by a bank or new homeowner.

2. Occupy it.

3. Fix it up.

4. Deal with your new landlord who wants you out.

5. Share with your homeowner and get along. If that don't work, just leave!

The only you can do to get rid of the squatter is by court order and you must present your deed claiming that you are the true homeowner of the property. Sorry! the police can't help you.
    Last edited by Danny; December-01-14 at 02:20 PM.

How to prevent a squatter for invading your home:

1. Once you brought the home, move in and occupy it immediately.

2. Move your furniture in immediately.

DYes commentator SWMAP says its ok to shoot at people because they were stealing a sink and some doors."

The papers are reporting the opposite of your baiting little remark - the thieves are the ones who shot and the owners of the doors and sinks are the dead people

Willi Guest

Isn't the answer to everything in late 2014 - shoot at everything that moves

Shoot first and then spin the story for the lawyers, courts and jury's so it's slap on the wrist.

I don't feel """safe""" when many people on a street have concealed weapons permits
    and the remaining just have guns stuck in their pants with no permits. No thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    "DYes commentator SWMAP says its ok to shoot at people because they were stealing a sink and some doors."

two people are dead. over some french doors? some window glass?
    some bullshit reason to die. thats for sure.
    So it's OK for squatter thugs to kill homeowners and not even be charged?

More proof how fucked up this place is.

I felt bad that my son was possibly interested in a home not far from ours, street type squatters were living in it so he just shrugged and took a pass. Shame really. Too much hassle to remove them

There are different scenarios however. A derelict house slated for demolition and homeless people staying in them to take shelter,don't bother me much.

If the cops would have just done their job and earned their benefits and arrested the trespassers, those two homeowners would still be alive. It would have taken all of 10 minutes. After reading these horror stories, a SWAT team just for this purpose would be the ticket I'll bet a lot of civilian volunteers would sign up, provided with BP vests, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Bullshit. You can get them out.

Sorry! It's squatter's Rights. Look for the circle with irregular 'n' shape arrow pointing up! Human rats can live in your property just like rats and roaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    and also wrong...
    New Laws:
    HB 5069/PA 223 amends the revised judicature act to allow a landlord to use force [[but not including assault) and self-help when recovering possession of premises from a person who came into possession by trespass [[squatting.)

HB 5070/PA224 makes squatting in a single family house or a duplex a misdemeanor for the first offense, with a $5,000 maximum fine and 180 days maximum sentence; and a felony for second and subsequent offenses, with a $10,000 maximum file and a 2 year maximum sentence.

HB 5071/PA225 identifies the felony for second and subsequent squatting offenses as a class G felony with a 2 year maximum sentence.
    The squatter will challenge that law to the United Nations. And those laws only works as long as the squatter[[s) moves into any vacant property not occupied by the homeowner within 30 days of purchase and not damaging the property inside and out.

Willi Guest

3 hots and a cot - for squatting

Sounds like a homeless mans dream come true
    for the winter months since they can't pay the fines involved
    Last edited by Willi; December-06-14 at 03:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast