Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Somerset collection commercial

Watching the parade right now on TV and there is a Somerset commercial airing with a beautiful interior... Is this local? Anyone know where this was shot? Parts look familiar but I can't place it.

Perhaps FNB Building? I haven't been there in a while, perhaps their new space is ready.

By beautiful interior, you mean a store interior? Or like a house or something?

No, it's probably a public space, maybe a hotel interior? No furniture visible. It's not the Book Cadillac. Maybe some place in book tower?
    Last edited by kklemmer; November-27-14 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kklemmer View Post
    No, it's probably a public space, maybe a hotel interior? No furniture visible. It's not the Book Cadillac. Maybe some place in book tower?
    I think it's a house. Not sure of the location but here is the full video: https://www.thesomersetcollection.com/film/

I'm more inclined to think it's not a local building. Based on the other film in this ad campaign, it's likely somewhere pretty well-known for luxury estates.

http://panzanoandpartners.com/somers...omerset-films/
    Last edited by animatedmartian; November-27-14 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I'm more inclined to think it's not a local building. Based on the other film in this ad campaign, it's likely somewhere pretty well-known for luxury estates.

http://panzanoandpartners.com/somers...omerset-films/
    Yes. The company that made the ad is headquartered in New Jersey, and state that their business is "enhanc[[ing) the business of high quality developers of unique destinations, through intense branding of the experiences they provide ... by developing emotion-evoking advertising that promotes the benefits rather than the features". So, my guess is that the location of the ad is supposed to simply evoke a feeling of luxury and is somewhere out of this area but more local to the agency. Perhaps one of the giant old mansions in the Hudson Valley or on the north coast of Long Island.

Now, how a giant, ugly, overpriced, mall in the blandest of bland midwestern suburbs is in any way a "unique destination", or will have the possibility of making you feel like you're diaphanously twirling around in a sumptuous 19th century mansion, is another question entirely. But such is the world of marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Now, how a giant, ugly, overpriced, mall in the blandest of bland midwestern suburbs is in any way a "unique destination", or will have the possibility of making you feel like you're diaphanously twirling around in a sumptuous 19th century mansion, is another question entirely. But such is the world of marketing.
    It was worth a shot.

Yes. The company that made the ad is headquartered in New Jersey, and state that their business is "enhanc[[ing) the business of high quality developers of unique destinations, through intense branding of the experiences they provide ... by developing emotion-evoking advertising that promotes the benefits rather than the features". So, my guess is that the location of the ad is supposed to simply evoke a feeling of luxury and is somewhere out of this area but more local to the agency. Perhaps one of the giant old mansions in the Hudson Valley or on the north coast of Long Island.

To be fair, Somerset does draw in shoppers from out-of-state, but the interesting part is that their marketing strategy does make it seem like it's the 5th Avenue of Detroit or something.

This ad is from 2011 and if you didn't know any better, you would get the sense that the mall was located downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYTkYKzhNMs

To be fair, Somerset does draw in shoppers from out-of-state, but the interesting part is that their marketing strategy does make it seem like it's the 5th Avenue of Detroit or something.
    That's exactly what it is.

Somerset is, without question, the dominant retail center in Michigan, and probably the dominant retail center between NYC and Chicago. While the other malls slowly die, Somerset has full occupancy and a wait-list for retail spaces. It's a huge cash cow for Forbes.

There are maybe a dozen retail hubs in the U.S. that are comparable or better than Somerset.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That's exactly what it is.

Somerset is, without question, the dominant retail center in Michigan, and probably the dominant retail center between NYC and Chicago. While the other malls slowly die, Somerset has full occupancy and a wait-list for retail spaces. It's a huge cash cow for Forbes.

There are maybe a dozen retail hubs in the U.S. that are comparable or better than Somerset.
    Well, except for every real city in the U.S., Canada, and the rest of the developed world [[other than Detroit) that doesn't have their "dominant retail center" in a mall in the middle of a former cornfield surrounded by endless hideous parking lots and bland office park tundra land. And, hey, maybe we can go to Applebee's once were done shopping!

Somerset is, without question, the dominant retail center in Michigan, and probably the dominant retail center between NYC and Chicago.
    Holy caveat, Batman!

To be fair, Somerset does draw in shoppers from out-of-state,
    That is a technicality. Somerset might attract shoppers from Windsor and Toledo but that's about it. I doubt it attracts anyone who has to travel more than two hours. They could just go to Chicago or Toronto and have a far better shopping experience.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That is a technicality. Somerset might attract shoppers from Windsor and Toledo but that's about it. I doubt it attracts anyone who has to travel more than two hours. They could just go to Chicago or Toronto and have a far better shopping experience.
    I think it's far less likely that someone from Toledo would shop at Somerset than someone from Toronto. Somerset has flagship stores for some of those luxury name brands that aren't anywhere else in the Midwest other than Chicago. Not everyone who buys those luxury brands may necessarily enjoy the locations in Chicago or Toronto. Toronto especially has higher taxes than here in the states and shoppers can get better deals.

I'm all for Detroit, obviously, but Somerset and Great Lakes Crossing are two of the most important retail centers we have and are definitely regional draws from outstate, Ohio, and SW Ontario. While we may not be an international destination, they are a destination. If driving over an hour to go shopping isn't a long distance commute, I don't know what is.

Why do you think that Holiday Inn was built next to Great Lakes?

As someone who wouldn't drive an hour to get to Somerset, or any other similar [[no)place [[I think I've been there maybe 3 times in my entire life, although I do have a great uncle who is buried nearby in another former cornfield), it's hard for me to believe that any significant number of people drive 4 hours or more to get to a shopping mall wrapped by a thrilling parking tundra.

Once you get done buying outrageously priced merchandise, what the hell do you do? Go drink and grill steaks in the parking lot and pretend you could be going to a football game? If you're going to drive that far, why wouldn't you go to Chicago, or Toronto, or some other actual city with, you know, actual glamor and actual interesting things to do?

As someone who wouldn't drive an hour to get to Somerset, or any other similar [[no)place [[I think I've been there maybe 3 times in my entire life, although I do have a great uncle who is buried nearby in another former cornfield), it's hard for me to believe that any significant number of people drive 4 hours or more to get to a shopping mall wrapped by a thrilling parking tundra.

Once you get done buying outrageously priced merchandise, what the hell do you do? Go drink and grill steaks in the parking lot and pretend you could be going to a football game? If you're going to drive that far, why wouldn't you go to Chicago, or Toronto, or some other actual city with, you know, actual glamor and actual interesting things to do?
    The only thing that separates Somerset from any other mall in the Detroit area is that it has corporate locations for some of the usual suspect of high end labels: Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Gucci. Beyond that there is not much that you can experience in Somerset that you cannot elsewhere in Metro Detroit.

Then when you talk about people from Toronto traveling to Troy to shop in a mall you get into ridiculous territory. Toronto has four Burberry locations to Metro Detroit's one Somerset location. Toronto has two Louis Vuitton stores to Metro Detroit's one Somerset location. Toronto has one Hermes store to Metro Detroit's none. Whatever minimal amount of shopping tourism there might be coming from Toronto to Somerset is most certainly dwarfed by the amount of destination shopping money headed the other way.
    Last edited by iheartthed; December-01-14 at 01:12 PM.

A
    Toronto has inferior shopping and higher prices. Why would shoppers go to a city with inferior shopping and higher prices? Toronto has surprisingly little upscale retail compared to American cities, and the exchange rate means Americans would be extremely foolish to buy clothing in Toronto.

I doubt too many people are choosing Somerset over downtown Chicago, which has better shopping than Toronto [[or Somerset) but you do realize that downtown Chicago retail is mostly mall-based too, right? All the Michigan Ave. department stores are attached to shopping malls and parking garages.

And while there's a lot more to do in both Chicago and Toronto, "glamour" isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind for either city. We aren't exactly talking Cannes, Gstaad or East Hampton here. If you want an urban experience, obviously vastly better than anything in Michigan, but that isn't saying much, and we're talking shoppers here, not urbanists.
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-01-14 at 01:31 PM.

Exactly, EA.

If you are driving hours from another state/country to go to Somerset, your life priorities are hosed. I have only been to Somerset exactly 3 times in my life. All of those 3 times I was going to the Apple store. Prior to my first Apple store visit in late 2011 I had never set foot in the place. I despise malls so I do my best to avoid them.

And if I ever drove to a mall in the Midwest, it would be definitely be Chicago or TO.

Compared to Detroit, Toronto does not have inferior shopping. High prices? Yes, but the upmarket, middle market, and second hand/flea market stores are some of the best shopping choices outside of probably New York City. Better than Chicago, too.

Again most people in Toronto who can afford to live there are already shopping on Bloor and Yonge. I would say most of the people from the GTA who come to Somerset or Great Lakes are from the vast suburbs around Toronto. It was recently reported that Canadians have more disposable income than ever before and a very strong middle class and therefore they would venture this far to go shopping on par with what they have there but at better prices.

And Eastside Al, I've heard of insular hicks from the suburbs/outstate not understanding you city folk, but man are you sounding quite insular yourself. Just because you personally don't ever go past 8 Mile, doesn't mean other don't leave their abodes. They don't want Chicago or Toronto for the glamour, they want the shopping. And since they're splurging for Christmas, they don't want to splurge on lodging, parking, eating which can add up in Chicago or Toronto.

And Bham, there's a difference between the urban glamour of Chicago and Toronto and the resort glamour of Cannes, Gstaad, or East Hampton.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Compared to Detroit, Toronto does not have inferior shopping. High prices? Yes, but the upmarket, middle market, and second hand/flea market stores are some of the best shopping choices outside of probably New York City. Better than Chicago, too.
    You may be right, but I'm not talking about flea markets, I'm talking upscale chain store shopping. No one is going to Somerset, or Michigan Ave., or Bloor Street, based on quality of local flea markets. Toronto doesn't have Saks, or Neiman Marcus, or Barneys, or Bloomingdales, or many of the chains common to large American cities. I don't care, but many shoppers do.

And Bham, there's a difference between the urban glamour of Chicago and Toronto and the resort glamour of Cannes, Gstaad, or East Hampton.
    You're right, though my point is that Chicago and Toronto aren't glamorous, not urban glamorous, not resort glamorous, just not glamorous, at all. Better to use Paris, NYC, London and the like for urban glamour. Or even SF, Amsterdam or Vienna.

Chicago is a huge, brawling, industrial and logistics city, the capital of the American heartland; Toronto was a small, provincial city that boomed massively in recent decades and is remarkable for its anonymous feel and lack of character. It could be anywhere on the globe.

As for atmosphere, been on Michigan Ave. lately? It's the same crappy restaurant chains, but now appealing to waddling, frumpy tourists, instead of waddling, frumpy locals. Cheesecake Factory, Buca di Beppo, Maggianos, Noodles and Company, etc. It's the same crappy chains as on Big Beaver or Novi Rd. Bloor in Toronto may be a bit different in that adjacent Yorkville has independent restaurants.

You may be right, but I'm not talking about flea markets, I'm talking upscale chain store shopping. No one is going to Somerset, or Michigan Ave., or Bloor Street, based on quality of local flea markets. Toronto doesn't have Saks, or Neiman Marcus, or Barneys, or Bloomingdales, or many of the chains common to large American cities. I don't care, but many shoppers do.

You're right, though my point is that Chicago and Toronto aren't glamorous, not urban glamorous, not resort glamorous, just not glamorous, at all. Better to use Paris, NYC, London and the like for urban glamour. Or even SF, Amsterdam or Vienna.

Chicago is a huge, brawling, industrial and logistics city, the capital of the American heartland; Toronto was a small, provincial city that boomed massively in recent decades and is remarkable for its anonymous feel and lack of character. It could be anywhere on the globe.

As for atmosphere, been on Michigan Ave. lately? It's the same crappy restaurant chains, but now appealing to waddling, frumpy tourists, instead of waddling, frumpy locals. Cheesecake Factory, Buca di Beppo, Maggianos, Noodles and Company, etc. It's the same crappy chains as on Big Beaver or Novi Rd. Bloor in Toronto may be a bit different in that adjacent Yorkville has independent restaurants.
    Ummmmm...no. Toronto is about to get two Nordstrom stores at their local upscale malls. A Saks store at Bloor/Yonge which will rival Canada's own Holt Renfrew. Plus Hudson's Bay has really revamped their image. Obviously you've never been to Bloor or Queen St. W lately, but they have alot more to offer than Somerset. Much of the same American chains mixed with local Canadian and indie stores.

Both cities have money and urbanism which attracts people and capital. Making them glamorous places to live, work, and play. Despite what Michigan Ave or Bloor St. are there are plenty of local shops and restaurants on the north side and in Midtown and across their cities, that aren't corporate.

Anyways, back to Somerset. They exist. They attract people from all over. Get over it. If you don't like it, don't go to it.

Ummmmm...no. Toronto is about to get two Nordstrom stores at their local upscale malls. A Saks store at Bloor/Yonge which will rival Canada's own Holt Renfrew. Plus Hudson's Bay has really revamped their image. Obviously you've never been to Bloor or Queen St. W lately, but they have alot more to offer than Somerset. Much of the same American chains mixed with local Canadian and indie stores.
    You apparently didn't read my post, and you're making up stuff about Toronto.

Once again, Toronto doesn't have Saks, Neiman Marcus, Barneys or Bloomingdales. None of these stores exist in Toronto, but they exist in major U.S. cities. Somerset has some of these stores, and Toronto doesn't. I don't care what may happen in the future, it's obviously irrelevant to the present. No one is going shopping to Toronto today because Saks may be coming in the future.

Toronto has a Nordstrom in a suburban mall, as does cosmopolitan Macomb Township. I never mentioned Nordstrom, because it isn't upscale, and Toronto already has it. Metro Detroit has more and bigger Nordstrom stores.

Hudsons Bay is Macys. We have a few of those in the U.S. No one is driving to Toronto to shop at a Macys, with prices 50% higher. The flagship is a mess, BTW, with only the basement attractive. It's being downsized.

And Queen Street West is a non-entity in terms of upscale retail. It has nothing. There is zero attraction for suburban ladies who lunch looking for fancy chains. They aren't looking for Urban Outfitters and tattoo parlors, i don't think.

Both cities have money and urbanism which attracts people and capital. Making them glamorous places to live, work, and play. Despite what Michigan Ave or Bloor St. are there are plenty of local shops and restaurants on the north side and in Midtown and across their cities, that aren't corporate.
    And this is the typical C-D bullshit. Some cities have money, others have urbanism, some have both, many have neither, none of this has anything to do with ladies wasting money at Neiman Marcus.

There are two U.S. cities with dominant traditional retail cores [[read- stand-alone department stores and traditional retail streets- NYC and SF) and two more with semi-dominant, mall oriented retail cores [[department stores attached to shopping mall/mixed-use complexes- Chicago and Boston).

Outside of these four the destination retail centers are suburban [[Beverly Hills/LA Westside, Aventura/Bal Harbour in Miami, Tysons Corner in DC area, Galleria in Houston, Mall of America in Twin Cities, King of Prussia in Philly, South Coast Plaza in Orange County, Cherry Creek in Denver, etc.).

You apparently didn't read my post, and you're making up stuff about Toronto.

Once again, Toronto doesn't have Saks, Neiman Marcus, Barneys or Bloomingdales. None of these stores exist in Toronto, but they exist in major U.S. cities. Somerset has some of these stores, and Toronto doesn't. I don't care what may happen in the future, it's obviously irrelevant to the present. No one is going shopping to Toronto today because Saks may be coming in the future.

Toronto has a Nordstrom in a suburban mall, as does cosmopolitan Macomb Township. I never mentioned Nordstrom, because it isn't upscale, and Toronto already has it. Metro Detroit has more and bigger Nordstrom stores.

Hudsons Bay is Macys. We have a few of those in the U.S. No one is driving to Toronto to shop at a Macys, with prices 50% higher. The flagship is a mess, BTW, with only the basement attractive. It's being downsized.

And Queen Street West is a non-entity in terms of upscale retail. It has nothing. There is zero attraction for suburban ladies who lunch looking for fancy chains. They aren't looking for Urban Outfitters and tattoo parlors, i don't think.

And this is the typical C-D bullshit. Some cities have money, others have urbanism, some have both, many have neither, none of this has anything to do with ladies wasting money at Neiman Marcus.

There are two U.S. cities with dominant traditional retail cores [[read- stand-alone department stores and traditional retail streets- NYC and SF) and two more with semi-dominant, mall oriented retail cores [[department stores attached to shopping mall/mixed-use complexes- Chicago and Boston).

Outside of these four the destination retail centers are suburban [[Beverly Hills/LA Westside, Aventura/Bal Harbour in Miami, Tysons Corner in DC area, Galleria in Houston, Mall of America in Twin Cities, King of Prussia in Philly, South Coast Plaza in Orange County, Cherry Creek in Denver, etc.).
    I usually know that debating with you is like debating with a brick wall, but it's too much fun because your apparent disregard for facts is amusing. What is C-D?

I would really like to know what I'm making up about Toronto. Go look at the business directories of Bloor St. and Queen St. West. Considering I travel there on average 2x a year, I know the city pretty well. Most of those stores can be found here, plus stores we do not have. In fact however, the superior shopping in Toronto is best found in the second hand stores of Kensington Market and the independent shops.

Frankly, I've lost what the heck we were debating in the first place. All I'm saying is Toronto [[and Chicago for that matter) has some damn fine shopping, if you have the money. The people that live there won't venture out of there just for shopping trips.

If you've actually ever been to either of those cities, they are unique, glamorous, and fun in their own way.

And no, Hudson's Bay is not like Macy's. Being the oldest corporation in North American, it has standards unlike sellout Macy's.

Hall of fame high jack thread.