Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

If you live in the tri-county area, but not in Detroit proper, you are penalized with the so-called "Detroit Effect". We live in Wayne County, not in Detroit, and have to pay for the sins of the inner city in our insurance rates. I just paid an annual automobile insurance bill two weeks ago for for 5 cars: for my wife, I, our two children, and a collector vehicle that is driven less than 200 miles per year, and it was just over $4,200 with no tickets and no claims for anyone in the family. My insurance agent bluntly told me the reason for the exorbitant premiums was because we live in a town adjacent to Detroit.

I could insure the same vehicles at my other address up north for about half of what it costs down here. As I do not want to commit insurance fraud, I will not do so. But it is ridiculous that we have to pay for the sins of a city that we almost never go into.

Homeowner's insurance is another issue altogether. Because we are close to Detroit our homeowner's policy is over $3,500 per annum with never a single claim. We have ample protection and security measures and still are raked over the coals for living close to Detroit.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; November-19-14 at 10:51 PM.