Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Next time take a flashlight with you when you walk. That's what country folk do and they manage to get places without crying.
    Except that we don't live in the country.

We share a densely-packed urban environment with a ton of potential criminals who thrive best when no one can witness their crimes due to inadequate lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The new "up to federal standards" lighting is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. So the "federal standards" call for LESS light than the hardly-adequate [[and rarely powered) lights we had before?

Because they are going around ripping out working light poles, and leaving no lighting at all on our streets for months. Then finally replacing them with one, or at most 2, piss-poor "new" lights per block, that light up nothing more than the little circle of street directly underneath them.

All we wanted was a return to what we had: several working and powered street lights per block, dammit. Is that just too much to ask? Instead we get this cockamamie boondoggle of a plan to spend umpteen million dollars on crappy lights that are worse than what they are [[sloooowly) replacing.
    The funny part about it too is the city hasn't reduced the amount of lights on main thoroughfares [[Gratiot for example), which were already fairly well lit by car headlights and businesses along these streets.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-10-14 at 02:31 PM.

I don't think they're that bad, just different. They've changed them out on Jefferson West of the McArthur Bridge, and recently on Van Dyke @ the foot of Jefferson going North. There has to be some kind of schedule they can't be two places @ once. Wiring has to be run and concrete footings installed on some locations before the lights can go up.

This lighting plan doesn't serve my street - a little street just eight lots long. The two amaible vapor lights that hovered over the alleys were removed. Now the alleys are pitch black and the houses that abut the alleys are in total darkness. The owners have to get up at 5:00 to see their kids to their cars.
    HOWEVER, a new LED [[cheaper) light was installed in the middle of the block. Al is correct - these lights produce a very directed cone of glaring light - the light does not spread. Only what is under the cone is illuminated.
    The contained cone may be a concession to the huge glaring light that the houses in front and behind the fixture have to contend with - an intrusive and sleep-defying light.
    Yes, I can use blackout shades _ I bought two for more than $100 last week. but then I won't be able to have fresh air from open windows in the bedroom - the light pours in. I think its awful.
    I have put up with so much in Detroit, but this inescapable glare may be the last straw. Its like living in a prison yard.
    And the risk of breast cancer from ambient light at night is well-documented. I pity the poor women who have no idea that this amount of night light flooding there houses is toxic and who can't install blackouts:

Several studies over the last decade have suggested that the modern practice of keeping our bodies exposed to artificial light at night, or LAN, increases cancer risk, especially for cancers [[such as breast and prostate cancers) that require hormones to grow. Women who work night shifts have shown higher rates of breast cancer,1 whereas blind women, who are not likely to be exposed to or perceive LAN, have shown decreased risks.2 In 2007, the International Agency for Cancer Research declared shiftwork a probable human carcinogen.3 Now a large study of 164 countries adds another piece of evidence, implicating overall light pollution.
    The study, conducted by University of Connecticut epidemiologist Richard Stevens and colleagues at the University of Haifa, showed that higher population-weighted country-level LAN levels were associated with higher incidence of breast cancer.4 A sensitivity test indicated a 30–50% increased risk of breast cancer in countries with the highest versus lowest LAN levels. No such association was found between LAN and incidence of non-hormone-dependent lung, colorectal, larynx, or liver cancers in women.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Except that we don't live in the country.

We share a densely-packed urban environment with a ton of potential criminals who thrive best when no one can witness their crimes due to inadequate lighting.
    Thank you [[I think) Of course I should have taken a flash light,thank you Belleisle runner. didn't think but focused on neighborly care. Of course in your cute jogging suit you might sneer at us lowly citizens. Maybe, just maybe, you might wake up at 4AM when the weather is below zero to take area residents to work or kids to school. But no, you are way too cool for that. I got new batteries for my flashlight and no problems shining ignorant folk who jog and think they are way cool.

Ok, I apologize for being shirtty. But then everyone who is so knowledgeable about Detroit issues which of course don't live here, have never held a sobbing teen in their arms who just got raped. Lighting is a huge issue.

Hey, keep on jogging,

11/13/14 [[Thursday) -- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. -- Councilwoman Mary Sheffield invites everyone to a meeting at the Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church, 2080 W. Grand Blvd, to discuss public lighting issues in District 5. Also attending the meeting will be representatives from the Public Lighting Authority, DTE Energy and the Public Lighting Department. Food and refreshments will be provided. Call 224-4505 to RSVP.*

[QUOTE=sumas;458548]Ok, I apologize for being shirtty. But then everyone who is so knowledgeable about Detroit issues which of course don't live here, have never held a sobbing teen in their arms who just got raped. Lighting is a huge issue.

Lighting should take priority even though it's a separate department. The effect of lighting on crime is amazing. I hope you get them fixed.

I don't understand why anyone would be crying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would be crying.
    Me either. Lighting is a part of city living,. Thinking, they just, "Want to wash us away", Going onward people. We love our old homes, our history, our neighborhood. Simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Ok, I apologize for being shirtty. But then everyone who is so knowledgeable about Detroit issues which of course don't live here, have never held a sobbing teen in their arms who just got raped. Lighting is a huge issue.

Hey, keep on jogging,
    For God's sake, why don't you just move out and find something new to bitch about. I kinda think you wouldn't be happy if you didn't have something to piss and moan over. There, now you can bitch about me.

Happy to oblige Jerry Van. Thirty posts and you think you know me. First I don't piss and moan. I take action. I do share concerns on line and always appreciate valid advice. I am quite effective as a member of a community I love. Please share your accomplishments. Really want to hear what you do for wherever you live. Do know you are rude.

Oy Vey! Dear, sweet, beleaguered Sumas; although I only began posting this year I have observed this forum from nearly its beginning.

Through the years I have noticed that a great preponderance of your postings are either complaining about this, that or the other thing, lashing out with vulgarity at folks with whom you do not agree, boasting about what you allegedly do in the way of charity, or going on ad nauseam about how much you love your neighborhood, neighbors etc.

You say that you are "quite effective as a member of a community I love". What does that even mean? We all love our communities for if we didn't we would move to another one.

You often ask or demand that folks state their accomplishments as if they somehow must compete with your alleged deeds. Most folks volunteer their time and donate money to various causes. True charity is done anonymously. It is in very poor form to boast about what one has supposedly done charitably or philanthropically.

When folks constantly talk about themselves and tell everyone how wonderful they are it is a sure sign that they are not truly as they hold themselves out to be. It is also a desperate cry for attention.

I hold no ill will toward you. This post is not a personal attack but rather my observations. If you now feel the need to lash out at me by all means do so. I have a thick skin.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; November-15-14 at 12:15 PM.

Sumas is just following Golda Meir's advice: "Don't be so humble! You are not that great."
    Or maybe, "If you brag about your good deed, it does not count." [[Not sure who gave that
    advice). So, then you have to do another good deed.
    Sumas is nearly a homie of mine. Think Anthony Hopkins, Sy. All things considered
    she's probably doing just fine.

It is in very poor form to boast about what one has supposedly done charitably or philanthropically.
    And pointing out other people's faults as you perceive them is "good form"?

A reminder- this board does have an ignore feature.

But Sy, you are right. There is something just a tad off about the spectre of Sir Anthony's distant relative being upset in the dark.

There is a danger in over-acknowledging a situation and one with over-coping with a situation. Yet, the over-coping is the worst, seeing as far too many folks chose to over-cope or seek anything [[chemicals, electronic gizmos, media, any other diversions, etc.) to avoid addressing a matter. Over-acknowledging-especially done in an eloquent manner-is always in rare form [[some of Spike Lee's in-your-face approach in a few of his films is a fine example of over-acknowledging-and don't get me wrong, I dig Spike Lee's films a lot). In the '90s, we were justifiably grumpy about things, spot on instinctual, in fact, however, we weren't so good at ironing out the intricate details and ins-and-outs and eloquating them all that "good"...derfderf.
    Nowadays, people are too distracted to be incisive and to apply critical comparatives, and we tend to get awash in a sea of irrelevant or obfuscating points [[like when we actually heed P.R. B.S.-artists who talk about how the rights of a corporation "as a person" are being violated). There is nothing wrong with a healthy sense of skepticism [[versus a spirit-crushing cynicism).
    All that flibberjack aside, as far as street lighting goes, it was typical from where I grew up [[North Rosedale Park) to have various parts of town in a rotating cycle of being off. Yes, lighting does equate to safety, and if you want true trauma, find a situation with you and your friends getting jumped at park, run out into the newly sunset night in terror screaming your heads off for help, and watch helplessly as neighbors immediately slam their doors and shut off their porch and front living room lights. How incredibly Genovese! It's like something out of that stupid movie that Jeremy Piven did before he got mercury poisoning from all the sushi [[y'know the one, when rap artists and "alternative" bands worked together on the soundtrack). Anyway, I was recently shocked to see Caniff [[Hamtramck) still rather dark [[which it most certainly was not in those bygone days-what days were they?-oh, gee..um...oh yeah...the '90s) in patches.
    We forget just how urban we are when it's all gone, and that blackout in 2003 should have been a real big wake-up call [[remember the one, where from here to New York no one had power for 26 hours? People trapped in elevators. A jittery apocalyptic minister on the hand cranked radio that was hacked only to pick up local religious stations-my mom unwittingly bought off some pyramid scheme types-going on about how this was definitely the "culmination of things to come". People crying without their air conditioning or their gizmos). There's me and my brother stepping out to walk one block to see how densely dark it was, only to see a roving band of teens in long white shirts chanting"itching to do some killin'". Chills one to think how society will carry itself should black-outs and food shortages ever become a common thing, eh? Riotous and playing right into the system's hands for a heavy lock-down, urban pacification, and enforced systematic processing....but maybe that's just mere speculation. My best advice to you all is to walk in the light while the light is still within you.

Sumas will prevail.

THE PROHIBITION,by John Donne
    Take heed of hating me,
    Or too much triumph in the victory ;
    Not that I shall be mine own officer,
    And hate with hate again retaliate ;
    But thou wilt lose the style of conqueror,
    If I, thy conquest, perish by thy hate.
    Then, lest my being nothing lessen thee,
    If thou hate me, take heed of hating me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Sumas will prevail.

THE PROHIBITION,by John Donne
    Thank you for sharing that, much to ponder and reflect on.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Thank you for sharing that, much to ponder and reflect on.
    You're most welcome, sumas.

It really applies to the whole of Detroit if you think about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2