Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

For me, the stereotype is that I'm a rich suburbanite who came to Detroit to "save" it [[because I live in Midtown). I'll never be able to shake that... and obviously, it comes from people of all races. But, more often than not, I've run into black people on the street who told me I need to go back to the suburbs... even though I've never lived in a suburb... It's mostly a downtown area thing / certainly not a neighborhood thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mattharding313 View Post
    For me, the stereotype is that I'm a rich suburbanite who came to Detroit to "save" it [[because I live in Midtown). I'll never be able to shake that... and obviously, it comes from people of all races. But, more often than not, I've run into black people on the street who told me I need to go back to the suburbs... even though I've never lived in a suburb... It's mostly a downtown area thing / certainly not a neighborhood thing.

Being that everyone from Warrendale is a rich suburbanite! I grew up by Cody and have lived at Warren/Southfield for 20+ years. Not rich, but compared to the neighbors......

Quote Originally Posted by mattharding313 View Post
    But, more often than not, I've run into black people on the street who told me I need to go back to the suburbs... even though I've never lived in a suburb... It's mostly a downtown area thing / certainly not a neighborhood thing.
    With all due respect, Matt — but since you brought it up — maybe it's something in your attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    With all due respect, Matt — but since you brought it up — maybe it's something in your attitude?
    I dunno...back in 2006-2009 when I was jogging, walking, and biking regularly from Eastern Market to either downtown or Belle Isle [[and occasionally across town to Corktown), I often got heckled and chided by various folks. It was very common to hear, "you're not from here, are ya?!" "hey, officer" and "what the...?".

Perhaps it was my attitude, I always looked folks in the eye and said hello.

Cheers!

Actually I do understand the stigma comment. Recently was asked to fill out an area questionnaire. The options were black, Hispanic or non Hispanic????

Don't be mean to Matt. He is young and possibly did not know about the archive option. Lots of former forumers don't bother because of same old/same old stuff.

My eyes rolled slightly when the Dossin Mansion was located on Harbor Island. Its Grayhaven Island.