No one is going to like this answer.

I live in Detroit because it is the best of a bad situation. I live in East English Village. It's fine.

What I dislike the most about the region is the need to drive absolutely everywhere, and amenities are relatively few and far between. I'm a very active person as well and this region doesn't offer much in that way. There's plenty of strip malls if that's what you like, but a darth of nice parks and trails. The endless, flat sprawl is suffocating.

The blight of the city is really what bothers me the most about the city. Also very suffocating.

I've been trying to engineer a move for a couple years now with little success. Not to the suburbs, but out of Michissippi. I've finally landed a wildly good paying job that will give me the means to do so in a couple years. The missus is on board and we're ready to go.

I've lived in the suburbs. They're universally terrible. They are banal, uniquely devoid of character, and full of small-minded people. Don't believe me? The real estate prices in our "toniest" suburbs are on par with the ghetto houses in real US cities.

Detroit is the best option, presently, since that is where my job is. Looking to change all that. There are warmer, nicer places. I've seen them.