Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Thank you Dan Wesson, I try to learn something new each day. A quart is 32 oz, an IQ [[imperial quart) is 38.4, a GIQ [[giant imperial quart) is 40 ounces. According to the urban dictionary only old farts use that term. Welcome to the club old fart. Actually I don't like beer at all.

One day license to drink not hard to obtain, maybe Django can bring a martini couch down this spring, we'll pop for the drinks. Actually don't like martinis either. The thought amuses me though.
    The US gallon and quart was based on the traditional "beer gallon" while the British "Imperial" gallon and quart was based on the traditional "wine gallon".

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I finally had the energy and proximity to visit Belle Isle again this Fall-gray morning.

It was peaceful, nearly all of the usual suspects were there...those souls whom I pass nearly every weekday morning.

I had a quiet stroll around the point, past ol' ItsJeff's besplintering memorial...past the battered remnants of another for Dean Osgood. Did some yoga by the new bridge on the way to freak beach. Another wonderful start of a day in strolling prayer and fresh-air meditation.

On the way out...far up the street by the ol' Police Station...four police cars flashed their new LED-obnoxiousness in a form of gauntlet. All but one of the lanes were blocked by these four, along with two others. One stopped in its tracks in the middle of the street.

I approached the only open lane cautiously, and was ready at any time to be approached...but saw a young woman being led to one of the cars. The trunk of her car had been rifled through, apparently requiring at least six uniformed witnesses. One of 'em had to glare at me while I drove through.

Innocent until proven guilty...sure thing. Tit for tat.

Sure would like to know the full story of this parade...it was an ugly way to end the perfect start of a day. I believe the city should license and copyright and trademark the name Belle Isle, but only allow the state to use it when they deserve it.

For the rest of the time, they should be forced to return to calling it Hog Island. Although some reliable old maps just call it Pig.

Fishin' for a title here worthy of yo Irish roots, man.

"Breathe In: Breathe Out." or "A walk in the Park."

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The US gallon and quart was based on the traditional "beer gallon" while the British "Imperial" gallon and quart was based on the traditional "wine gallon".

I'll take whatever you have left of these old measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Thank you, two new things today. I am not being remotely snarky.

Meant to go to Belle Isle today but got detoured by boring errands. CVS, Walgreens, Staples, Eastern Market and Parkway Food. Oh wait, I forgot, us Detroiters live in a food and retail desert. Now that is meant as snarky.

For Gannon and others, I tried to follow up on "Its Jeff. No answers yet. I won't drop the ball however. Maybe DNR does't like shirty Detroiters. Another term I had never heard before but just such a great word. I really do learn a great deal from informed forumers.

Happy to hear everyone is now miraculously friendly on the island. Never had a bad moment on the island but guess I must have been terribly obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'll take whatever you have left of these old measures.
    Totally off thread but deepest sympathy on the attacks against your fellow country citizens.

You make it to Detroit I'll drag up a few bottles from the wine cellar. I know you love old homes and those bottles are probably a year old at best. Had to stock with something. It is amusing to have a wine cellar though.

A fellow forumer dropped by after a trip around the island. Upon existing the island saw 4 men face down in the dirt with an apprehension by state police. Maybe they had GIQ's in a bag or maybe just driving while black.

Totally off thread but deepest sympathy on the attacks against your fellow country citizens.

You make it to Detroit I'll drag up a few bottles from the wine cellar. I know you love old homes and those bottles are probably a year old at best. Had to stock with something. It is amusing to have a wine cellar though.

Thank you for your concern, I was pretty sad at all the senseless killings too. The fact that these acts were perpetrated by radicalized Canadians is a scary outcome to all these conflicts in the Middle East we are involved in.

My wine cellar usually consists of no more than 4 bottles and dont make it to my old basement but spend warm time in my kitchen cupboard.[[standing)

I will gladly share a couple of bottles with you when I visit Detroit, yourself and Lowell and Sue sometime in the future. Thank you kindly, again for your gracious hostessness!

I am intent on finding a book for you on Montreal history or architecture when I can get out from under my rock of renovations as an answer to your delightful book on Detroit history.

I am doing jobs for my neighbors in between rain and dry weather while trying to finish the façade of our old house.[[1875) I will send some pix when the project is wrapped up. Love K

A fellow forumer dropped by after a trip around the island. Upon existing the island saw 4 men face down in the dirt with an apprehension by state police. Maybe they had GIQ's in a bag or maybe just driving while black and in the bag.
    Fixed it for ya! j/k ;-)

Funny, isn't it, multiple posters here, including myself, visit Belle Isle 3-4 times a week, and never seem to see these things, and other posters see it every single time they visit the island. Makes one wonder, doesn't it. Four black men "face down in the dirt with an apprehension by State police". Indeed.

A fellow forumer dropped by after a trip around the island. Upon existing the island saw 4 men face down in the dirt with an apprehension by state police. Maybe they had GIQ's in a bag or maybe just driving while black.
    Or... perhaps they had outstanding felony warrants that showed up while the state police were doing their job. To have 4 guys all "face down in the dirt" there's a pretty good chance that one or more of them had warrants, were carrying something stronger that a "GIQ", or generally acted an ass.

If we had a date and time it shouldn't be too difficult to review those activity reports [[the MSP interaction with 4 men should stand out) that I've seen published here.

It seems that a "fellow forumer" [[or two) would prefer Belle Isle to be a "No Policing Zone", and any action taken by the MSP is automatically assumed to be of the worst possible type.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Funny, isn't it, multiple posters here, including myself, visit Belle Isle 3-4 times a week, and never seem to see these things, and other posters see it every single time they visit the island. Makes one wonder, doesn't it. Four black men "face down in the dirt with an apprehension by State police". Indeed.

Who sees it every single time they visit the island?

I haven't heard from anyone like that, in all of the dialogue about this over-policing issue.

I mention it every time I see it. Big difference.

I'm on Belle Isle at least four times per week, usually double that. I've been a "regular" there for a decade now.

This thread began because the excessive show of police force ruined an otherwise beautiful trip to the island.

Every time that happens, I'll be sure to post it.

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    It seems that a "fellow forumer" [[or two) would prefer Belle Isle to be a "No Policing Zone", and any action taken by the MSP is automatically assumed to be of the worst possible type.
    Giving tickets for speeding is one thing. Bad enough they hide well off the road, which shows they don't really care about deterring speeding, only ticketing.

Searching trunks is another. Since there can be no further evidence of speeding gained by a search, the initial offense should not warrant one. I know this has been dealt with in the courts, but these searches suck the justice out of any police encounter.

As long as they continue to show this face to the public, all I'm asking is truth in titling. It is no longer Belle Isle, it is Hog or Pig Island once again.

Say and think what you like or want to believe. I have no issues with the state assuming the running and maintenance of the island. The fact remains that it is an urban park. A neighbor stated it was like neutral territory, not a no mans land. The state police seem afraid of the very people who use/enjoy the park frequently.

Funny isn't it that so many folks claim to visit the island frequently but can't say I have ever seen them at Friends of Belle Isle, Friends of the Detroit River or Detroit Garden Center meetings.

Policing is one thing, harassment another.
    Last edited by sumas; October-26-14 at 07:04 AM.

Gannon, people are lining up to assist "Its Jeff" with labor, talent, time and money. Just waiting to get all the rules and regs still.

Without video or a complete report no one has any idea what happened. To get face down nowadays you need to threaten an officer, show a gun, or be a real asshole. With cameras everywhere they don't mess around. And no, they are not afraid of citizens in the park as another states. Should they be???

. I have ridden my Harley through there many times, never been stopped but I don't speed. With a full helmet you can't see me either. Never a problem. And I've seen them look the other way when people backed up a quarter mile or stopped in the road to "chat".

I wish they'd come sit on my street. A few asshole drivers need to be taught a lesson. Maybe a $260 ticket would straighten them out. Ticket away.

I have tremendous respect for our state and local police officials. Being involved in community I have private phone"s for most.

I do beg to differ however in that people get stopped only if they do wrong. I've witnessed slap downs in my neighborhood of black men who fit a description, who have done nothing.

We had a young man live with us briefly while getting his life together. No one lives here on our charity without a police check. Whistle clean. He got his GED, a drivers license, is now going to WC3, has his own place now and works in GPC. He got a slap down until he could prove he wasn't their man. Shook him up something terrible. That happened on our street. Must say I never saw a black man look so white. Just to be shirty he recently got robbed in GPC leaving work by young white thugs, so go figure.

I go to Belle 2-3 time a week in the summer. My anecdotal experience is that I have seen only one pullover during those occasions. The main difference is that the island attendance is down about 30-40%. I never saw a 'boom box row' assemble in its traditional strip east of the Coast Guard station, where carloads of youth would assemble, hang out and fill the air with the deep throb of their car sound systems bass speakers. It would seem that a lot of people are scared off but there is no way of measuring that factor.

Our concern at the handball courts was that our tradition of enjoying an adult beverage after a few pounding games would be disrupted but we were never disturbed. Mind you, the courts are about 100 feet from the road and we have always been assiduous about picking up and not advertising matters.

As far as improvements go, I would have to say that they are minimal so far and a lot of minor things are malfunctioning. For instance the new rest rooms on the down river point were a bit funky and the drinking fountain outside did not work. I'm still giving them a year, then I ask, "Are we significantly better off than we were a year ago?"

Willi Guest

We are absolutely better off because a couple hundred misdemeanor/felony arrests were made and those folks are no longer on the streets committing crimes against the nice folk.
    Good riddance, bye, bye, enjoy the metal bars. Keep the Park Visitors safe and secure, thanks.

Fox2Detroit is covering a Michigan State Police whistleblower who seems to be confirming some of our worst suspicions.

More as it develops, cannot wait to see how the MSP responds to this one.

This report is damning of the entire institution, and confirms the poor behavior witnessed on the island by the Michigan State Troopers against the citizens of Detroit on what used to be Belle Isle park.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...09458270-story

He says it starts at the top, with commanders getting bonus pay for their post's performance, then troopers getting overtime for court appearances or jail runs and a floating quota system used for state troopers' performance evaluations.

"Stop one guy get five tickets, bonus," Tuer said. "Go to jail, got time on my run sheet, bonus. Daily makers versus stopping five individuals that are probably cutting people off, that type of thing. One of them makes a complaint against me? I have to worry because my post commander is mad at me because my numbers haven’t met the requirements."

Of course, the Blue Wall of Silence has already formed against these revelations.

No cheers on having to revisit this dark subject.

"If you write more tickets you're going to get more court time and you can raise your base salary and retirement from $56,000 to now you've brought it up to $80,000. And now you're going to fall into that 60 percent or 65 percent depending on what the contract's at for each individual.

"What am I doing? I've incentivized writing tickets."

I can see why even the good cops would exercise their free will to enjoy the fruits of these labors, too bad too many don't see how they become corrupt with the expectations of this bonus money. Any cop upset about this fellow's testimony is part of the problem. Sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2