Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Your special,but you do not count in the big picture of tourism.
I disagree and I think a lot of it is generational/cultural. Ignoring this large segment of tourism is silly. Unfortunately, people are led to believe that tourism is based upon the family of 4 going to Disney, there are a lot of different types of tourists. I'm not as much of an anomaly as you would thing.

The adverage person has after working all year has one week for vacation,and it is your job as a host to make that week a affordable ,memorable and safe experience that makes them want to return or at the very least recommend you to a friend.
I think is a typical middle American view but not entirely accurate.

If it takes grabbing them by the hand then that's what you do,seems to work well for Disney.
Disney caters to one segment of the population and tourism dollars. It's not wrong but it is not for a lot of people. We can't replicate Disney and we shouldn't go after the same tourism dollars

The concept of telling a potential tourist that because they would prefer an organized tour they can fuck off is probably not such a good public relations campaign.
Nowhere did I say that. I support having options for various segments of tourists. The problem is that people on this thread seem to think their idea of tourism applies to everyone. It sure as hell doesn't. If you want to bring up organized tours look no further than Preservation Detroit tours. Those tours are something this region should be proud of and I believe [[Gistok could confirm) that these do bring in tourists from many parts around the world. The options are there but it seems people are taking the 'We aren't Disney' defeated route which is rather pitiful.