Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    One comment on these short series [[as compared to a 162 game series):

The difference between success and failure in a short series can be one or two good/bad breaks.

Yesterday, the out call at 1st was the difference between a 1 - 0 vs. 0 - 0 game and the O's HR was what, first row, first seat at the foul pole.

Sometimes when we are talking inches, we are talk luck and mother luck can be cruel at times.

Luck didn't lose this series, the bullpen did. They should have at least came home 1-1, and possibly up 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    While not his fault, his availability to work games is starting to come into question due to the concussability [[new word) he carries.

Frankly, I think he'll need to give up the sport to preserve his long-term health. The shots off his mask are knocking him silly and out of the game with alarming regularity.

How is one supposed to track and hit a 90mph fastball if the brain is still mis-firing at the neurological level?

His full-time catcher status days are over. He MAY platoon with McCann next year.
    If he isn't going to ask for the moon [[he probably will) Russell Martin would be a good fit. He's a FA this year. Avila's done. Too many hits to the noggin. He should seriously consider retirement.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-06-14 at 12:25 PM.

I don't feel as bad today as I did yesterday after seeing that KC swept the Angels who had the best record in baseball.

Regarding Avila, he will never be gone as long as his dad works in the front office.

Regarding the team as a whole, despite the poor bullpen, this was the Tigers' last best chance to win big. They will lose too many quality players due to free agency. I see 3rd place for them next year with KC & Cleveland beating them out.

The Tigers starting rotation for 2015, even without Scherzer, is still the best in the division by quite a lot. They need to make a big effort to resign VMart to something like a 3 year deal, because there is nobody else available who hits nearly as well. He led the league in OBP and had a career high in home runs. He was a far better hitter than even Cabrera this year and arguably the best hitter in the entire AL. The bullpen needs a housecleaning. It's just a matter of who they can pick up and how much money is available.

Regarding Avila, he will never be gone as long as his dad works in the front office.

I didn't say gone, I said DONE as far as catching anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Iglesias can't hit his weight. Need a SS that can rake and glove.
    Maybe he needs to add 20 lbs. [insert the 'pump you up' Aaron Rodgers commercial. Lol.]

One thing no one has mentioned yet: We need Miggy to be 100%.

So goes Miggy so goes the Tigers.

With the same faces [[assuming Scherzer is back, which I doubt), the Tigers would be MUCH improved with a healthy Miggy, Dirks, Iglesias [[defensively), possibly bull pen help from Rondon.

IF we brought the same 2014 players [[plus the 3 injured - Dirks, Iglesias, and Rondon) this team could win 94 or 95 games.

Some how the entire bull pen can't be as bad as this year. There are pitchers there who have to be better then they showed in 2014. 2014 isn't destiny. I count on a couple having better 2015s.

And I think our manager will be a little better too.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The Tigers starting rotation for 2015, even without Scherzer, is still the best in the division by quite a lot. They need to make a big effort to resign VMart to something like a 3 year deal, because there is nobody else available who hits nearly as well. He led the league in OBP and had a career high in home runs. He was a far better hitter than even Cabrera this year and arguably the best hitter in the entire AL. The bullpen needs a housecleaning. It's just a matter of who they can pick up and how much money is available.
    You have to be careful signing older players to 3 or 4 year deals. While V Mart had a career year,
    who's to say the next 3 years will be comparable. He's 37 years old. He should however continue to hit well, because he's primarily a DH. As far as the bullpen and bench goes, they need to find younger arms and quality players off the bench. They were so thin, they had Perez who's basically a minor league player, come in to pitch hit late in the game, when a quality veteran would have been a better choice.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-06-14 at 01:20 PM.

One comment on these short series [[as compared to a 162 game series):

The difference between success and failure in a short series can be one or two good/bad breaks.

Yesterday, the out call at 1st was the difference between a 1 - 0 vs. 0 - 0 game and the O's HR was what, first row, first seat at the foul pole.

Sometimes when we are talking inches, we are talk luck and mother luck can be cruel at times.

Remember the ALCS game vs. Boston [[at Fenway) when Big Poppy hit that ball which just barely [[6"?) went over our rightfielder. If that ball is caught, the Tigers probably go to the World Series.

That play killed the Tigers.
    Of all the words of tongue or pen,
    These are the saddest, "It might have been."

Iglesias can't hit his weight. Need a SS that can rake and glove.
    Iggy's weight is listed at 185. His career batting average is 274 so he hits well above his weight. The ceiling to his career batting average may really be in the 250-260 range. For someone with his fielding skills at THAT position...it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

But I get it. You don't like [[or don't remember) Jose Iglesias.

SS's who can rake AND field like wizards are pretty rare...so if you're waiting for one of those, it may be a while.

Iglesias is a game-changer in the field, with range, soft hands, instincts, and a rifle arm.

His batting issue is his pitch selection. The kid is a free swinger who can't/won't walk and strikes out too often. It's a real weakness and something for him to work on.

He is a freakishly gifted fielder though. World-class and the Tigers missed him.

But there really isn't another position for him to play, is there? He doesn't hit nearly enough to play 1B and isn't an outfield candidate either.

The front-office connection wont hamper the tigers from making a baseball decision regarding their catcher...but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Of all the words of tongue or pen,
    These are the saddest, "It might have been."
    I have this about base-a-ball:

When it comes to the post season, there is so much parity that luck and just plain randomness prevail.

IF Angels and K.C. played 7 such 5 game series, I think L.A. would win 5 [[of 7) series.

Folks who have studied the post season have indicated that it becomes a crap shoot in post season. There is no truly dominant team which is expected to win and even 'pitching, pitching, pitching' doesn't seem to explain it either.

I believe that the Dodgers, Angels and Nationals were big favorites in Vegas to win the opening round. The Tigers were a solid [[-150 was the line) to beat Baltimore.

So MAYBE by tonight, three favorites could be gone.

BTW, think of it this way: try to pick [[last week Wednesday) the WS winner between Baltimore [[96 wins), LAA [[98), Washington [[96) and Dodgers [[94).

Is Baltimore better than Washington [[96 wins each)?

Is an AL East win worth more than say a NL West win? Or the other way around? or do we really know?

Aren't they ALL presumably pretty equal? Are Washington's 96 Ws much better then the Dodgers 94?
    Last edited by emu steve; October-06-14 at 01:55 PM.

VMart was great this year, but I bet a three-year deal would be a bad move. He's old and has a history of injuries. Tigers need to get younger and with more versatile players. KC isn't going anywhere.

And Max, you have to give him credit. He had supreme confidence in his abilities, and proved it this year. So many people called him foolish for turning down the generous offer from the Tigers. He will be handsomely rewarded this off season.

I know. I wasn't directly responding to you, just making an overall statement about Avila. IMHO, as long as his dad is there, he is there. They will do what it takes to keep him playing. That's the game plan. I truly think if he dad wasn't in the front office, was a scout on the road, Avila wouldn't be here. He's not that great of a player. Someone posted that his OBP is in the top 10 for catchers. That makes no difference as he gets on base at non-critical times, not in run producing situations. I don't understand how he's constantly getting hit by foul balls too. I've watched baseball for nearly 40 years since I was a little kid. I've NEVER seen a catcher get hit as much as him. I don't understand if it's his positioning, if he can't get out of the way as much or as fast, or what it is. I agree with you, from a health standpoint, he is done. But he won't concede that. He's only 27 years old. As far as he's concerned, he's young enough to heal & bounce back from anything regardless of what the rest of think. If I was 27 again, I would think the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I know. I wasn't directly responding to you, just making an overall statement about Avila. IMHO, as long as his dad is there, he is there. They will do what it takes to keep him playing. That's the game plan. I truly think if he dad wasn't in the front office, was a scout on the road, Avila wouldn't be here. He's not that great of a player. Someone posted that his OBP is in the top 10 for catchers. That makes no difference as he gets on base at non-critical times, not in run producing situations. I don't understand how he's constantly getting hit by foul balls too. I've watched baseball for nearly 40 years since I was a little kid. I've NEVER seen a catcher get hit as much as him. I don't understand if it's his positioning, if he can't get out of the way as much or as fast, or what it is. I agree with you, from a health standpoint, he is done. But he won't concede that. He's only 27 years old. As far as he's concerned, he's young enough to heal & bounce back from anything regardless of what the rest of think. If I was 27 again, I would think the same way.
    To piggyback on what I'm saying...Take Joe Mauer, the Twins catcher. He has endured too many concussions to the point, the Twins moved him to 1st base. Avila doesn't have the liberty unfortunately of being moved to another position like 1st base at this time.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-06-14 at 03:26 PM.

So Price takes Scherzers spot, Tori Hunter retires, Avila [[ as much as I can't stand his bat ) retires, the bullpen needs 2 new arms - this team has some serious issues. Starting staff is still impressive though.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    So Price takes Scherzers spot, Tori Hunter retires, Avila [[ as much as I can't stand his bat ) retires, the bullpen needs 2 new arms - this team has some serious issues. Starting staff is still impressive though.
    I'll predict:

Scherzer gone - with Price being the new #1.

V-Mart signs for 1 + 1.

Hunter comes back for ONE more year. [[Martinez, Davis, Hunter, Dirks and Kelly, if need be.).

Tigers go for best available catcher. Yes, Alex, retire for your health.

Rondon + one new face in the bull pen.

I'll predict:

Scherzer gone - with Price being the new #1.

V-Mart signs for 1 + 1.

Hunter comes back for ONE more year. [[Martinez, Davis, Hunter, Dirks and Kelly, if need be.).

Tigers go for best available catcher. Yes, Alex, retire for your health.

Rondon + one new face in the bull pen.
    There is no chance they go forward with Davis as the everyday centerfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    There is no chance they go forward with Davis as the everyday centerfielder.
    If so, then trading Jackson + Smyly for Price was a bad trade.

The loss of Jackson would have been too much.

It was a gamble hoping Price would pitch great and knowing he would be around with Scherzer gone next year. Dombrowski knows full well Davis is a below avg. centerfielder. He takes poor routes, makes careless errors and has brain cramps both in the field and on the bases. He is only suited to the 9th spot in the order also. Trust me, they will find another centerfielder. What will really decide the trade will be if Smyly's turnaround in Tampa was real and if Price signs an extension.

I think the Tigers built their bullpen too close to Ford Field and the curse from the Lions just carried over.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I think the Tigers built their bullpen too close to Ford Field and the curse from the Lions just carried over.
    Now that's a interesting observation.

Maybe it is too early to bid good bye to Max, V-Mart, and Torii.

"The only thing I know is I love being in this clubhouse and I hope I will be back." Scherzer.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...loss/16787117/

A really hot team in baseball will have a winning percentage of .670 to .700 over the course of a season while playing all of the teams in the league including the very worst. Simulate a five game series a hundred times between a team at .680 and a team at .600 and see the results. As noted, a single iteration is a crap shoot.

Maybe it is too early to bid good bye to Max, V-Mart, and Torii.

"The only thing I know is I love being in this clubhouse and I hope I will be back." Scherzer.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...loss/16787117/
    That's window dressing from Scherzer, he's gone. We might have a chance with V-Mart, and Torii is leaning towards retirement.

That's window dressing from Scherzer, he's gone. We might have a chance with V-Mart, and Torii is leaning towards retirement.
    Doesn't Soria have a big contract?

Can't the Tigers decline the option and use much of those dollars to go toward V-Mart and maybe some for Scherzer.

IF Torii does retire that is another big chunk of dollars which would be available for for Scherzer and V-Mart.

I realize that Ilitch needs to pony up a lot of bucks for Scherzer and V-Mart - say another 20M / season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast