Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Dog Attack On Eastside

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ah yes, the joys of living in the urban prairies...

Someone keeps 13 pit bulls in a house and no one says anything about it. smh

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Someone keeps 13 pit bulls in a house and no one says anything about it. smh
    Quite an assumption that nobody said anything about it. Your premise is that if there are calls/complaints that the appropriate action would be taken by the department in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Quite an assumption that nobody said anything about it. Your premise is that if there are calls/complaints that the appropriate action would be taken by the department in charge.
    Either scenario is possible. And to both scenarios...smh.

Either scenario is possible. And to both scenarios...smh.

Correct. The big difference is that your first assumption is to blame people that are vicitms of a broken system instead of having the slightest bit of sympathy for them.

It's the same scenario when people complain that citizens won't work closely with the DPD without any understanding of [[1) the fact that repercussion is a very real threat and [[2) DPD is not there to protect the people that work with them.

But blame away if it makes you feel better.

Correct. The big difference is that your first assumption is to blame people that are vicitms of a broken system instead of having the slightest bit of sympathy for them.

It's the same scenario when people complain that citizens won't work closely with the DPD without any understanding of [[1) the fact that repercussion is a very real threat and [[2) DPD is not there to protect the people that work with them.

But blame away if it makes you feel better.
    Assumptions are in no particular order. A person has been seriously hurt [[another just recently died from an attack). He is the one I have sympathy for.

The liberal spin on here is getting fucking old. No one wants anyone held responsible for anything anymore. Bullshit.

Awful. I saw a large pack of wild dogs crossing Jefferson and heading West along the train tracks near Conner a few days ago.

My frustration comes in when people assume all you have to do is make an effort or call the correct department and things will just be taken care of. The reality of 'personal responsibility' is very different when you have a functioning city that supplies reasonable services.

Unfortunately, people like GPwrangler appear to think that getting things done in Detroit and the level of effort are the same as those in GP.

My frustration comes in when people assume all you have to do is make an effort or call the correct department and things will just be taken care of. The reality of 'personal responsibility' is very different when you have a functioning city that supplies reasonable services.

Unfortunately, people like GPwrangler appear to think that getting things done in Detroit and the level of effort are the same as those in GP.
    I've put considerable effort into fixing things where I've lived. I've been places where it was difficult to get changes made but I never quit or became "beaten down". Attacking me will not fix detroit but have at it. Later.

I've put considerable effort into fixing things where I've lived. I've been places where it was difficult to get changes made but I never quit or became "beaten down". Attacking me will not fix detroit but have at it. Later.
    Was this considerable effort done in an environment like Detroit? Comparing the considerable effort one would have to exhaust in GP vs. a place like Detroit is laughable, put perhaps you can enlighten us as to other difficult locations/situations you've encountered that could possibly compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Was this considerable effort done in an environment like Detroit? Comparing the considerable effort one would have to exhaust in GP vs. a place like Detroit is laughable, put perhaps you can enlighten us as to other difficult locations/situations you've encountered that could possibly compare.
    It wasn't in GP. And no, I won't try to "enlighten you".

I'm not necessarily attaching you, I am attacking your belief that personal responsibility will just fix everything. There are a lot of systematic issues that prevent citizens from getting things done: Citizens can't arrest people [[and please don't bring up citizens arrest), citizens can't climb poles and change lights, citizens don't have the means to fix potholes, etc.

I can try all day and call and complain and escalate, etc but there are simply some things I, as a citizen, can't address in the immediate term.

I can certainly cut my grass, pick up litter, maintain my home, etc as those are in my control.

I'm not necessarily attaching you, I am attacking your belief that personal responsibility will just fix everything. There are a lot of systematic issues that prevent citizens from getting things done: Citizens can't arrest people [[and please don't bring up citizens arrest), citizens can't climb poles and change lights, citizens don't have the means to fix potholes, etc.

I can try all day and call and complain and escalate, etc but there are simply some things I, as a citizen, can't address in the immediate term.

I can certainly cut my grass, pick up litter, maintain my home, etc as those are in my control.
    you can form a tough neighborhood association and I'm not talking about tea parties. Yes you can change light bulbs. You can knock on doors as a group and hold neighbors accountable. You can get people to turn on their goddamned porch lights [[drives me nuts when people with porch lights won't turn them on but there's a 750 watt big screen going in the living room). You can even solve the stray dog problem. You have more control than you think. Yes, personal accountability is possible. Trust me, I've done it. System issues? Maybe but folks use that as an excuse way too much.

I grew up in a tough place. Don't give me the Grosse Pointe "you're rich and I'm a victim" story because I worked my ass off and still do, to get here and live here, and I'm far from well off. Lived in bad neighborhoods too, but a few tough neighbors and I took it on.

Don't give up.

Thirteen Pitbulls?

That's one hellava security system.

Not enough info on all the players yet to be making assumptions and bashing each other.

Dogs are a pain in the ass, trophy's, property, assets, warm and fuzzies while being dangerous at the same time.

It's the owners, a human problem.

I found it interesting in the story I read about this. The police tried to entice the dogs away first. They had to shoot, and killed one of the dogs, then were able to get the other dogs in the house. No one was home. The dogs will be picked up and quarantined, and the dead dog was taken for testing. The final word was a cautious not that they do not know why the injured man was in the yard. It was obviously leaning back from final judgment on who or what was to blame.

Still, it seems to me that big potentially dangerous dogs in large numbers are a bad fit in any home, regardless of the intentions of the victim. Dogs don't have any way of knowing when deadly force is justified, and when to call it off on their own when the problem is defused.

Yep, I agree... As I said I'm surprised the police did not shoot more of them on sight. And the most well maintained dog can turn violently territorial when their space is invaded. And dog 'hoarding' goes beyond personal protection reasons for having a dog to alert you of an intruder.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Still, it seems to me that big potentially dangerous dogs in large numbers are a bad fit in any home, regardless of the intentions of the victim. Dogs don't have any way of knowing when deadly force is justified, and when to call it off on their own when the problem is defused.

... or he's breeding them to sell for cash.

I absolutely hear what people are saying about neighbors fearing retaliation, and about [[still?) city non-response. Anyone know whether the city has any specific ordinances against keeping that many dogs?

This may well sound laughable, but if I was sure they were Pitts I'd probably contact one of the local bully-breeds rescue/defender groups and ask their help. I know they have quite the array of volunteer staff, even a lawyer if I correctly recall, and they're very, very good at PR. I'm sure they wouldn't think 13 dogs at that address was beneficial to the well-being of those dogs!

Bingo! The breeding hustle is part of the scene. I've talk to people involved in animal rescues reporting that some of these 'owners' get angry at the idea of spaying and neutering their dogs. They refuse!

From the news broadcast of this incident the one brown, brindle striped pit shown being removed is clearly a breeding female with loose teets hanging. Obvious of a recent litter -- who knows where the poor puppies are.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    ... or he's breeding them to sell for cash.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-14 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Bingo! The breeding hustle is part of the scene. I've talk to people involved in animal rescues reporting that some of these 'owners' get angry at the idea of spaying and neutering their dogs. They refuse!

From the news broadcast of this incident the one brown, brindle striped pit shown being removed is clearly a breeding female with loose teets hanging. Obvious of a recent litter -- who knows where the poor puppies are.
    I read that there were four puppies taken from the house. Hopefully they will be spared the fate of their extended family, which will probably be euthanasia. People, like this owner, really piss me off. I hope he gets a long stay in jail and the ASPCA goes after him as well for good measure. The thought of what that victims life is going to be like now is absolutely horrific--not just losing his hands and feet, but having to live with the memory of nearly being eaten alive by a pack of dogs. People suck.

^^^Now, that's a good idea. Probably too late for these dogs though, they were to be picked up for quarantine, which will probably not end well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    ^^^Now, that's a good idea. Probably too late for these dogs though, they were to be picked up for quarantine, which will probably not end well for them.
    Ending up worse for the guy with his hands and feet chewed off.

Throw the book at the pet owner. horrible. No safety. Various trendy "protection/attack" dogs are overbred, its made a mess of various urban neighborhoods. More often than not, they end up attacking or killing family/neighbors/passers-by before they attack/kill any theoretical burglar or human aggressor.

I just read all the dogs involved will be put down. Its reported that the dogs escaped from a side door of a house and were looking emaciated.

Im surprised they only shot one dog. I have an acquaintance who had a small marijuana grow operation on the East side that was raided. The cops shot all his dogs and I knew those dogs, they were not aggressive.

Im just feeling terrible for the guy who now has no hands or feet. What a horribly painful thing to go through.

I love a bar that allowes decent dogs in. I always brought my Farnsworth to the Old Miami. He just laid on the floor greeting patrons as they came in. I will always be more likely to patron a bar that allows our canine friends in.

Love the Temple bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I just read all the dogs involved will be put down. Its reported that the dogs escaped from a side door of a house and were looking emaciated.

Im surprised they only shot one dog. I have an acquaintance who had a small marijuana grow operation on the East side that was raided. The cops shot all his dogs and I knew those dogs, they were not aggressive.

Im just feeling terrible for the guy who now has no hands or feet. What a horribly painful thing to go through.

I love a bar that allowes decent dogs in. I always brought my Farnsworth to the Old Miami. He just laid on the floor greeting patrons as they came in. I will always be more likely to patron a bar that allows our canine friends in.

Love the Temple bar.
    Wow where do they let dogs in? I'd prefer a dog friendly bar any day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast