Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Never forget the leverage of the hammer. The state oversight board is not a rubber stamp. And if city council starts to veer too far off the reservation, the state will end that real quick by not approving the budget.

I think we are worlds away from 2008 where they couldn't get the Cobo deal passed....they just ok'd the DWSD deal by a 5-2 vote. So let's keep them on a short leash, but let's give them credit where it is due.
    Well said.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I'll be honest Motz, not a whole lot. This group up to this point is decidedly better than the last group, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
    We're both on the same page here, I think. I just feel more optimistic because it's like taking a bunch of failing students and getting them to at least get C's. I'm still weary of them, still waiting for the big blow up that always seems to happen in Detroit politics [[maybe Mary Sheffield will start pointing shotguns at her bae??), but more optimistic than 5 years ago. I mean honestly, if you had told 2006 me that we'd have gone bankrupt, elected a [[white) mayor who won a write in campaign, passed council by districts, had a council elected that wasn't a bunch of complete screw ups [[they are just moderate, functional screw ups now ), were starting a CURBSIDE recycling program, etc... I would've called you a complete idiot. No doubt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2