Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Doesn't it seem that work has stopped on the construction of this new medical building? There is no construction equipment at the site, and it has been flooded for a while now.

I've been wondering the same thing, as it has been 2-3 months since anyone has been around the site. Was the plan canceled or revised?

I AM BUMPING THIS THREAD. I know a poster out there has knowledge of whatever has stalled the WSU Medical Office Building construction. The site has been deserted for weeks, maybe even months.

Other construction projects in the area have been delayed as well. Labour shortage?

Default Professional Plaza

What is the word on this building? When do renovations start... it is looking pretty ugly

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ht=Hammer+Nail

You might want to start using the search function in DYES....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ht=Hammer+Nail

You might want to start using the search function in DYES....
    Strange I've never been able to find it.

BUMP. What is happening [[or not) here?

heard recently that the land these buildings are on was recently purchased by another group... renovations are going to continue as planned with WSU physician group leasing the building from the new owners.

I heard to expect construction to fire back up sometime this month... lets keep our fingers crossed

I would guess that this might have something to do with the lack of progress:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...structuring-to

But perhaps not, considering they'll be leasing the space regardless?

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post

Yep. Looks like you nailed it:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...onstruction-on

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post

I'm surprised the school would be in that much trouble given that it's supposed to be one of the better ones in the country.
    Last edited by MSUguy; December-05-15 at 12:36 PM.

@MSUguy It is a very good medical school. Most rankings are determined by total research funding $ the school gets, which doesn't correlate with how good of a doctor graduate students are. Wayne offers one of the best, if not the best, clinical training opportunities for students here in Detroit. From what I've heard, they see/train on all kinds of good stuff here in Detroit...

The budgeting issue is more of a top of the line problem with the Wayne Physician Group, not the medical school specifically. However, the money could be considered to come from the same pool for the physician group and medical school, and they are affiliated. The staff, or whoever is managing the budget, needs to make some smart decisions that involve the groups business relations with the nearby hospitals, and getting more out of research funding. The new biomedical research building that was just completed on Woodward should be a big change. Hopefully this gets figured out soon so this new building can get built.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    I'm surprised the school would be in that much trouble given that it's supposed to be one of the better ones in the country.
    The former Dean and her administration were criminally incompetent and basically lined their pockets with money while letting the school go downhill. Things are on the upswing now and will be much better in the long run but they really dug a big hole.

Now they got a blighted mess just like the failed Wayne City Jail Project. Let Dan Gilbert or Mike Illitch take this project for now on.

This is from today. Looks like a scaffold is going up on the hammer and nail, and this project is going to fire back up soon... although still no signs of life for the WSU PG building next door [[you can see half of the foundation poured).

I was getting my bacon fix today at Whole Foods and on the way to Harper I noticed more trucks on scene. No heavy equipment yet, but there were far more individuals on the work-site than I've seen in months and months.

I thought that the Professional Plaza Tower at 3800 Woodward was recently listed on
    the National Register of Historic Places. Of course, that does not prevent it from
    being razed.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I thought that the Professional Plaza Tower at 3800 Woodward was recently listed on
    the National Register of Historic Places. Of course, that does not prevent it from
    being razed.
    If true, the NRHP has no value. I believe in saving the truly unique and historic few. Professional Plaza has no business being designated a "historic" edifice. It is neither an architecturally nor a historically important building. Trying to label tons of buildings as "historic" makes the designation worthless and actually hurts preservation efforts for the worthy ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    If true, the NRHP has no value. I believe in saving the truly unique and historic few. Professional Plaza has no business being designated a "historic" edifice. It is neither an architecturally nor a historically important building. Trying to label tons of buildings as "historic" makes the designation worthless and actually hurts preservation efforts for the worthy ones.
    Not sure if Professional Plaza has been formally approved by the National Park Service for listing on the National Register yet. I think that the state has approved a nomination for listing though.

The building has not been nominated for its architectural significance. Rather, its history as an example of an important contributing structure to a nationally significant mid-20th century "urban renewal" project, i.e. the Detroit Medical Center, forms the basis for its nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post

This is from today. Looks like a scaffold is going up on the hammer and nail, and this project is going to fire back up soon... although still no signs of life for the WSU PG building next door [[you can see half of the foundation poured).
    It is nice to see workers back on the job on this one, hopefully the shutdown is over and completion of the project is on the horizon.

Groundbreaking set for $22 million Midtown apartment conversion

Former 'Hammer and Nail' building being redeveloped into 72 units, 2,000 square feet of retail space

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ent-conversion

That rendering is so 1985 it would make Ronald Reagan blush.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    That rendering is so 1985 it would make Ronald Reagan blush.

That signage though...

Holy crap lol. Don Johnson's place?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast