Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Animated Visualization of the M1-Rail

Here is an M1 Rail puff piece that I found of particular interest for its animated visualization. It is an upbeat and flashy peek into the future.

Spotted via Alan Lengel on DeadlineDetroit

Nice, saw a similar video about a month ago, but this one is much better.

The integration is very well done.

It is boring and a waste of everyone's time for the same people to post the same comments expressing their same opinions every time a new piece of information comes out. We all know, and have known for a very long time, that: [[a) some of us like M1 Rail and think it's wonderful, and [[b) some of us don't like M1 Rail and think it's a waste of time and effort. Since we already know all of that, please don't post unless you have something new to add to the conversation. Repeating this same pointless debate for the fortieth or fiftieth time [[and I'm probably underestimating) is inane.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    It is boring and a waste of everyone's time for the same people to post the same comments expressing their same opinions every time a new piece of information comes out. We all know, and have known for a very long time, that: [[a) some of us like M1 Rail and think it's wonderful, and [[b) some of us don't like M1 Rail and think it's a waste of time and effort. Since we already know all of that, please don't post unless you have something new to add to the conversation. Repeating this same pointless debate for the fortieth or fiftieth time [[and I'm probably underestimating) is inane.
    Cool vid, but have to agree with the above. Every time the subject comes up same people same points. Next!

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Cool vid, but have to agree with the above. Every time the subject comes up same people same points. Next!
    I second that. What's the definition of insanity? Saying/doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I liked the vid too. Looking forward to parking in one spot and visiting many.

Quote Originally Posted by loveDetroit View Post
    I second that. What's the definition of insanity? Saying/doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I liked the vid too. Looking forward to parking in one spot and visiting many.
    Me too. I'm sure I'll use it often. I love this project, I don't have a free parking spot downtown anymore so it'll save me tons of time in finding parking and getting out of the CBD after a major event or a visit. I'm glad it's going in at great taxpayer expense, inconvenience, business disruption, and with private funding assistance. I'm glad my upper middle class entertainment, dining and general convenience needs are clearly the primary focus of this project. fuck those poors that desperately need real functioning regional transit to eek out an existence...they can wait on the bus. Whether or not it actually shows up really isn't my concern. They can just deal.

Professor Scott,
    I guess nobody read your post. We'll all just have to wait and see who's going to be able to say, "I told you so!"

Cool parking shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Cool parking shuttle.
    Except for those who live along the corridor, use the crosstown, or Amtrak.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Except for those who live along the corridor, use the crosstown, or Amtrak.
    Um, it's still a parking shuttle. It's nice that they're building a parking shuttle, but let's not kid ourselves that it's the framework for a future rapid-transit system.

As the old joke goes, if you say a cat's tail is really another leg, how many legs does a cat have?

Four. A cat has four legs. No matter what you call the tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Um, it's still a parking shuttle. It's nice that they're building a parking shuttle, but let's not kid ourselves that it's the framework for a future rapid-transit system.

As the old joke goes, if you say a cat's tail is really another leg, how many legs does a cat have?

Four. A cat has four legs. No matter what you call the tail.
    No you're wrong. You're completely wrong. You're so wrong, it's not even goddamned funny anymore. I get it, it's 3.3 Miles. Compared to most, it's nothing. But in a metro area FULL of SyGoldens, Hermods, Bhams, and Frank Rizzos, THIS IS AMAZING. This is better than the People Mover in almost every way. It's modern, it's tested and proven to work, IT ACTUALLY GOES SOMEWHERE; through the heart of Detroit between three booming neighborhoods. Oh, it doesn't go right to your doorstep at Romeo Plank and BFE Mile Rd? I'm sorry, maybe you should talk to your parents or grandparents why they moved out of the city. Oh it doesn't go to your house at Grand River and Evergreen or Gratiot and 7 Mile or Michigan and Livernois? Ok, then wait to see the popularity of this line and demand expansion.

This isn't a parking shuttle. A parking shuttle is usually a type of bus. This is a modern streetcar.

Modern streetcar meet Detroit, Detroit meet the modern streetcar. I think you two will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No you're wrong. You're completely wrong. You're so wrong, it's not even goddamned funny anymore. I get it, it's 3.3 Miles. Compared to most, it's nothing. But in a metro area FULL of SyGoldens, Hermods, Bhams, and Frank Rizzos, THIS IS AMAZING. This is better than the People Mover in almost every way. It's modern, it's tested and proven to work, IT ACTUALLY GOES SOMEWHERE; through the heart of Detroit between three booming neighborhoods. Oh, it doesn't go right to your doorstep at Romeo Plank and BFE Mile Rd? I'm sorry, maybe you should talk to your parents or grandparents why they moved out of the city. Oh it doesn't go to your house at Grand River and Evergreen or Gratiot and 7 Mile or Michigan and Livernois? Ok, then wait to see the popularity of this line and demand expansion.

This isn't a parking shuttle. A parking shuttle is usually a type of bus. This is a modern streetcar.

Modern streetcar meet Detroit, Detroit meet the modern streetcar. I think you two will be just fine.
    Pfft. The fact that you're so worked up about this suggests you really know the truth. What are we to do? Argue that this line is the backbone of a future rapid-transit system just because the region is so anti-transit? Nonsense. Because the region is so anti-transit, we are getting a parking shuttle that is not the backbone of a future rapid-transit system.

The rest of your entertaining response is beside the point.

That this is not a rapid transit system is obvious. The stops are spaced too closely. It uses curbside stops. Decent parking shuttle, meet Detroit. Detroit, meet decent parking shuttle. It is what it is.

Nice try junior. Neither my parents, grandparents or great grandparents left Detroit. Nobody in my family has ever lived in that city. Obsessive detroitists like you need to understand that Detroit is not the center of the universe and quit trying to marginalize the opinions of those who don't live in your "urban" paradise. You cannot see the forest for the trees. Take off your graffiti covered rose colored glasses and take a good hard look at the reality south of Eight Mile Road from your suburban Royal Oak home.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-22-14 at 07:34 PM.

If only this were a modern streetcar.

This is a bus, only worse. Woodward Corridor residents will have worse transit once they cut the bus routes and replace it with this.

The only people riding this will be a few white hipsters afraid to ride the buses [[which run at higher frequencies than their planned replacements) and a few white suburbanites coming down for events, and using it as a parking shuttle.

The people already making the Woodward corridor [[easily the most successful transit corridor in Michigan) are all screwed, and will have to transfer from trolley to bus, rather than maintaining their current one-seat ride down Woodward.
    Last edited by Bham1982; September-23-14 at 10:55 AM.

The M1 Hispter Hauler a.k.a People Mover Part II. A $140M choo-choo to nowhere.

Oh Jesus, not this again...

DetroitNerd, you don't like it, stay away

You may have a point Dnerd about it being a shuttle in that it may be an appropriate definition for Detroit. It may have been conceived in the back seat of a Cadillac by Penske, Gilbert et al as a substitute for a real transit baby through downtown and the corridor. It may be that Detroit can't connect with the idea of mass transit anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You may have a point Dnerd about it being a shuttle in that it may be an appropriate definition for Detroit. It may have been conceived in the back seat of a Cadillac by Penske, Gilbert et al as a substitute for a real transit baby through downtown and the corridor. It may be that Detroit can't connect with the idea of mass transit anymore.
    A full-bore [[boar? boer?) transit system costs BILLIONS. No system starts as the BMT or the EL. Similarly sized and placed rails have been very successful in a number of cities. this one happens to connect two of the fastest growing areas in the state

Very cool. Thanks, Lowell.

I'm definitely not sorry for my passion for transit and transit issues. Not sorry that it rubs off as a "hissy fit" or "emotional", that's what happens when you have a passion, you get emotional when ignorance is spouted about it.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; September-22-14 at 08:55 PM.

I'm definitely not sorry my passion for transit and transit issues. Not sorry that it rubs off as a "hissy fit" or "emotional", that's what happens when you have a passion, you get emotional when ignorance is spouted about it.

Shalom, young man. Look me up ten years from now. We'll meet over lunch at the club and talk. My treat. I am done with you for tonight. You and I will not come to an agreement. Good night son.

And, there is no need to congratulate me on being Jewish. I was born that way. But thanks for the snarky comment.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-22-14 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Shalom, young man. Look me up ten years from now. We'll meet over lunch at the club and talk. My treat. I am done with you for tonight. You and I will not come to an agreement. Good night son.
    I look forward to it but don't patronize me, that's not very mature. Maybe we can take the tram to get there? Good night!

I look forward to it but don't patronize me, that's not very mature. Maybe we can take the tram to get there? Good night!
    Dtowncitylover, dont worry about hacks like Sy and Nerd. They could be building a much more comprehensive light-rail system and these two would tell you all those trains are going to nowhere. People like this are the reason things will have to start out small and largely private.

Hopefully they are going to be proven wrong on this one.

Some people take the "surrounding communities" inclusion on this website too far. I believe 95% of forum members come here for Detroit stories and could care less about the suburbs and their tired anti-Detroit banter.. Spare us on how great Oakland Co is, its not why 95% of the people read this forum.

Sy, get a life old man. Please don't come around the city with your attitude, I don't want to see a story about you getting your just reward for copping an attitude with someone or running your crusty old mouth at someone with real problems .
    Last edited by Dbest; September-23-14 at 07:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast