Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I guess my biggest question at the moment is why there's been a holdup on firing Stan Kwan? Please, please, please tell me that he's not going to be back as special teams coach again next year.
    I know it was GM rhetoric but I'm hoping hope above all hopes that Daunte Culpepper will NOT return as well. When I heard that Mayhew press conference where he kept the door slightly ajar for his return all I could say was "Nooooooooo!" Beyond Stan Kwan & Shawn Jefferson [[how much did he really help the wide receivers?), please please please OH please do not have Daunte coming back to this team. He didn't win here and his attitude [[or is it fantasy) of wanting to be a starter in this league just will NOT wash with this team.

But my guess to Kwan's showing of the door will happen soon enough. It just might happen after the Senior Bowl but I'd be willing to bet a crisp dollar bill that he's gonna be marched soon, but I do appreciate the apprehension of "the longer he sticks around, the likelihood of him staying" increases dramatically.

Phew. Breathe easier.

Stan Kwan has been released.
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...ator-Stan-Kwan

It was at least amicable and he still praises the team.

Watchin' Sanchez today. Looks like we picked the wrong QB again. We picked the Harrington clone. Damn!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Watchin' Sanchez today. Looks like we picked the wrong QB again. We picked the Harrington clone. Damn!!!!
    Let's compare the player to player:

Sanchez:
    63.0 QB rating
    196 completed passes
    364 attempts
    53.8 percentage
    2444 yards
    12/20 TD/ INT

Stafford:
    61.0 QB rating
    201 completed passes
    377 attempts
    53.3 percentage
    2267 yards
    13/20 TD/ INT

Sanchez played five more games than Stafford to get to his numbers too.

I'm inclined to say that Stafford would've done just as well [[if not better) as Sanchez given the team around them. Blame the sad sack Lions and their lack of talent around Stafford but let's not pin the blame on solely Stafford's abilities. Talent wise I'd still take Stafford over Sanchez. Yes, the Jets TEAM made it to the AFC Finals but let's not forget that there was also a point earlier in the season when the Jets faithful were about to chase Sanchez out of town after a resounding 5 interception game and an 8.3 QB rating.

Sanchez has extreme accuracy and touch. Stafford throws inaccurate speedballs. Next season, will expose him.

Nothing against Sanchez, I would still take Stafford. He is not even close to being a Harrington.
    About a month ago the Jets were a little down on Sanchez, things turn in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Sanchez has extreme accuracy and touch. Stafford throws inaccurate speedballs. Next season, will expose him.
    Sanchez' 53.8% completion percentage refutes this. He was also the lowest ranked starting QB in the league with 13+ starts. Given some of the talent around him [[Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery at WR and Thomas Jones, the third best RB in the NFL eating up over 1400 yards), he should've performed much better. As it was in yesterday's game he was only throwing a 56.7% completion percentage.

While he might have a game here or there where he peaks, I'm with kenp and I'd be willing to take Stafford over Sanchez any day.

With past lions history, my chances of being correct are great.

I think Stafford has more upside. With the team Sanchez has around him, all he needs to do is manage the game, not make mistakes and come through on the few times his team asks him to make a play. In Stafford case he has to continuously make plays in order for his team to win.

Stafford right now is a gun-slinger who just thinks he can make any throw at any time because he has a cannon arm. Get a team around him like what Sanchez has and I think you will get the best of both worlds, a QB who can manage the game and a QB who can make plays at any point in the game because he has the arm to do so.

It's not worth debating really. We will know sure enough next season, if we got another Harrington. It will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I think Stafford has more upside. With the team Sanchez has around him, all he needs to do is manage the game, not make mistakes and come through on the few times his team asks him to make a play. In Stafford case he has to continuously make plays in order for his team to win.

Stafford right now is a gun-slinger who just thinks he can make any throw at any time because he has a cannon arm. Get a team around him like what Sanchez has and I think you will get the best of both worlds, a QB who can manage the game and a QB who can make plays at any point in the game because he has the arm to do so.
    Great analysis of the Sanchez situation. I had also heard that they simplified the plays for him to "manage" the game better. I think the point I made earlier about having the likes of a Thomas Jones in the backfield has to keep the defenders at bay a little bit. Knowing that the Jets have a guy who averages a healthy 4.2 yards per rush has got to help keeping the other teams front four from bull rushing in. While Jones might not be a total all purpose back, he did have ten receptions with an impressive 7.1 YAC and only two fumbles all season long.

What fledgling QB wouldn't love to have that in the backfield?

Besides the Jets game plan on winning all year has been predicated on the ground game and a shut down defense led by Darrelle Revis.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12