Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

why not just ban all convicted criminals from running for office?
    Exactly correct. Anyone convicted of a felony should not be able to run for office or be eligible to hold office even by appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    MsChievous, if you're really going to play this game, why not just ban all convicted criminals from running for office? Do you really want to play this game?

It's ridiculous anyone thinks that this is a the problem, or even a big problem in government. I'd trust a convicted criminal that has served his or her time and looking to do something better in his or her community to do right by the city than a well-meaning incompetent.

Neither are probably optimal cases, but I'm making the point that convicted felons who've served their time are hardly city governments pressing problem if a problem, at all. I've been impressed with you, thus far, but if this kind of discrimination is something you want to lead a crusade against and identify as a big problem or a problem, at all, I seriously question your vision. I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise, to me, though given your former line of work. You all, after all, have always seen those that have served their time as something less than equal citizens.

Hopefully, playing on people's fears, whipping up unnecessary hysteria, and darker emotions for votes won't pay off, for you.
    1. MIR, I'm not 'playing on people's fears', I'm really just trying to get folks to think about what they really want in their city charter. The final decision belongs to the voters and one way to find out what they/you want is to ask. Don't I have a responsibility to give them all the information available? Don't you think Detroiters should do their homework and decide what they want in their elected officials?

2. Actually, it does look as though criminality is a problem in Detroit government.

3. My previous career does not necessarily mean that I view everyone who is convicted of a crime as less than equal citizens.

"2. Actually, it does look as though criminality is a problem in Detroit government. "

There have been and probably are criminals on the loose in Detroit government. The problem is that most of them weren't felons at the time they were committing their crimes. This rule wouldn't have kept MonCon or Kwame from getting elected when they did. I agree that someone convicted of a felony during their term of office needs to be removed. There's no reason that it took the Governor of the State to remove the Mayor after he was convicted of perjury and found to have cost the city millions of dollars. Even if the felony is unrelated to your office, there's a certain standard for holding office that needs to apply and a felony conviction for any reason violates that standard.

Beyond that, if voters make the choice to elect a known felon to office, I'm not sure that should be prevented, although anyone convicted of a violation of the public trust or abuse of their office should never be allowed to hold office again. This debate reminds me of the argument for term limits, which stated that voters had to be stopped from voting in people that were going to fleece them. At a certain point, voters have to be held accountable for their actions and who they elect to office.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Beyond that, if voters make the choice to elect a known felon to office, I'm not sure that should be prevented, although anyone convicted of a violation of the public trust or abuse of their office should never be allowed to hold office again.
    Bingo. I can definitely agree with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2