Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I wonder where Hamtramck found the $$$ for the black police Humvee it was showing off last night? I guess the current EM figures she can cut firefighters and police [[again) but spring for that "show of weakness", not to mention the derision and comments that were made every time it drove by. I'm sure the minority /majority population there is pleased by the sight of such a military style vehicle...as if it reminds them of home or something......

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I wonder where Hamtramck found the $$$ for the black police Humvee it was showing off last night? I guess the current EM figures she can cut firefighters and police [[again) but spring for that "show of weakness", not to mention the derision and comments that were made every time it drove by. I'm sure the minority /majority population there is pleased by the sight of such a military style vehicle...as if it reminds them of home or something......
    Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    So what the fuck exactly would Hamtramck need a black humvee for?

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Hopefully they will not need it.

I think it excessive and antagonistic. You're only going to generate resentment and fear looking like you're going to war with your citizens.

However, I ask this: what is a bigger problem in this country: the police wearing Ghostbuster gear or urban violent crime? For me as a Detroit resident, that is an extremely easy-to-answer question.

It shocks me that African Americans gun down each other en masse every day but when a white officer is the perpetrator THAT is when the outrage begins? Priorities, people. .

I think is largely just a question of racial hatred, on both sides. The cops don't like black folk and black folk don't like white cops [[or white people, in many cases).

Count me in the middle someplace. Less Ghostbuster gear for the local boys, and direct your outrage against all violence, not just when it comes from somebody who doesn't look like you.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think it excessive and antagonistic. You're only going to generate resentment and fear looking like you're going to war with your citizens.

However, I ask this: what is a bigger problem in this country: the police wearing Ghostbuster gear or urban violent crime? For me as a Detroit resident, that is an extremely easy-to-answer question.

It shocks me that African Americans gun down each other en masse every day but when a white officer is the perpetrator THAT is when the outrage begins? Priorities, people. .

I think is largely just a question of racial hatred, on both sides. The cops don't like black folk and black folk don't like white cops [[or white people, in many cases).

Count me in the middle someplace. Less Ghostbuster gear for the local boys, and direct your outrage against all violence, not just when it comes from somebody who doesn't look like you.
    Spot on pooeybear.... as a Hamtramck resident... I share your feelings on which risk is more real. [[And btw, I have been the receipient of over-aggressive frisking by DPD for no reason whatsoever except being in the wrong place.)

I write though to discuss your other point. Racial hatred. Do you really think racial hatred is a majority opinion among policy and blacks? I sure don't. Does it exist? Of course. Do we work to eliminate? Absolutely? But do we assume that every cop is racist? No. Does every black person dislike every white cop? No. But a few bad eggs sure do stink.

The question is, what do they intend to use it for that can't be done without it?
    Last edited by 313WX; September-01-14 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The question is, what do they intend to use it for that can't be done without it?
    Um...maybe a riot?

Um...maybe a riot?
    The police handled riots just fine in the past without nearly as much militarization.

And if in the rare instance the riots reached Detroit 1967-levels, then the actual military was called in...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The police handled riots just fine in the past without nearly as much militarization.

And if in the rare instance the riots reached Detroit 1967-levels, then the actual military was called in...
    Just fine? Half the city burned.

One thing I'll always vote yes on is police and fire equipment. Whatever they want, as much as they want.

Um...maybe a riot?
    The appearance of that stuff is a large reason why things escalated in Ferguson. Had they kept if off the streets, there would have been some demonstrations and people would have gone home without incident. Just like what has happened in the last couple of weeks since the tanks were withdrawn. Demonstrations and protests are continuing without incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The appearance of that stuff is a large reason why things escalated in Ferguson. Had they kept if off the streets, there would have been some demonstrations and people would have gone home without incident. Just like what has happened in the last couple of weeks since the tanks were withdrawn. Demonstrations and protests are continuing without incident.
    Somehow I doubt this.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I agree that they should have done things with a lot more respect, but I think the looters would have found another reason why they were 'oppressed'.

Blaming the police for looting is just plain naive. Do we think MLK would have looted?

Looting is proof the the problems in Ferguson were on BOTH sides. I don't blame either side more than the others. But I don't forgive the looters because of imperfect and aggressive policing.

Come visit Campau around 1am on Saturday night and see for yourself.

They use it appropriately. I remember seeing it at the festival, and it helped reinforce the police's position as keeper of the peace.

What the f--- exactly makes you a good arbiter of police practices and needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Come visit Campau around 1am on Saturday night and see for yourself.

They use it appropriately. I remember seeing it at the festival, and it helped reinforce the police's position as keeper of the peace.

What the f--- exactly makes you a good arbiter of police practices and needs?
    I've lived on Joseph Campau, and there has never been a need for a Humvee on that street, at any time time of day or night. It is one of the few streets in Hamtown that you could drive that monstrosity down without destroying all of the other vehicles.

So wearing a gun and badge does not reinforce the police's position as keeper of the peace?

I guess I'd be more interested in who opposes this, and why.
    Some of us are regular law abiding citizens, and the why is we think that police should be out in the communities as people that are part of the communities. Meeting kids in school when their young, knowing some of the good guys on the beat as well as the bad. Slow rolls with 2 in the car then park it in the middle of the block and get out and walk back and forth on the same block and attempt to meet the people who live there, repeat. Heavily armed guys that want the best toys to fight wars should go do just that, lord knows we have no shortage of people who want to kill us overseas, there are great job opportunities if that is your thing. You have to be careful, boys and their toys can and will get out of hand especially when someone else pays the bill. Not saying there isn't a need for a swat team just keep it under control and for use when needed. If a new recruit doesn't have any interest in comunity police work and is looking for a military type job I would show him the door to the US army.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    They have two of them. They got them for $1 each, according to the Hamtramck police chief.