Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    You must have stopped at E66th Street then, and noticed all the empty fields across the street from Gallucci's market. Because, you know, magic bus = development.

The Cleveland Clinic has been expanding for decades. Cleveland State University was expanding before the bus project obtained funding. The residential population on the downtown stretch of Euclid was expanding when the Euclid Corridor was still on the drawing board as a light rail line. So it's completely disingenuous and dishonest to claim that the HealthLine resulted in a single nickel of economic development.
    I'd say that's not entirely true. I don't think you see the Midtown Tech Park at that spot. They mention the Healthline at their site. There are plenty of vacant industrial properties in the city, but developers applied for tax credits to renovate the Victory Building. This is the second group to show interest. The presence of the HL has to have had at least some influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Justice View Post
    I'd say that's not entirely true. I don't think you see the Midtown Tech Park at that spot. They mention the Healthline at their site. There are plenty of vacant industrial properties in the city, but developers applied for tax credits to renovate the Victory Building. This is the second group to show interest. The presence of the HL has to have had at least some influence.
    Well, GCRTA has been claiming upwards of $4 billion of redevelopment due to the HealthLine. Now, recall this service opened in 2008. GCRTA was claiming that dollar figure *as soon as the service began*. What did they include in that number? A whole host of projects that were 1) publicly funded, 2) going to happen regardless or 3) both.

http://blog.cleveland.com/ent_impact...10cgEUCLID.pdf

Note that $1.6 billion of the "redevelopment" was strictly due to the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. Another $258 million for the Museum of Art expansion, $200 million for the new county headquarters [[Ameritrust) project, and $275 million at Cleveland State University. It seems they just took every dollar of development happening within several blocks of Euclid Avenue, and blamed it on the BRT service. Do you see RTA blaming the West Side Market upgrades--or development in Ohio City--on the W25th Rapid station? No.

Now if I start seeing some of those open fields adjacent to the stations in Midtown being replaced with new apartment buildings, my opinion could change. But that's not what's happening.

Living right next to the Metroway [[Arlington/Alexandria) has provided me front row access to its development and implementation. Already, people along the route, and in my neighborhood are calling it the "useless loop" and the "bus to nowhere." I guess time will tell if this idea works because the plan is to have something like 3,500 daily riders within 3 years. Even with that said, a lot of people refuse to ride the metro buses, regardless if they are snazzy and new with all the bells and whistles.

The area in Arlington/Alexandria between Crystal City and the northern tip of Old Town is going to see a lot of change in the next 6 or 7 years. Pulte is making progress on their monstrous [[and cheaply built) Potomac Yard project that starts in the 600s. There is also a pretty good rumor that the Potomac Yards shopping center will be razed and rebuilt to accommodate a similar Pulte-like complex built on top of shopping and retail, much like what is seen in Pentagon City.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Living right next to the Metroway [[Arlington/Alexandria) has provided me front row access to its development and implementation. Already, people along the route, and in my neighborhood are calling it the "useless loop" and the "bus to nowhere." I guess time will tell if this idea works because the plan is to have something like 3,500 daily riders within 3 years. Even with that said, a lot of people refuse to ride the metro buses, regardless if they are snazzy and new with all the bells and whistles.

The area in Arlington/Alexandria between Crystal City and the northern tip of Old Town is going to see a lot of change in the next 6 or 7 years. Pulte is making progress on their monstrous [[and cheaply built) Potomac Yard project that starts in the 600s. There is also a pretty good rumor that the Potomac Yards shopping center will be razed and rebuilt to accommodate a similar Pulte-like complex built on top of shopping and retail, much like what is seen in Pentagon City.

Back in the late 1990s, my agent at Arlington Realty told me that the shopping center would last about 30 year to be fully depreciated wherein, at that time, it would be replaced by mixed use residential community. An example of what they intend is the community that has rose up around Slaters Lane.