The entrance off of Fenkell to Eliza Howell Park has barracades, preventing car traffic from entering. Don't know if pedestrians can go in there. Personally, I've always felt that this park is an unsafe park because there's only one entrance in and out and the park is surrounded by trees on three sides [[the fourth side is fenced off but faces the back of the businesses on the eastside of Telegraph). If something was to happen to you, very few, if any, people would be around to help you or see what's going on to call for help. Also, I've heard that prostitutes along Fenkell take their Johns there to do business. Not unsafe, but not something I would want my loved ones to see.

A few years back the city was trying to sell park land to developers, especially parcels in Rouge Park. The residents near these parks opposed this action, especially residents near Rouge Park. However, regarding Eliza Howell Park, this might be the right park to sell to a developer at the right time, given the budget deficit here in Detroit. This park would be ideal for some new houses, while maintaining some of the park area, particularly some of the baseball fields and tennis courts. A gated community might attract more folks to the development, especially given the concerns related to the Brightmoor area, which this park is in. It's an idea whose time might just be right for this moment in Detroit's history.

BTW, if anybody knows the specific reason as to why this park closed, I would appreciated it.