Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you Ray! Thank you Shorpy!

In this shot from 1910, also taken from Old City Hall, you can see a lovely couple lounging on the Cadillac Chair in Cadillac Square [[to the left, in the median):
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/5045?size=_original

For more on the Caddy Chair: www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/chair

Default Loc

OK, now where on earth on the Library of Congress Web site are you guys finding such great images? Every one I find looks like dog ass. I'm searching in the Detroit Publishing Co. archives, but they're all blurry and grainy. Like photos of photos instead of scans.

Excerpted from the Shorpy picture: Is this a traffic cop holding a rotating stop sign to prevent the streetcars from colliding?

- Ross in Ottawa

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    OK, now where on earth on the Library of Congress Web site are you guys finding such great images? Every one I find looks like dog ass. I'm searching in the Detroit Publishing Co. archives, but they're all blurry and grainy. Like photos of photos instead of scans.
    Look for the archival TIFF files. Those are huge. It's also worth noting that not every image is as great as those mentioned. It seems as if not every image recieved the high quality JPG treatment. Some are scanned from the source photo, others are scanned from intermediary roll film. You'll see that on the top of the page under Source:

You'll notice that on the pages that have high quality JPG files there's 2 files on the secondary page. One is the JPG, other is the archival TIFF. These are the ones that are quality, like this one of the Whitney.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...m856sf=4a20066:@@@

Once you find one of quality, then you'll have to use a photoshop or similar program to lighten and increase contrast. The JPG images aren't as detailed. Here's another gem from the Woodward shot, appropriate to the health care debate:

Attachment 2550

This one is off the side of the Hudson's building.
    Last edited by Stosh; July-30-09 at 01:45 PM.

Unfortunate slogan for Altes Lager on the rooftop sign. Did anybody use that slogan when ordering back in the day ?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Unfortunate slogan for Altes Lager on the rooftop sign. Did anybody use that slogan when ordering back in the day ?
    Probably not. "Hey bartender, gimme another cock of the walk!"

I think he'd be thrown out on his behind. Or, maybe not, depending on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Look for the archival TIFF files. Those are huge. It's also worth noting that not every image is as great as those mentioned. It seems as if not every image recieved the high quality JPG treatment. Some are scanned from the source photo, others are scanned from intermediary roll film. You'll see that on the top of the page under Source:

You'll notice that on the pages that have high quality JPG files there's 2 files on the secondary page. One is the JPG, other is the archival TIFF. These are the ones that are quality, like this one of the Whitney.
    OK, but a vast majority of them are crappy resolution, right? I clicked on 50 or so links and only, like, two had higher res available.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    OK, but a vast majority of them are crappy resolution, right? I clicked on 50 or so links and only, like, two had higher res available.
    Yep. There are a few. Not many with the correct resolution. I found about 5 or 6 that have the correct resolution for high res images. Thewre are a few there with mid-range, but not many. And they are just as bad as the regular ones.

There's not many exterior shots of the city at the resolution.

Honestly, I'd love to see the Manning Collection give up a few images just for fun. At least some exterior shots. Imagine the resolution out of the 8 X 10 negatives.
    Last edited by Stosh; July-30-09 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 220hendrie1910 View Post
    Excerpted from the Shorpy picture: Is this a traffic cop holding a rotating stop sign to prevent the streetcars from colliding?

- Ross in Ottawa
    That's me in that picture. Had to bring my own umbrella to work, too, because the union hadn't brought that issue up just yet. And, no, the streetcars took care of themselves, my job was to direct the ladies with the long skirts to avoid the horse apples.

It was kind of a shit job back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Honestly, I'd love to see the Manning Collection give up a few images just for fun. At least some exterior shots. Imagine the resolution out of the 8 X 10 negatives.
    Stop it. You're turning me on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    That's me in that picture. Had to bring my own umbrella to work, too, because the union hadn't brought that issue up just yet. And, no, the streetcars took care of themselves, my job was to direct the ladies with the long skirts to avoid the horse apples.

It was kind of a shit job back then.
    Gee Ray, we knew you've been around a looooooong time....

....maybe we should call you RayMCMXXXVI.

I got to run & catch the Michigan Depot bound car!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2