Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default The "BIG 3" vacant buildings...

I was reading the Whitney thread and got to thinking-"What are the most iconic/endangered buildings not downtown left for rebirth?"- Which is most feasible?

Here's the three candidates I came up with..

Lee Plaza

Stripped of pretty much everything inside and out - including the copper roof - this place would seem to be quite the undertaking with location playing a factor. The sad story of this place breaks my heart. It's a beautiful building regardless and had it been built downtown it would probably be on its way back or already restored in my opinion.

Packard Plant

This place seems to be somewhat of a hell-hole[[torn up), that being said the campus is breathtaking and could be a once in a lifetime development. Location is also a factor for this project. The owner claims to be dedicated when speaking about it the media but does he really have the money or connections to get a project of this size off the ground? This project isn't as much about restoration as it is about renovation.

Michigan Central
    The most iconic of the bunch. The size is massive[[not Packard massive) and it would take time and much money to restore it like any of these buildings. It's location seems to be on the upswing in this case. Unfortunately the owner seems reluctant to do much to repair damage he helped create. This building is in the best shape of the group though...

The narrative is similar in all 3 cases, their big, their empty, their not all their, their not directly downtown, and their going to need a ton of money to restore/renovate.

In your opinion which will be the first domino to fall? Do you foresee any of these projects being completed 5-10 years from now?
    Last edited by Dbest; August-08-14 at 08:49 AM.