Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rvtwitty View Post
    LaForge still around? They had 2 places as I remember. One on Telegraph and one on Fort in Riverview. I wish I had a nickel for every beer I had at the Mel Bar in Melvindale after a baseball game. Family member was on a bunch of leagues and we would go cheer him on.
    If you mean Forge that was on Fort near Williamsburg in Riverview, it was torn down and a credit union is there now.

In downtown Allen Park on Allen Road, south of Southfield, I remember going just once to a place called the Red Fawn. But I don't remember if was a restaurant or a nightclub.

The red fawn is still there. It's a restaurant and banquet hall.

There was a restaurant on Allen Rd. & Southfield that we would frequent after going to the dances at the Kof C on Champaign and my friend got trench mouth - we never went back. I think that was in the 60's though.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Anybody remember BBF? My brother worked at Borden Burger Foods in the early 70's when I was a kid. I just remember him bringing home a bucket of BBF chicken that rocked.
    Borden Burger was great, its a dollar store now. Another great place was New York Sub. Not a chain, it was at the corner of Allen/Ecorse, served Cincinnatti style chili.

I would have thought Plymouthres would have chimed in by now. Definitely remember Peppinas. Used to go there Friday nights after MHS basketball games in the mid '70's. Anyone remember the China Boy in downtown AP? Used to have some pretty good Chinese food there [[who would have guessed?). Also remember TastyCreme donuts as being about the best in the city. Finally, in grade school [[Quandt), it was coolk to leave at lunch time and go to Mike and Sylvia's sub shop.

Dimitri's was located between the Pelham/Allen Road split.

I remember dates at Peppinas with carhops! Am I showing my age?

I didn't date the carhops Iwent on dates to Peppinas where carhops were employed.

NDavies: Thanks for the location of the Harbor House. I remember it now!

Hey Fred et al-

How about going waaay back? Does anyone remember Bona Fiesta? If you do,where was it?

How about Long Toms [[although a bar, they had pretty good burgers!).

Kosh's Deli? The Triangle? Sveden House? A & W on Allen? Tasty-Freeze? Marino's Bakery [[not a resturant but argueably the BEST pepperoni roll downriver!)

Parkland Inn? [[I owe you a beer if you know where this was!) Carters [[technically in D.H. but walkable even when we were 8 years old!)?

How bout that little resturant in the parking lot of the ACO,in the NE corner of the parking lot?

Perhaps had a great prime rib at Momma Mia's?

Last but not least, my favorite place, Simons!

I worked at Zukins and had a great friend whose mother ran Peppinnas in the heyday. Although both in L.P., I always considered them in A.P. as they employed quite a few of us.

Hope this stirs up a few memories!

[quote=PlymouthRes;50426]

How about Long Toms [[although a bar, they had pretty good burgers!). This place is still open-Good burgers? I'll have to try it.

The Triangle? Hasn't been the Triangle in several years, has had a variety of owners & names this century, currently called the Allen Park Coney Island.

How bout that little resturant in the parking lot of the ACO,in the NE corner of the parking lot? Currently a coney island who's roof fell in on half the restaurant back in the spring. Looked like they were out of commission less than a week. Up & running now.
    Last edited by jackie5275; July-31-09 at 09:13 PM. Reason: distinguish btwn orig quotes & reply

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    The Harbor House was in Riverview on Sibley Rd.
    There was one on Dix north of Goddard in L.P. also.

ACO? You mean A&P!!

The Clock was the best place for breakfast at 2am after leaving Maury's, Brush and Palette, or Wheat & Rye [[prior to it becoming W&R)

littlebuddy Guest

The clock was a good place to eat late at night, not so good for streaking being behind the police station back then.

How about that little dive that served pasta, at the intersection of Allen, Ecorse and Roosevelt. I think it was the Speghetti Factory or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    ACO? You mean A&P!!

The Clock was the best place for breakfast at 2am after leaving Maury's, Brush and Palette, or Wheat & Rye [[prior to it becoming W&R)
    Ok, so what was it called before Wheat and Rye, I can't remember either. Looked for you at Forans last Sunday nite, had a great patty melt.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    The clock was a good place to eat late at night, not so good for streaking being behind the police station back then.
    Although it looked just like a Clock, it was actually called The Nugget.

Cork and Bottle!

And a fine little dive it was.

Harry Sisko worked the bar there before he went on to own his own joints.

And you're right about the Nugget name. I can't believe I forgot. I learned to love omelets at 2/3 a.m. there.
    Last edited by jams; August-01-09 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Cork and Bottle!

And a fine little dive it was.

Harry Sisko worked the bar there before he went on to own his own joints.

And you're right about the Nugget name. I can't believe I forgot. I learned to love omelets at 2/3 a.m. there.

It sure would be nice to have sisko's back

Hey Plymouthres, good to hear from you again. Moved to Canton from Indianapolis in Dec, after moving away some 22 or 23 years ago. Good to be back.

I've been to Long Toms for drinks, but not burgers. I'll have to try it some time. I do remember that Maury's [[now an Irish place, at least in name) had good food as well.

Default AP restaurants

Left Taylor in the mid 70s, remember in AP the Borden Burger? Do know the chain was based in Columbus, OH, and was called Burger Boy to start. Shortened to BBF, then when Borden dairy bought them out, Borden BBF, followed by Borden Burger. Do know a place called Dmitri's went in there, stopped in while visiting, pretty decent. [[Also know Dmitri's bought up one of the other two BB's in the Detroit area. on 12 mile, but not sure if that's Warren or Roseville.) The AP Borden Burger was the last to go--Aug or Sep '74. Nice menu for fast food joint--foot long coneys, fried chicken, in addition to the regular burger fare. Also from that era remember Red Barn's, and, near the "Intercourse" [Ecorse] Drive In was a pizza place/lounge...Pia's I believe. is that still there?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Ok, so what was it called before Wheat and Rye, I can't remember either.
    The Wheat & Rye in AP was formerly the Cork & Bottle Lounge. Before that it was the Town Club Bar.

Pia's is still there, though the pizzas not the same as the old days.

Ok...maybe I missed it but does anyone know what the restaurant in the front of the Thunderbowl parking lot was called? I heard it was only open a few short years. From 1980 to 1985 at the most. It closed down and never reopened, was never resold or leased or even tore down? I can't seem to find any info about it other than it's been for sale and they just reduced the price to a million dollars!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast