I may be trying to jump start a dead battery here, but I am not going to let the Detroit Techno scene [[and all of it's original contributions) be treated like everyone was going through some embarrassing "disco phase". I have quite a bit to say about seeing as I was a contributor during the last golden efforts of it. As stated in a previous thread, we never called them "raves"; that was something HighTimes would try to hype [[but like most things on the internet, as the original story gets retold, a lot of prevailing facts and issues get misrepresented with extreme prominence-in this case, how techno nostalgia is being written up in commercial hype by those who should know better).

Most of the venues mentioned deserve embellishment. The spot at the short-lived Bittersweet coffeeshop was called "Better Days" and usually carried music until early in the morning. Timbo's was a tad bit too shady for some folks, as it's club situation was riding piggy back to the original stripclub venue that hosted it. Mack & Beleville [[lovingly referred to by many as "Crack & Hellville", as it was a corruptly-run scene with frequent police busts-some encouraged by the promoters who wanted to wrap it up and take the money and go). Under the Bridge was always off the chain. The Firehouse was nestled in the Milwaukee Baltimore area; it had good functions, but some rapes were reported there. The Butcherhouse was a short-lived [[now razed) situation at Joseph Campeau and Hunt-strange spot: it was decreed "haunted" by many as it was a former slaughterhouse, a hideout for the Purple Gang [[with a suspected coal chute for body dumping-in fact, the basement was very eerie and had undue amounts of uneven concrete added to the floor), and a place where a Panther shoot-out with cops occurred. Standby for more reports....