Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Update: Detroit Streetlighting

It appears the city has begun installing new underground lights along Gratiot. They've already put in the new bases between 8 mile and 6 mile on the west side of the street.

A couple of the lights along the Davison from 75 to the Lodge seem to be in working order again, which surprised me a couple weeks ago.
    Edit - Note the map that DetroitPlanner posted, the areas that one would describe as prospering are getting lighting updates in 2015, vs. 2014 for the parts of the city we often view as neglected. I gotta say, nice move on that!

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    A couple of the lights along the Davison from 75 to the Lodge seem to be in working order again, which surprised me a couple weeks ago.
    Edit - Note the map that DetroitPlanner posted, the areas that one would describe as prospering are getting lighting updates in 2015, vs. 2014 for the parts of the city we often view as neglected. I gotta say, nice move on that!

yea duggan actually mentioned they wanted to do that on purpose.. get the neighborhoods lit up and more stabilized to help stop the bleeding population.. living in midtown i gotta say majority of the street lights work anyways

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It appears the city has begun installing new underground lights along Gratiot. They've already put in the new bases between 8 mile and 6 mile on the west side of the street.
    I thought Duggan, in his Detroit Lighting address, said the City was going to forego underground wiring due to costs and effectiveness? It also appears they're running wire underground on Vernor, in the stretch between Central and Woodmere.

YAY Duggan!

Kwame Kilpatrick should have done that, but he was too busy pimping women!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    They need to worry about streets where No lights are working like hayes between 7 an 8 mile before dealing with Gratiot. I am surprised they are doing underground wiring on Gratiot seeing as how it has always been overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    yea duggan actually mentioned they wanted to do that on purpose.. get the neighborhoods lit up and more stabilized to help stop the bleeding population.. living in midtown i gotta say majority of the street lights work anyways
    Let's hope those new street lighting are tamper proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Let's hope those new street lighting are tamper proof.
    I heard they purchased a bulk lot of post-surgery dog head cones to protect them from being tampered with

7/22/14:

Just to provide another update, LED lamps have been installed along McNichols, 7 Mile and Chalmers [[they actually didn't remove any of the poles along Chalmers, despite my original fears given the sparse population density) in 48205.

Also, the lights along Gratiot aren't underground after all. While the base of the poles are buried underground, the contractors were hanging the wiring today. The lamps haven't been installed yet however. The wiring on the old poles and those old lamps have been taken down. Those are gradually being taken down as well.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-22-14 at 06:45 PM.

Passed by 48203 around 8 Mile and 75 the other day around 10 PM. Many streets still without lights at all.

Proof - we need to see some proof.....

Lights are now going in in Warrendale.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/77046350800/
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-22-14 at 09:51 PM.

There will be new street lighting being installed at Grand River Ave. from Evergreen Rd. to McNichols Rd.

More lights will be installed in pilot areas after residents complained that it was too dark. Blocks that are longer than 700 feet will have lights placed every 300 feet. Before, they were spacing them out every 800 feet.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-left-too-dark

https://twitter.com/MayorMikeDuggan/...57831049613312

this is a picture of Gratiot in the east side pilot area... looks pretty awesome.

Holy crap that looks great. Even the picture blinded me a bit. I talked to some people in Old Redford who just received some lights and they're pretty happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    https://twitter.com/MayorMikeDuggan/...57831049613312

this is a picture of Gratiot in the east side pilot area... looks pretty awesome.
    I hadn't seem them at night yet. They do look great.

They've completed the replacement of the poles on Gratiot from 8 Mile up to Filbert/Findlay at this point.

The transition to LED lights on all of the main/secondary streets except 8 Mile is complete in 48205. Now I'm just waiting for him to add the 2nd poles in the middle of the side streets [[as the other folks said, it's much darker now than it was before).