Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Newest Detroit Ruins

What do you think are the new Detroit Ruins? More importantly, what can be done to save them?

I'm going with the International Welcome Center on Bagley. That was a waste of $17,000,000.00.

I honestly never saw the purpose of the welcome center, at this point in time anyway.

Cass Tech has my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    Cass Tech has my vote.
    I second Eric_c. The old Cass Tech has been a grand and proud building where many of our most outstanding residents were educated. Now, due to mismanagement and neglect, it has become a hulking, shameful scar on the city's educational heritage.

Who was / is the construction company on the welcome center?

Its not the Welcome Center Component that suffers from bad mgt but the Mercado. Right now the market there stinks due to waiting for the bridge project to be completed. Have patience. Now the old police station in the next block, thats got my vote.

The welcome center is the victim of a construction company gone bad. This company has delayed and destroyed a number of projects downtown. The company came into town with a very good reputation only to fall completely apart. They are being sued by numerous entities including the group building the welcome center.

All of the articles I've read indicated that it was a result of extremely bad management. Which I can believe. One of the people involved with the project was at the Coast Guard public hearing speaking out against the Bridge. That's backwards thinking. If your business depends on Bridge Traffic, you want a better bridge. No wonder they folded quick.

I would have to say the latest victims to become the "newest detroit ruins" and the surprising number of schools that have been shutting down [[not just cass tech since that really didnt shut down). just the other day while taking the dogs for a walk we came across what im guessing was an elementary school with brand new playground equipment that was all closed up and full of trash and some really crappy tags, it looked like the place has been abandonded for years, but judging by the playground it couldnt have been all that long.

Gold Star for Brainwizard. There was about 1.5 Billion spent on the Schools and now more than half of them have been closed. That's a crying shame.