Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
ray.. i was just looking through findagrave and noticed my in-laws are on there. they were put on by two different people with names i don't recognize. is that really ok for someone we don't know to do so? i'm kinda pissed.
I have been a member of Find A Grave for over 7 years and have added over 6700 memorials and almost 5600 photos, in addition to submitting coordinates for several hundred cemeteries and "cleaning up" literally thousands of memorials to correct/add information.

The majority of my memorials are of those who have passed who have no relationship [[direct or otherwise) to me or even my husbands family.

My purpose for the work I do on the site is NOT just for my own personal search for ancestors. It is to hopefully allow that person looking for their long lost relative to find out where they were buried. It is to hopefully ensure that even if something happens to the headstones and markers in a cemetery today are not forgotten and lost as they have been in the past, but instead are documented and left for those in the future. It is as a memorial to those, of any race, from any country, buried in any place, to not be forgotten. I have hundreds of headstone photos I'm still trying to manipulate in order to get posted - many of these headstones are probably beyond the point where any photo manipulation will ever identify who they belonged to and I can assure you, a HUGE number of cemeteries have garbage records - surprisingly enough, even many of the "new" cemeteries, not just little old forgotten and long since gone church cemeteries. A person who mattered lies under those headstones. They had families who cared and didn't want them forgotten, but that as generations die out, that is exactly what has happened.

I'm not sure why you'd be pissed that someone cared enough to add a memorial for your in-laws. Several people I never knew before created memorials for family members of mine and I'm thankful for the work they all did, especially the ones on my mothers side of the family - since without finding the memorial, I'd have no idea where most were buried [[or for a few, even when they died). A site volunteer even got a picture of my aunt's grave marker in Ventura, California, which thrilled my mom who had never been able to visit her half-sisters gravesite. And because of the site, in January, I finally was able to put flowers on the grave of a friend who died from leukemia when we were 15. I'd been searching for where she was buried for years with no luck, until someone created her memorial, along a few thousand others in the same cemetery that had not been added.