Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Will the Ilitches offer it to someone to redevelop?

I assume they have no interest in residential real estate in their own right.

BTW, I do see the residential/retail buildings along the periphery bordering the south side of the arena. Will someone else develop [[manage) them?

The Henry block will be critical especially if it has a hotel at Woodward/Henry. I want to stay there for Tigers/Lions, etc. games.
    Haven't you posted extensively about the project, including the details you now ask about, in this exact thread? Odd question from someone who's read everything that's out there on this development.

I knew that the arena footprint would end at Sproat, but I am a little surprised at its width. I guess it makes some sense, though, given the buildings that will be built along Woodward.

Great to see that the Park Ave. Hotel at least continues its existence here…unclear as to whether it will be an ancillary development of Illitch or of someone else, via City coordination [[the City owns it, right?). Also unclear are their ultimate goals, but again, at least it's not instant demo. "You're telling me there's a chance!?"

Will Henry Street just end mid-block, without even flowing onto Park Ave? Not a fan of that.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    Haven't you posted extensively about the project, including the details you now ask about, in this exact thread? Odd question from someone who's read everything that's out there on this development.
    I certainly understand your point, BUT I doubt Ilitch will do the hotel at Woodward/Henry.

I consider that hotel 'planned' but until I hear which hotelier will build and run it, it does not have the certainty of what we see in today's Detnew's graphic.

I consider project which have probabilities of completion like arena [[near 100%) to things like housing west of Cass being probably unlikely despite the nice PR spin.

That hotel at Woodward/Henry is very, very important. It is a 'gateway' to the arena district and a gateway to the Hockeytown/Fox district.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Will Henry Street just end mid-block, without even flowing onto Park Ave? Not a fan of that.
    No it goes through. The pavement will just turn to brick and have decoration hanging above the street. Though chances are that it will mostly be closed and used during events.

I tend to think that Ilitch will let someone else own/develop the Park Ave. Hotel and the Eddystone Hotel across the street.

Since they are both on the National Register of Historic Places, by being there...any attempt to tear them down actually has many financial "dis-incentives"... such as loss of historic tax credits, the loss of government funds for tearing down and redeveloping the property, lost accelerated depreciation for new construction tax writeoffs...etc.

In truth...nothing prevents people from tearing down properties on the National Register... but it causes other issues that may give the Ilitch's and the city-county-state other unpleasantries....especially this being a private-public partnership....
    Last edited by Gistok; September-15-14 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I'm surprised how m
    BTW, I remember seeing graphics and I don't believe Ilitch or the city own all of the parcels bordering the east side of Clifford and also Cass.
    I think they own it. Using Why Don't We This, you notice that property within the arena foot is owned by several of the same entities Proactive Logistics, Eventide, Nexus. Doing an business entity search you also notice that these companies are registered to the same addresses in Bingham Farms or East Lansing. It's not a stretch to think these are front companies for Olympia.

https://whydontweownthis.com/sc/trac...3979/-83.05748

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp...LUTIONS,%20LLC

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp...PERTIES,%20LLC

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp...PERTIES,%20LLC

There are only four other property owners from the north side of Henry and Sproat two of them are Eventide and Proactive. The others are Temple Commons and Gateway Gardens both have the same address as the other companies.

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp...GARDENS,%20LLC

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp...COMMONS,%20LLC
    Last edited by MSUguy; September-15-14 at 08:27 PM.

The conclusion that they are all fronts for Olympia is somewhat weak. The strongest statement you can draw from the state's records on those companies while staying factually grounded is that they are all paying a third party to provide a layer of anonymity.

Name:  20140915182819_WEB-North-elevation.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  13.8 KB
    Name:  20140915183011_WEB-East-Elevation.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  16.9 KB
    Name:  20140915183044_WEB-South-Elevation.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  18.3 KB
    Name:  20140915183148_WEB-West-Elevation.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  15.7 KB

some more renderings from the detroit news... the side facing woodward definitely seems to be the nicest looking [[although an argument could be made for the south side)... which is a big plus

also in that article the detroit news seems pretty convinced the hotel eddy stone and park ave will be saved and redeveloped.. hoping they're right!!!
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; September-15-14 at 11:52 PM.

I don't think the other sides really need to be too flashy anyway. Remember that the stadium is pretty much bordered by two-lane streets on all sides except Woodward and especially if there's development across the street, then most parts aren't going to be seen from a distance. If the stadium were to look too flashy [[I admit it lacks a certain wow factor), then you'd have to sacrifice the urban street wall and have a plaza between the stadium and the street [[or worse, a parking lot). All things considered I think this is a pretty good outcome.

It isn't the flashiest stadium design, but then Detroit's "brand" isn't really about flashiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I tend to think that Ilitch will let someone else own/develop the Park Ave. Hotel and the Eddystone Hotel across the street.

Since they are both on the National Register of Historic Places, by being there...any attempt to tear them down actually has many financial "dis-incentives"... such as loss of historic tax credits, the loss of government funds for tearing down and redeveloping the property, lost accelerated depreciation for new construction tax writeoffs...etc.

In truth...nothing prevents people from tearing down properties on the National Register... but it causes other issues that may give the Ilitch's and the city-county-state other unpleasantries....especially this being a private-public partnership....
    I agree with Gistok.

We need to 'disaggregate the aggregate' about this huge project.

We know the Ilitches, themselves, will do the arena, parking decks, etc. etc. Maybe the office building north of Sproat, also the one next to the Fox, etc.

Housing is not their area of expertise. Someone else will need to build those structures and manage them. Will Ilitches sell the land to those developers??? Do the Ilitches want to own land which someone else builds on?

Ilitches will, I guess, probably need to find someone to redevelop those two big buildings. They will need to find a hotelier to build and operate the proposed hotel on Woodward/Henry.

What I'm getting at is this is a LOT MORE THAN SIMPLY THE ILITCHES. The Ilitches have the land and some vacant building which can be redeveloped but the Ilitches aren't going to do it pretty much solo.

250 companies are "located" at that Bingham Farms address [[including the suite #). Including Yahoo.

With the Park Ave. Hotel and the Eddystone Hotel, what could they become- apartments/lofts? Maybe with a restaurant/retail on the first floors?

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 12.52.55 PM.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  29.2 KB

whole lot of details coming out today. Including approved retail around the area and unapproved
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-commission-to

highlights:

Olympia’s housing plan on the arena site is 184 units split between 16 planned townhouse units and 168 loft-style and apartment units.
    The specific breakdown:

• 56 efficiency/lofts [[690 square feet each)
    • 20 efficiency/studios [[475 square feet)
    • 8 one-bedroom units [[960 square feet)
    • 64 one-bedroom units [[710 square feet)
    • 20 two-bedroom units [[970 square feet)
    • 16 townhouses [[1,365 square feet)

A piazza next to the arena will serve as a central gathering space for pre-event concerts, smaller events and some festivals, Olympia Development said. The lighted piazza, which will be lined with trees and possible sculptures and fountains, will be open during nonevent times and could be used as a ticketed site for events.

Along the edges of the piazza will be sidewalk café zones with tables and chairs, and amenities will include bike racks and benches throughout the area.

Olympia Development will ask the city to vacate Park Avenue between Henry and Sproat streets and Sibley Street between Clifford and Woodward Avenue to allow for pedestrian movement and to “avoid creating an unfriendly, impenetrable superblock.”

Olympia also provided examples of the types of uses that will and will not be permitted within the arena district.

Authorized: Dry-cleaning establishment, brewpub, residential, hotel, exhibition hall, offices for professional or medical, health club, restaurant, retail, sports arena.

Unauthorized: Pawn shop, warehouse operations, businesses that involve firearms or hazardous materials, bail bondsman services, topless club, alcohol/drug rehabilitation clinics, psychic or tarot-card-reading businesses.

Also here's a higher res of the overall plan: interesting notes: the townhouses will face Cass Ave [[great spot for them)

and there's a spot for A FUTURE BRT STATION OMG... that should rustle some jimmies on this forum
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 1.00.18 PM.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  36.8 KB
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; September-16-14 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Olympia also provided examples of the types of uses that will and will not be permitted within the arena district.

Authorized: Dry-cleaning establishment, brewpub, residential, hotel, exhibition hall, offices for professional or medical, health club, restaurant, retail, sports arena.

Unauthorized: Pawn shop, warehouse operations, businesses that involve firearms or hazardous materials, bail bondsman services, topless club, alcohol/drug rehabilitation clinics, psychic or tarot-card-reading businesses.
    Ok, so no Tarot card readers... what about weave shops? Quick-e-marts selling loosies? Check cashing/payday lender? Those all ok?

With the groundbreaking expected to be Sept 25th it had me thinking: Did Illitch not expect the Tigers to make the postseason because most certainly he would have to do away with his precious parking? Or will they have the groundbreaking then continue parking until end of the season at which point they will fence the area off? I guess we'll see..

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Ok, so no Tarot card readers... what about weave shops? Quick-e-marts selling loosies? Check cashing/payday lender? Those all ok?
    It was meant to be exemplary, not an exhaustive list. Of course what will happen is the Disneyland effect. The Ilitches can only hope to control what happens within the boundaries shown on the maps; the things they don't like will all pop up a block or two away. So all of you strip club mavens, don't be dismayed; you'll just have to walk or drive a little bit further.

By the way I am pleased and surprised by the mention of Park Ave. and wanting to avoid a neighborhood-destroying "superblock". Though the arena itself will be a superblock, I'm glad they thought to try to keep that phenomenon to a minimum. The more this neighborhood develops to look like Corktown in the Tiger stadium days [[albeit more upscale), the better off everyone will be.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    It was meant to be exemplary, not an exhaustive list. Of course what will happen is the Disneyland effect. The Ilitches can only hope to control what happens within the boundaries shown on the maps; the things they don't like will all pop up a block or two away. So all of you strip club mavens, don't be dismayed; you'll just have to walk or drive a little bit further.

By the way I am pleased and surprised by the mention of Park Ave. and wanting to avoid a neighborhood-destroying "superblock". Though the arena itself will be a superblock, I'm glad they thought to try to keep that phenomenon to a minimum. The more this neighborhood develops to look like Corktown in the Tiger stadium days [[albeit more upscale), the better off everyone will be.
    Agree, ProfessorScott:

The Ilitches presumably tried to control as much area around the arena and the other areas where they will develop to PREVENT someone else from putting up s*it which ruins the district.

Best way to do that is control the land yourself and not hope that someone else doesn't put up a purple colored strip club one block from your arena.

I was under the impression Harry's was not part of the new development, but it looks like it would be gone according to the new site plan. Did Harry's sell to Ilitch?

If you look at the renderings, it says "Blank Bowl" where the name should be. So, that's half the name, right? Olympia Bowl, Detroit Bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Originally Posted by bailey
    It was meant to be exemplary, not an exhaustive list.
    I was being a bit sarcastic. It struck no one else as oddly specific to bar psychics/tarot card readers from a multibillion dollar stadium district development? Is there some epidemic of tarot card readers popping up in inappropriate areas? Is this some Illitch/Macedonian thing against gypsies?
    Last edited by bailey; September-17-14 at 09:19 AM.

http://media.mlive.com/news/detroit_...g.%20FINAL.PDF

lot's of details // renderings

The Cass and woodward facing sides look amazing

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    http://media.mlive.com/news/detroit_...g.%20FINAL.PDF

lot's of details // renderings

The Cass and woodward facing sides look amazing
    That was very interesting. I hadn't thought of exacty how large an area they are talking about. However, BackBay and Georgetown don't have three stadiums and moats of parking.... very interested to see if those proposed buildings in CoPa's parking lot ever comes to fruition.

Kind of funny that, for the buildings between Comerica Park and Woodward, they are proposing cantilevering a structure over Montcalm Street, while leaving a huge and oddly shaped area open between their buildings a block south. I guess they need to preserve a clear, wide path from CoPa to Hockeytown Cafe, lest their brand image get buried in the canyons of a real downtown.

Can we talk for a second and give props to them using every street front properly?? There's retail and residential on every street wall! They even hide the giant parking garage behind the townhouses on Cass when they could've just had them up against the street and nobody would've batted an eye [[we're all making sure woodward a street wall was preserved).

This is whole area really is going to be transformed by this. Really looking forward to seeing how they renovate Cass park too

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Kind of funny that, for the buildings between Comerica Park and Woodward, they are proposing cantilevering a structure over Montcalm Street, while leaving a huge and oddly shaped area open between their buildings a block south. I guess they need to preserve a clear, wide path from CoPa to Hockeytown Cafe, lest their brand image get buried in the canyons of a real downtown.

I kind of like that they have a path from Woodward right to the main entrance of the ball park though. You're right though i would've liked a better design here. It's not the worst thing in the world though

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast