Today is the first day I could take advantage of the Cash for Clunkers deal. I've done my homework on the couple-three models I like. I'm preapproved for enough loan to cover the vehicle I ultimately choose. So I called my local Dodge dealership to arrange a test drive on Choice #1, a Caliber. There. Are. No. Calibers. Anywhere. Absolutely zero Calibers available within 100 miles of 49007, 48104, or 48021. These are the zip codes closest to home or to someone who will feed me lunch if I show up on their doorstep.

The salesperson at my most local dealership told me this situation is due to their plants being closed during the bankruptcy. Her phones have been ringing off the hook. She's sold most everything on her new car lot and could not even guess when she'd see more new vehicles.

I am, in a word, bummed. I truly did want to "buy American," but I have a finite period of time in which to buy any car. Is there anyone in this vast forum population with a clue as to where I can get information?