Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    I didn't know this, but I guess water for drinking, showering, flushing the toilet, cooking, etc., is all free in Canada. If it's not free to Canadians, when the homeowners don't pay their water bills, the bucket brigade must provide free water to them as well. I love our Canadian neighbors, but I think they should mind their own business and let Detroit get on with collecting unpaid water bills from those who choose not to pay, for whatever reason!
    Excellent point, well stated!

The big issue here isn't that people can't afford water, but rather that they were allowed not to pay but still get the service for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Excellent point, well stated!

The big issue here isn't that people can't afford water, but rather that they were allowed not to pay but still get the service for too long.
    I agree. How can the city, knowing it neglected collections for so long, and knowing the money management skills of its customers, suddenly expect to collect. They should probably wipe out all bills over 120 days and go forward with payment plans and clear shut-off policies.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I agree. How can the city, knowing it neglected collections for so long, and knowing the money management skills of its customers, suddenly expect to collect. They should probably wipe out all bills over 120 days and go forward with payment plans and clear shut-off policies.
    That's a possible solution.

I have a hard time sympathizing with people who willfully choose to prioritize non-critical things over water. I also don't like rewarding people for doing the wrong thing.

However, the city is at fault as well, and your plan addresses that aspect of it. I could see the fairness in still shutting the water off, but only demanding 120 days. This of course would only apply to residential customers.

Nice gesture. Nice posturing. But water isn't what's needed. Its money.

So please keep 'our' water. But do please pay their water bills.

There's no water shortage. Just a money shortage.

And in some cases a PRIORITY shortage! I've always paid my water bill and I sacrifice to be able to pay my core bills 'first'. For years, as I said elsewhere, it was known that nothing changed rather one paid the water bill or not. Heck! The bill didn't even come in your name. Just 'residence', and for sure some of the dead-beat landlords where not making it a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Nice gesture. Nice posturing. But water isn't what's needed. Its money.

So please keep 'our' water. But do please pay their water bills.

There's no water shortage. Just a money shortage.

Without getting into the who's right/who's wrong of this issue I applaud the Canadian effort.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Without getting into the who's right/who's wrong of this issue I applaud the Canadian effort.
    TW, what about this effort is laudable? They've done nothing. Bringing water jugs is nothing but symbolism. The same water is available at their local church.

I see this issue as a non-issue. It is simply a talking point -- and I don't agree with applauding talking points.

If you believe water should be free to everyone, that's a reasonable opinion. I don't agree. But in Detroit, we are indeed awash in good, cheap water. It would be a more difficult argument in, say, LA, Sacremento, or Phoenix. Giving away water there would be an environmental resource waste.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; July-07-14 at 11:02 AM.

It would be more efficient for these Canadians to just pay these water bills although the theater aspect would be lost. No one should be cut off from water. Michigan should shoulder the bill through welfare but since most of Michigan has a lower median income than Detroit, Michigan should set some qualifiers such as no cable tv, cars worth more than 'x', or other non-necessary assets. Another less meddlesome approach would be to deduct water bills from welfare benefits after such benefits were raised enough to pay for water. There would then be an incentive to moderate water use. if Canadians want to do a photo op with water jugs, that's ok too.

I think to obtain state public assistance you have to list the kind of car you have. Perhaps not. I know I cannot afford cable TV. And Canadian water 'bottle' photo opt will be of little use come late November.

DWSD needs to get their billing together too. The three month billing cycle only help create this volcano of debt and unpaid bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I know I cannot afford cable TV.
    Yes you can. Just don't pay your water bill. They don't do anything anyway.

Well actually I think cable is over-priced so that is why I don't even try to afford it. I've fully adapted to streamed TV now.

To the point: You know the dead-beat landlord is a factor here. Most of these two and four-family homes and other rental property in the D have one [[1) water bill going to one particular resident [[unit) that is to be paid by owner of property who chooses/ chose to ignore it, until -- well, until the day of reckoning: shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yes you can. Just don't pay your water bill. They don't do anything anyway.