Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Doing the honorable thing doesn't require a belief in the benefit or detriment of Unions to society and workers -- one should do the honorable thing regardless of your opinions.

I think we do owe a good pension to retirees -- but I don't think we can do this at the cost of ignoring our obligations to current residents, nor at the cost of people who didn't make those promises.

When you receive a promise, you must always look at the integrity and financial solvency of the person who is granting the promise. City workers got promises from a homeless street person.

Some of the responsibility for Detroit's mess belongs to the workers, too.

Thus, I'm in favor a basic, low-level pension for all city workers, regardless of years worked. Everyone deserves at least the same basic pension. Nobody deserves to get their $100,000 pension whole. It should not have been promised. The city couldn't afford it without harming others. That's what's happening now.

We should be looking at the entire situation and striking balance. Not blindly following promises made without caring who we harm.
    Actually in the main I agree with you. But in the main expecting seniors to suffer is dead wrong.

For the record neither my husband or I were ever union members nor city workers.

The city did shoot itself in the foot with bad contracts that were outsourced.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Actually in the main I agree with you. But in the main expecting seniors to suffer is dead wrong.

For the record neither my husband or I were ever union members nor city workers.

The city did shoot itself in the foot with bad contracts that were outsourced.
    I agree with you. We should do everything we can to protect those seniors who have very small pensions. [[And those with bigger pensions should be contributing to them.)

The best thing we can do is to right the financial ship -- which is happening. And then stop focusing on income inequality, racism, outsourcing, quantity of city jobs, union work requirements, work rules and just run an efficient city that takes care of trash, water, schools, transit, police, and fire. No more absurd Human Rights departments. No more racial preferences. No more city residence thoughts. Just focus on core needs. Once good city services are returned at a reasonable tax rate, then we can worry about all that.