Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Hahahaha, dude looks like he got socked one good time in the eye. He was drunk driving the wrong way on a one way, I'd like to punch him once myself just for that... and I'm white.

I bet he figured if he made up some bullshit Utash type story that he could save face and be known as the victim as opposed to being known as the drunk driving idiot.
    In the world I want to live in, two people get into a car accident, they both get out of their car, and they exchange insurance information while the cops arrive. At the risk of angering the anti-colonization crowd, I stand on the position that the people who respond to a car accident by assaulting the driver are in bad need of a little civilization.

It's stories like this that make me totally fine with the idea of having MSP share jurisdiction with DPD.

And while Janice Winfrey is mouthing off about blacks not feeling welcome on Belle Isle, we should talk about how beating people up after a car accident doesnt do a lot to make anyone from any background feel more welcome in Detroit. In fact, it might be the kind of thing that makes even Detroiters not feel welcome in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    So for my son who is part of the younger crowd in Detroit human life means nothing? And all his friends and their friends too?
    You know exactly what he means by saying that. Don't play dumb. If your kid is a piece of trash, then he's talking about him. If he isn't, then he's not.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    You know exactly what he means by saying that. Don't play dumb. If your kid is a piece of trash, then he's talking about him. If he isn't, then he's not.
    Wow You have a way with words. How is anyone supposed to react to blunt statements like gushi's? Maybe that is a perfect example of the Wink Wink logic the racists read better than others.

Paging the Frank Rizzos...
    Last edited by canuck; June-10-14 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Hahahaha, dude looks like he got socked one good time in the eye. He was drunk driving the wrong way on a one way, I'd like to punch him once myself just for that... and I'm white.
    Right, because traffic violations are properly remedied by vigilante race attacks...

I think there is more to the story here because the story doesn't add up. If this guy is from GPP, why would he be driving the wrong way [[towards the Detroit) on Vernor to get home? A right turn onto Vernor [[the proper direction) would take him home. Either he was really drunk or there is something more to it. I'm not saying it's ok to beat someone up for causing an accident, but it sounds like more than an honest mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    I think there is more to the story here because the story doesn't add up. If this guy is from GPP, why would he be driving the wrong way [[towards the Detroit) on Vernor to get home? A right turn onto Vernor [[the proper direction) would take him home. Either he was really drunk or there is something more to it. I'm not saying it's ok to beat someone up for causing an accident, but it sounds like more than an honest mistake.
    Oh Bullshit, I did the same thing a few years back trying to get around a movie shoot in IV. It wasn't until the DPD stopped me that I realized what I'd done. I was dead sober. Detroit streets are dark, poorly marked, filled with abandoned buildings. This thread kills me. Another thread reads "How can we stop suburban sprawl and force people to move back?" Here's a clue, quit taking the law into your own hands and exercising street justice. Maybe the Pointer "disrespected them"? SMMH.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Oh Bullshit, I did the same thing a few years back trying to get around a movie shoot in IV. It wasn't until the DPD stopped me that I realized what I'd done. I was dead sober. Detroit streets are dark, poorly marked, filled with abandoned buildings. This thread kills me. Another thread reads "How can we stop suburban sprawl and force people to move back?" Here's a clue, quit taking the law into your own hands and exercising street justice. Maybe the Pointer "disrespected them"? SMMH.
    It was 4 in the afternoon on a bright and sunny day...and the guy lives/is familiar with the area and was "heading home" [[although, in the opposite direction of home?) and there was no movie shoot or other impediment.

It is never ok to beat someone for causing an accident, but it does seem we don't have the total story.

Maybe he came out swinging in his drunken, wrong way driving stupor? they arrested one of alleged attackers... either his story is corroborated or rebutted. we'll see.
    Last edited by bailey; June-10-14 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    It was 4 in the afternoon on a bright and sunny day...and the guy lives/is familiar with the area and was "heading home" [[although, in the opposite direction of home?) and there was no movie shoot or other impediment.

It is never ok to beat someone for causing an accident, but it does seem we don't have the total story.

Maybe he came out swinging in his drunken, wrong way driving stupor? they arrested one of alleged attackers... either his story is corroborated or rebutted. we'll see.
    I think that's probably the best way to look at it right now. Stay cool, people ...

I could care less if he used the dreaded "N" word or not, no excuse for taking the law into your own hands. The proper response is "another drunken asshole from the Pointes", then call the cops and wait, [[and wait, and wait, and wait, etc.) Everyone has a cell phone if not a smart phone these days. Take pictures or a video of the guy if he's D & D.

LOL @ people wanting to wait for more details. We have the information we need. The suburban driver was obviously racially profiled and then beaten by a group of ruthless Detroit thugs. There is nothing more to learn here except for if the assailants will be properly charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Detroit rises? No, Detroit crashes and burns!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I could care less if he used the dreaded "N" word or not, no excuse for taking the law into your own hands. The proper response is "another drunken asshole from the Pointes", then call the cops and wait, [[and wait, and wait, and wait, etc.) Everyone has a cell phone if not a smart phone these days. Take pictures or a video of the guy if he's D & D.
    I don't know... someone comes careening down the street, going the wrong way, hammered, and slams into me and then spills out of the vehicle and gets all belligerent and in my face about it, I might not react in a calm and collected manner. I might just beat the shit out of him until he shuts his drunk ass up. [[but again, making assumptions not in evidence yet). Might not be right, but it might happen.

we don't know the actual facts. We know the story being told by the guy who was going the wrong way down a street on his way [[the opposite/very long way) home from the bar on a Saturday afternoon.
    Last edited by bailey; June-10-14 at 11:09 AM.

I'm struggling to see how getting beat for 20 minutes looks like a single punch to the eye. I've been in fights that lasted a minute or less and one of the people involved [[sometime I won, sometimes I lost) looked a lot worse than this guy.

I'm guessing there is more to the story but will wait to see what comes out.

A few things about this thread/article that stick out to me:

1. People claiming the assailaints should have held him and called the police. What world do you live in that makes you believe DPD would have shown up?

2. The accident was 2-3 blocks south of the Texas Bar and his girlfriend indicated their only car is totaled. How fast was he going to total his car in a matter of a couple blocks.

3. I don't believe anyone has ever gone to the Texas Bar and only had one drink. Did the police or EMS give him a breathalyzer/pull blood?

4. If it plays out like the driver claims, the guys involved should be charged to the fullest extent of the law.

I'm skeptical, the story of what happened prior to him getting punched in the face doesn't add up.

To add to my skepticism based upon a quick search:

1. https://www.giveforward.com/fundrais...e-szczerbinski

There is already a page asking for donations.

2. https://www.google.com/search?q=%22N...nt%3B640%3B480

The picture above shows him with his daughter sitting on him in the hospital. So after being repeatedly kicked for 20 minutes there is no pain from having a [[guessing) 10 pound baby sitting on his mid section.

Last I heard, a brutal, 20 minute beating at the hands of three people results in more than a black eye/messed up cheek bone.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I'm struggling to see how getting beat for 20 minutes looks like a single punch to the eye. I've been in fights that lasted a minute or less and one of the people involved [[sometime I won, sometimes I lost) looked a lot worse than this guy.

I'm guessing there is more to the story but will wait to see what comes out.

A few things about this thread/article that stick out to me:

2. The accident was 2-3 blocks south of the Texas Bar and his girlfriend indicated their only car is totaled. How fast was he going to total his car in a matter of a couple blocks.

3. I don't believe anyone has ever gone to the Texas Bar and only had one drink. Did the police or EMS give him a breathalyzer/pull blood?
    I'm with you that something just doesn't add up... .but if he went fetal after punches started getting thrown as he claims, I could see only having the cracked eye socket.

How much does it take to total out an at least 10 yr old plastic car like a Grand Am? [[i'm throwing out ten years if they bought it new the last year of production...which I'm guessing is very generous)

Texas bar, one drink? no one. ever.
    Last edited by bailey; June-10-14 at 11:16 AM.

I'm with you that something just doesn't add up... .but if he went fetal as he claims, I could see only having the cracked eye socket.

How much does it take to total out an at least 10 yr old plastic car like a Grand Am? [[i'm throwing out ten years if they bought it new the last year of production...which I'm guessing is very generous)

Texas bar? no one. ever.
    Good point regarding the amount to total an older Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    Yeah, I disagree. I live in the Farms and like to take new routes home from work [[downtown). I have accidentally gone the wrong way back in those areas - the streets are not always clearly marked. If you are not familiar with the neighborhood then it is easy to make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    Yeah, I disagree. I live in the Farms and like to take new routes home from work [[downtown). I have accidentally gone the wrong way back in those areas - the streets are not always clearly marked. If you are not familiar with the neighborhood then it is easy to make mistakes.
    I bet you know that turning LEFT [[south) onto Vernor is going to take you AWAY from the Farms though.

The guy was going 180 degrees in the wrong direction both to be "on his way home" and traffic wise. ....in the middle of the afternoon, on a bright sunny day, in an area where he is a regular.

The ooops I got lost excuse would make sense if he was from Troy or something.

Goodness, it's turning into the Detroit News comments section around here. And for a story about which there are still several unclear details, and a bunch of stuff that doesn't really mesh.

I will say that anyone who is a regular at Texas, as this guy apparently was, should reasonably know his way around in that neighborhood. Particularly if they live in the adjacent parts of GP Park where the street pattern is essentially the same. In fact, in my limited time there with friends and relatives, it seemed that most of the people who drank in that bar had grown up in that neighborhood and moved elsewhere nearby [[if they didn't still live there).

Oh, and just to orient folks, since some of the posts here are a little misleading, Vernor is a block north of the bar, which is on Kercheval. Vernor is one-way eastbound [[towards GP Park). The driver apparently drove 2 or 3 blocks westbound, against traffic, on Vernor before the collision, which happened near the corner of Vernor and Chalmers.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-10-14 at 01:47 PM.

GUSHI Guest

This reminds me of what happen to me, back in the late 90s, my dad's doctor was in hamtramck, so I would drop my dad off before I went to work in troy and pick him up, after I dropped him off, heading north on Conant, the lights were all stuck on green, as I went thru the light I nailed a toyota 4 runner, the guys I hit was very upset, his gf had to talk him down, so I pulled in by the churches chicken, next to a bus stop, I had a crowd of locals waiting for the bus steering me down. boy was I ever happy to see dpd, they sent a couple of officers out due to the light being stuck on green, no one got a ticket, and I got a ride with the tow truck driver to the body shop. 2 things if the guys gf would of not stepped in to cool him down and 2nd if the cops wouldn't of showed up, when they did who knows if I would still be around. What I learned is you don't stop for lights in detroit and call the cops if u get in a accident before getting out of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    This reminds me of what happen to me, back in the late 90s, my dad's doctor was in hamtramck, so I would drop my dad off before I went to work in troy and pick him up, after I dropped him off, heading north on Conant, the lights were all stuck on green, as I went thru the light I nailed a toyota 4 runner, the guys I hit was very upset, his gf had to talk him down, so I pulled in by the churches chicken, next to a bus stop, I had a crowd of locals waiting for the bus steering me down. boy was I ever happy to see dpd, they sent a couple of officers out due to the light being stuck on green, no one got a ticket, and I got a ride with the tow truck driver to the body shop. 2 things if the guys gf would of not stepped in to cool him down and 2nd if the cops wouldn't of showed up, when they did who knows if I would still be around. What I learned is you don't stop for lights in detroit and call the cops if u get in a accident before getting out of the car.
    A pretty long post to state [[1) nothing happened to you and [[2) you don't believe the laws apply to you. Thanks for the clarification.

GUSHI Guest

Detroit is the wild Wild West, look what happen to the guy at the parade, most of these young kids are causing all the trouble. the fucked up part is grew up in that area, and I was worried about my life, that was in the 90s when everything was more stable, now a days I got some punks coming towards my car , they better hope they can dodge it, I'm giving it gas,

GUSHI Guest

Hey every 1 move to the city, it's a safe fun family raising zone.

Detroit is the wild Wild West, look what happen to the guy at the parade, most of these young kids are causing all the trouble. the fucked up part is grew up in that area, and I was worried about my life, that was in the 90s when everything was more stable, now a days I got some punks coming towards my car , they better hope they can dodge it, I'm giving it gas,
    It's a lack of discipline. These kids grow up thinking that they can wail on anyone for whatever reason and that it's acceptable to do it because no one says/does anything to stop them. And they're continually reinforced with this idea as they get older until they eventually either A) someone actually puts them in their place, or B) they lose friends for doing it. These beatings are a show of force so that they can go home feeling like they have power in the world.

But I'd bet, most of these kids don't stop until they beat someone and end up in jail as that's whats mostly happening in the recent cases.

I'm in the city almost every day, 5 or 6 times a week for the last 35.5 years. I stop for every traffic light that's red. If I didn't I'm sure I would have had some tickets by now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast