New Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MONDAY, JANUARY 25, 2016
CONTACT: Rob Morosi, MDOT Office of Communications, 248-483-5107, morosir@michigan.gov

Land use options next stage of possible

I-375 transformation in Detroit

January 25, 2016 -- A transformation of the I-375 freeway is still an option. That is one of the conclusions reached by a recent study conducted by the Michigan Department of Transportation [[MDOT), the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. [[DEGC) and the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy [[DRFC), and was announced today to key stakeholders along the corridor. The key observation from this Planning and Environmental Linkages [[PEL) study is that a connection to the riverfront from I-375 is essential.

While all six alternatives for the freeway transformation are still on the table, the next step is conducting a land use study before a final decision is made on a preference.

The PEL study is intended to streamline planning efforts to reduce time and cost during future project phases. Results completed under this study are intended to be used during a future analysis required under the National Environmental Policy Act.

"An in-depth analysis of transportation operations lead us to six viable alternatives," said Kelby Wallace, MDOT project manager. "The next step is to look at land use options in conjunction with the existing alternatives and how they function with other efforts taking place near I-375."

Other pursuits that may influence future land use options include the East Jefferson/Riverfront study by the RiverFront Conservancy, Eastern Market's long-range plan, Brewster Douglass development, and M-3 [[Gratiot Avenue) as a bus rapid transit [[BRT) route and its connection to I-375. Recommendations from these activities will help guide future land use options if the I-375 corridor is changed from its current below-grade freeway configuration.

"There is no timetable set for when a land use analysis will be started," said Wallace. "We will review the completion of other studies as a template for potential opportunities for land use around I-375."

It is expected the land use study will analyze opportunities such as additional neighborhood connectivity, improved gateway to the riverfront, and further development potential.
A review of the six alternatives is available at www.michigan.gov/i375study.