Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Not particularly. The article has some nice visualizations of the project, history of how it impacted [[aka, destroyed) Black Bottom and Paradise Valley and some of the next steps, which include getting approval from the Federal Highway Administration and public comment.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Not particularly. The article has some nice visualizations of the project, history of how it impacted [[aka, destroyed) Black Bottom and Paradise Valley and some of the next steps, which include getting approval from the Federal Highway Administration and public comment.
    I disagree, I actually think that there were several anecdotes of particular importance..

“... Weighing in last month, the CEO of billionaire Dan Gilbert's real estate development company dropped a memo to MDOT outlining the company's priorities for the project.

Kofi Bonner of Bedrock said he'd like to see bike lanes on both borders of the boulevard, not just the east side the way it's drawn on a mock-up. He wants traffic connections to Brush Park and the site of the former Brewster-Douglass housing projects, where Bedrock has developments in the works. He wants construction delays minimized.

But the first item on his list is fewer lanes...”"

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    I disagree, I actually think that there were several anecdotes of particular importance..

“... Weighing in last month, the CEO of billionaire Dan Gilbert's real estate development company dropped a memo to MDOT outlining the company's priorities for the project.

Kofi Bonner of Bedrock said he'd like to see bike lanes on both borders of the boulevard, not just the east side the way it's drawn on a mock-up. He wants traffic connections to Brush Park and the site of the former Brewster-Douglass housing projects, where Bedrock has developments in the works. He wants construction delays minimized.

When I spoke to one of the engineers at the meeting he said that Bedrock has been very active in trying to get this project moving along and that he was hopeful it would get moved up in part because of Bedrock, so I think that quote does hold quite a bit of significance.

He said BCBS was the real sourpuss about it, but they've come around.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    When I spoke to one of the engineers at the meeting he said that Bedrock has been very active in trying to get this project moving along and that he was hopeful it would get moved up in part because of Bedrock, so I think that quote does hold quite a bit of significance.
    Not at all surprising since this is a massive benefit to downtown and the city.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post

As a bicyclist myself, I am very pro-bike facilities. Detroit has made a lot of improvements over the past few years, but still has a ways to go to be truly bike friendly.

That all being said, one of my biggest annoyances with my bicyclist brethren is so many argue that every street needs bike lanes, which I think really hurts our cause. Every street does not need bike lanes, including this new 375 boulevard.

The bicyclist focus should be on better accommodations for us going east-west across the boulevard, and not really north-south. Even if reimagined as a pretty boulevard, 375 is functionally still a road for cars to get to/from I-75. As a bicyclist, I have no need to get to I-75. Instead provide me safe and convenient ways to bike east-west, and leave north-south to the cars.

I’d much rather they focus on St Antoine or Brush for us bicyclists going north-south to Brush Park, like what was done on Cass. Just because I can, I have no desire to ride on streets that are very car congested. That includes Woodward north of Grand Circus, and will include whatever design they come up for 375. So put the bike emphasis on east-west, not north-south.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    As a bicyclist myself, I am very pro-bike facilities. Detroit has made a lot of improvements over the past few years, but still has a ways to go to be truly bike friendly.

That all being said, one of my biggest annoyances with my bicyclist brethren is so many argue that every street needs bike lanes, which I think really hurts our cause. Every street does not need bike lanes, including this new 375 boulevard.

The bicyclist focus should be on better accommodations for us going east-west across the boulevard, and not really north-south. Even if reimagined as a pretty boulevard, 375 is functionally still a road for cars to get to/from I-75. As a bicyclist, I have no need to get to I-75. Instead provide me safe and convenient ways to bike east-west, and leave north-south to the cars.

I’d much rather they focus on St Antoine or Brush for us bicyclists going north-south to Brush Park, like what was done on Cass. Just because I can, I have no desire to ride on streets that are very car congested. That includes Woodward north of Grand Circus, and will include whatever design they come up for 375. So put the bike emphasis on east-west, not north-south.
    That makes a LOT of sense.