Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jimmyr Guest

Default UPDATE-Conyers Back on Ballot <Rep Conyers is going to be a write-in candidate

Jump to UPDATE discussion >>

Original thread starter begins below
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Two of his circulators were not registered voters. Then their names suddenly pop up in voter registration database Tuesday with dates backdated to December by a supervisor [[no big deal, just casual Detroit fraud). When caught in their scheme by reporter they then acknowledge these losers registered to vote Monday, April 28, so the date was changed back to April 28.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/j...sible/25724354
    Last edited by jimmyr; April-30-14 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/j...sible/25724354

Two of his circulators were not registered voters. Then their names suddenly pop up in voter registration database with dates backdated to December by a supervisor [[i.e., FRAUD), yet they then acknowledge these losers registered to vote Monday, April 28, so the date was changed back to April 28.

How can Detroit move forward when this casual fraud is so rampant? Unreal.
    from the article, the circulators were only responsible for 300 signatures... if they had 2000 signatures, throwing theirs out wouldn't boot him.

He turned in 2000 signatures, but only 1193 were deemed to be registered voters in the district. If the 300 were declared ineligible, he would certainly be booted off of the ballot. I will venture no guess on the likelihood of that. I will say this, though: John Conyers has never been the aggressive, go-getting manager-type that Mike Duggan is. I doubt he and his cronies have either the organizational skills or energy to mount a successful write-in campaign. Since the winner of the primary will win the election, I am resigned that the next Congressman will be a liberal Democrat, so I am more or less neutral about the outcome.

The title of this thread states he won't be on the ballot, but there is no actual certainty of that.

Default Conyers DQed - clerk says congressman lacks signatures to run

"Wayne County Clerk Cathy Garrett said Friday she has disqualified the signatures from two petition circulators for U.S. Rep. John Conyers, a preliminary decision that the Detroit Democrat’s outside attorney said would not stop him from staying on the Aug. 5 primary ballot.
    “A couple of the circulators that originally stated they had been registered since Dec. 13, that now has been rescinded and changed in the qualified voter file, which now states they have been registered as of April 28,” Garrett said, referring to a report from Detroit Clerk Janice Winfrey about the Detroit petition collectors’ voter registration status.
    “This office is guided and led by statues and laws. The fact that those two individuals are disqualified because the voter file has been changed, then the congressman at this point will not have enough signatures.”
    Michigan requires petition circulators to be registered voters, according to the Secretary of State office’s rules. Conyers’ primary challenger, longtime family friend the Rev. Horace Sheffield of Detroit, wanted the signatures collected by unregistered voters to be deemed invalid.
    In question were 314 signatures by petition circulators Tiara Willis-Pittman, 19, and Daniel Pennington, 23, of Detroit. Without their collected signatures, Conyers falls below the 1,000 needed to qualify for the ballot. He earlier this week had 1,193 signatures, according to the County Clerk’s Office.
    But Conyers’ attorney predicted Conyers would prevail in the long process and indicated he would try to restore the validity of some of the more than 800 signatures previously disqualified by the Wayne County Clerk’s Office..."

Full article here

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz30azwtqX2

Wayne County Clerk Cathy Garrett now says she does not believe U.S. Rep. John Conyers has enough valid signatures to qualify for the Aug. 5 primary ballot.

She confirmed this afternoon that she received a letter from Detroit City Clerk Janice Winfrey Wednesday night saying that the date that two people who collected signatures for the Conyers campaign were legally registered to vote had been changed from Dec. 13, 2013, to April 28, 2014.

“With that being said and with the dates being changed from Ms. Winfrey’s office, it says at this time that the congressman would not have enough signatures,” Garrett said.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014050...-Cathy-Garrett

Conyers short of signatures needed for ballot
    USA TODAY - ‎1 hour ago‎

DETROIT -- After a second review of petitions turned in by Democratic Rep. John Conyers, the Wayne County Clerk has found the longtime congressman only turned in 592 valid signatures, far short of the 1,000 needed to qualify for the Aug. 5 primary ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Conyers short of signatures needed for ballot
    USA TODAY - ‎1 hour ago‎

DETROIT -- After a second review of petitions turned in by Democratic Rep. John Conyers, the Wayne County Clerk has found the longtime congressman only turned in 592 valid signatures, far short of the 1,000 needed to qualify for the Aug. 5 primary ballot.
    YDS-Didn't you learn anything in all those years in Washington?

ACLU is fighting this saying it's unconstitutional to require petition circulators to be registered voters?

I'd love to see Conyers removed from government. There's no way he went to bed with that felon every night and had nothing to do with her bribery schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'd love to see Conyers removed from government. There's no way he went to bed with that felon every night and had nothing to do with her bribery schemes.
    you assume they've lived together...which allegedly hasn't been true for quite some time.

and, of course the alternative is Horrace Sheffield....so I don't see how there is any improvement.

How the mighty have fallen. Steve Hood accepts the blame for the debacle he created by not vetting those whom he hired to collect valid signatures for Rep. Conyers ballot nomination. Yet, not 11 months ago, the same Steve Hood called for the flogging of Mike Duggan's campaign manager for filing his candidates ballot petitions too early. Watch it here on Fox2News "Let It Rip", around the 9:30-10 minute mark.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22...lot-in-detroit

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Well, there's no way he went to bed with her more than the amount of children he's had. He's a homosexual [[not that it matters at all) and she's likely been blackmailing him for that and other assorted tidbits for years.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Well, there's no way he went to bed with her more than the amount of children he's had. He's a homosexual [[not that it matters at all) and she's likely been blackmailing him for that and other assorted tidbits for years.
    I don't care much about Mr. Conyers either way, but I think it's pretty reckless to say that he's been blackmailed "for years" without evidence. As for his sexuality: A) How would you know that? B) Why would you care?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I don't care much about Mr. Conyers either way, but I think it's pretty reckless to say that he's been blackmailed "for years" without evidence. As for his sexuality: A) How would you know that? B) Why would you care?
    It's a long running local speculation/open secret [[depending who you talk to). sort of like Lindsey Graham or Roy Cohn..... if it walks and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Maybe he can work with his wife at the collision shop.....

I don't really care about his sexual orientation, or whether or not he actually sleeps with his wife. What I do care about is whether or not he is effective @ his job, or does he just come in everyday? Given the two choices running, it's whether I want to get poked in the eye with a sharp stick, or get kicked hard in the jewels. I wish someone would run I could get behind. When an error was discovered with Mr. Duggan's filing deadline, he had to jump through hoops to get on the ballot. I believe the same circumstances should apply for Mr. Conyers.

If at first you don't succeed just change the rules until you do. I wonder...... if you can't even get on the ballot the right way how can you handle big issues like the U.S. government?

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityTrikes View Post
    If at first you don't succeed just change the rules until you do. I wonder...... if you can't even get on the ballot the right way how can you handle big issues like the U.S. government?
    Many folks raised a similar question about Duggan.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Many folks raised a similar question about Duggan.
    The Duggan situation was largely dissimilar, though also led to his needing to run as a write in. His signatures were abundant and properly obtained; the law just required him to wait one year after moving into the city to file; he was early by a week.

When it came out that Steve Hood was the consultant that apparently was responsible for the petition gathering hires, I had to shake my head. Somebody with his tenure should have known that these potential hang-ups could happen. I don’t particularly agree with the current law but doing due diligence on background checks is paramount. To me, so many of Detroit’s political class—at this point in particular, the baby-boomer aged folks, self-described activists and consultants, strategists, etc., have failed urban Detroit along with many of those that they helped to elect. Certain folks from Gen X [[i.e., Kwame Kilpatrick, Charles Pugh) have also made catastrophically bad allegiances with old-guard politicos to achieve their initial success, only to fall from grace terribly due in part to their own hubris. So many Detroit “insiders” publicly trumpet their fealty to the civil rights icons of the 50s 60s and 70s [[especially the triumvirate of Rosa, Martin and Malcolm), but ultimately have aligned themselves with the “hustle” that often reflects today’s “urban activism angle”: Using ambiguous non-profit agencies to shield for-profit operations and giveaways to buddies; ubiquitous pastoral allegiances that get, frankly, incestuous, for a city/region that is supposed to respect the separation of church and state; the ostentatious prosperity of area mega-churches being seen as progress in and of itself while said structures are frequently surrounded by omnipresent blight and whose parishioners, in the aggregate, are impoverished. It is very embittering to witness this as a relatively young, longtime urban resident. It seems like so many people are in line to be king/queen [[or kingmaker) of a [[crumbling) castle that nobody takes the time to really address the city’s economic implosion nor the gimmickry masquerading as pious activism. I’m done with it all.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; May-15-14 at 04:03 PM.

I doubt he and his cronies have either the organizational skills or energy to mount a successful write-in campaign.

If he runs as a write-in candidate, he has name recognition in his favor.
    Last edited by 248lurker; May-15-14 at 06:21 PM.

From what I gather

The person paid to get the signatures [[Steve Hood)

->subcontracted a person[[Skip Mongo) to gather the invalid signature collecters

->Who is the brother of Adolph Mongo

->Who happens to be the campaign manager of Conyers opponent Horace Sheffield

If walks like sabotage and talks like sabotage.

Sure looks like Conyers hired some starving wolves as shepherds.

^^^^So this is the "cesspool" folks are referring to.....needs some treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    ^^^^So this is the "cesspool" folks are referring to.....needs some treatment.

Better get a tanker full, we're gonna need it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast