Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    Where is the notion that his downtown efforts are "foundering" coming from?
    Seems pretty obvious to me. It's been nearly 10 years now since Gilbert made his announcement and all his billions have done little. He has yet to attract one retailer of note. Woodward looks basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    That's right, from uninformed, disconnected naysayers like yourself. It's a pretty black-and-white thing. What did downtown look like 5 years ago and what does it look like now? Most of the credit can be given to one person.
    Downtown looks about the same as 5 years ago, even as the economy has rebounded. I guess we have Gilbert to thank for the stagnant situation? Maybe throw him even more subsidies, and he'll finally attract something other than a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Seems pretty obvious to me. It's been nearly 10 years now since Gilbert made his announcement and all his billions have done little. He has yet to attract one retailer of note. Woodward looks basically the same.
    Patience my friend. I work downtown and I can tell you the difference between from the pre-Quicken days are amazing. Campus Martius has been bustling with people. There are many new lunch options. A new 10 story parking structure has been built. Rent prices have gone up as demand has greatly increased.

There's still a ton of room for improvement. We still would love to see new things like residential high-rise contruction, streetwall restoration, etc...

However, it's only been five or so years [[not the decade that you're trying to turn it into). Change takes time. To whine that Downtown Detroit hasn't had a radical transformation in five years is silly.

The things that have been accomplished in five years is amazing and momentum is now in the CBD's favor. I'm excited to see what the next five years will have in store for folks that live or work downtown.